COD: Black Ops with 3D Vision Review

Test PC
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core running factory settings
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
Memory: 6 Gig DDR3-1333 Corsair
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200rpm 64mb cache Western Digital Caviar Black
Video Card: A single Nvidia GTX480 (not overclocked)
Monitor: Samsung 22 inch 2233rz 3D Vision Ready LCD running at 120hz
3D Glasses: nvidia 3d Vision
Mouse: Logitech G700 gaming grade wireless
Headset: Logitech G930 gaming grade wireless

Let me get this out of the way right now. This is not a review of the game. This is simply my opinion on how COD: Black Ops plays on my PC using 3D Vision. I should mention that nothing in my pc is overclocked. My processor, video card, etc… are all running at factory defaults. And I am only running a single video card.

I updated my nVidia 3d Vision drivers to the latest drivers. I started up the game and it notifies me in green letters that this game has a 3D Vision rating of “Excellent”.

So let’s get to it! How does COD: Black Ops look and playing using 3D Vision glasses on my pc? Actually it looks quite good. Everything looks as it should in 3D.

I have played other PC 3D games that looked great but there would be something in the game that detracted from the 3D experience. For example, one first person shooter game I played did all the action in amazing 3D but the weapon cross hairs or weapon scope were in 2D and ruined the 3d experience for me. That was not the case with Black Ops. The weapon scope was in 3D, as was everything else that was supposed to be which was helping with the immersion.

The most common problem playing PC games in 3D is that many games are so choppy that they are unplayable in 3D. If you haven’t played a 3D game on the pc you should be aware that there is a significant frame rate drop in the game the moment you turn on 3D mode. Most games have a 50% frame rate drop or more with 3d mode turned on. So if your game runs at 50 frames per second in 2d mode, then when you turn on 3d mode your game will drop to at least 25fps. So you can understand why the game can be quite choppy in 3d mode. Most people are content with any frame rate over 30 in 2d mode. You will have to double that figure if you want to play in 3d mode. If you want to play in 3d mode, you should make sure your game runs at least 60fps or higher in 2d mode to get a good experience from it.

Fortunately COD: Black Ops excels in this area. The COD games are known to have a high frame rate depending on your pc setup. It’s quite common to get over 100fps in 2d mode playing Call of Duty Black Ops. So when I turned on my 3D Vision glasses and started playing Black Ops, I didn’t notice any choppiness or lag. I must say that I was very impressed with how smooth Black Ops played while in 3D mode.

While there were some known issues with the game having some lag or choppiness during the first few days of release, I did not experience this. Or at least it was not noticeable on my system. There has since been a game patch that reportedly corrects that issue.

Other games I’ve played in 3D mode made me dizzy and didn’t take long before I started experiencing a head ache. I played Black Ops for 2 hours straight, without a break, using the 3D glasses and experienced no head ache. So that is good.

There are prettier (3D Ready) game titles out there. Not many, but some. One of the prettiest games I’ve played to date using the 3D vision glasses is Metro 2033. The graphical beauty in that game is almost life like when playing in 3D. With 3D mode enabled in Metro 2033 I would walk down a dark underground hallway and watch as 3d dust particles floated through the 3d beams of light that shone through the cracks in the ceiling. However with all this detail, comes a great sacrifice of a low or lower frame rate even in 2d mode. While Metro 2033 was beautiful in 3D, it was almost unplayable in 3d. Of course I had all the graphical options maxed out.

Yet with COD: Black Ops, while not as pretty or immersive in 3D as Metro, played completely smooth on my PC with all graphical options turned up to the max.

So all in all I am quite pleased with how Black Ops looks and plays using 3D Vision shutter glasses. We still have some time to go before 3D games mature. Until then we have to reserve our 3D game playing to games that have a high frame rate to avoid choppiness. Black Ops has that high frame rate in spades and also displays in 3D quite well.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Very cool. I don't consider 3D to be a make or break feature in both hardware or games but it is cool to see that it is (hopefully) starting to be handled properly. Nice review!