Command & Conquer 4 Includes Internet Connection DRM

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Earlier this month, I urged everyone to avoid purchasing Assassin's Creed 2. The reason had to do with the absurd DRM scheme, one that essentially ruins your gameplay if you A) don't have an Internet connection at the time or B) your Internet connection happens to drop off during gameplay. It's unfortunate that game developers pushes around its legal customers so much, and sadly, it seems like the only way to fix the issue is to let your wallet do the talking.

candc_4_internet_connection_032510_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Altrus

Coastermaker
Yea...putting in your email and password to play a single player game is a bit annoying....

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
CRACK!

Again, the only time I support cracking copyright protection is when you actually own the game and don't want to tool around with the disk or in this instance where you need a stable connection just to play a single player game.

While I don't like this method it's nice to know that "enterprising individuals" will fix the situtation. It's just unfortunate that companies have to resort to this because of these same "enterprising individuals".

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
the game play looks like total shit! wheres the good old base building etc..??!? I want the good old C&C gameplay back! damn YE EA!!! :mad:

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Very amusing, in a sad sort of way... unfortunately their editor finally gave up on the game, which says it all right there.

Welp. I've tried to be open-minded. But my 'net connection is finicky--and the constant disruption of my C&C4 SP game makes this unplayable.
2:03 AM Mar 21st via web

Altrus

Coastermaker
the game play looks like total shit! wheres the good old base building etc..??!? I want the good old C&C gameplay back! damn YE EA!!! :mad:

Yea its a RTT not a RTS....much to my dismay :p

P.S.- RTT is Real Time Tactics Game...I've never really heard the term used too much so I thought I'd explain.

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
i miss Westwood! :(

Your not the only one.... Damn EA, buying up the competition, destroying the brand, absorbing assets, then make 10 more games with the same name just to make sure it's officially killed, and since they own the IP and the brand, the original developers (who've already left), can't make the way it should have been. Think my eye's will bleed when the next Sims add-on pack is released... too late.... i'm blind....

:mad:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Hmm...I like tactics games after cutting my teeth on Shining Force way back on the Genesis. I may have to check this out even though most seem to think it's terrible.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Your not the only one.... Damn EA, buying up the competition, destroying the brand, absorbing assets, then make 10 more games with the same name just to make sure it's officially killed, and since they own the IP and the brand, the original developers (who've already left), can't make the way it should have been. Think my eye's will bleed when the next Sims add-on pack is released... too late.... i'm blind....

:mad:

soo true! though i'm kinda waiting for EA to release Mirror's Edge 2! without the DRM crapp though! lol!

didn't these Westwood guys start a new company or summat? :confused:

x.clay

Obliviot
I've been a fan of the C&C 4 series but I really don't care for C&C 4. I miss building a base and the command points limit you to a pretty small force. No more rolling over your enemy with an army 30+ mammoth tanks. Also most of the missions I've played so far seem to be totally geared towards co-op play and you feel like you are a severe disadvantage if you play solo.

Altrus

Coastermaker
Hmm...I like tactics games after cutting my teeth on Shining Force way back on the Genesis. I may have to check this out even though most seem to think it's terrible.

Hmm....Shining Force, if its the game I'm thinking of then C&C4 isn't like that, its a RTT because it doesn't have enough features to be considered an RTS. Things like Economics, Resources, politics, infrastructure, etc, have all been removed, eg. all units are free, your base is one all-in-one unit, and they're is just a Unit Cap. to dictate how many troops you have. Basically, instead of focusing on all the "strategy" that surrounds a battle((that includes the actual tactics of the battle)) it only focuses on the "tactics" of the battle itself...

Last edited: