Choice to upgrade...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah I don't recommend Kingston. Yeah, can't really go wrong with the Super Talent and Optie. That will give you 2.5GHz cpu at 1:1 right off the bat. You shouldn't really have too much of a problem with that setup. You can always post in the forums here for advice in overclocking both :)

dborgill

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
Yeah I don't recommend Kingston. Yeah, can't really go wrong with the Super Talent and Optie. That will give you 2.5GHz cpu at 1:1 right off the bat. You shouldn't really have too much of a problem with that setup. You can always post in the forums here for advice in overclocking both :)

You guys have been EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. I will post my results when I receive them this weekend! SEE YOU THEN! :cool:

dborgill

Obliviot
Ok, I got my stuff and here are my stable results running 1:1

Any suggestions to get higher?

my.php

EDIT: It's nice though that on these settings I can run Everquest II pretty smooth at 1600x1200 extreme quality settings! Gotta keep pushing it though...

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's not even default speeds, hehe. What are your VDIMM settings at? Are you able to download SANDRA and run the memory bandwidth benchmark and send just post your results? Also, what are your memory timings?

dborgill

Obliviot
Ok, sorry I didn't give the full info on my last post. My supplier couldn't get the Opty so I had to go with the 3700+. I loosened up my mem timings and now I am running this stable. Here is my CPU and memory info:

CPU

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpu25xx.jpg

MEM

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2168/mem6mq.jpg

Any other questions?

EDIT - I don't have SANDRA but I have Everest and here are the memory benchmarks:

Memory Read - 6709 MB/S
Memory Write - 2458 MB/S
Memory Latency - 43.7 ns

Super Pi 1MB - 32 secs

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh, if you had a Venice 3200+ before, you shouldn't have upgraded anything personally, beacuse imo it can't really be considered an upgrade when you look at the overclocking possibilities.

At any rate, things are looking good so far. What is your VDIMM at? If it's not as high as 3.0, try that and then 1:1 at 250FSB.

dborgill

Obliviot
Hmmm.. my VDIMM is at the highest setting in the BIOS... +0.2 V? Doesn't that equal 2.7?

I am a little confused though because I tried using a memory divider (166mhz) and lowering the HTT to 3x but it didn't change my CPU speed settings at all.

By the way, I am doing this all in Windows via ClockGen because I can't get ANY good results overclocking direct from the BIOS.

EDIT: I cranked my vcore voltage up in the BIOS and I can get 2772 mhz and lowered super pi to 30 seconds. I don't know what else to do. Do you think it is the memory holding me back or is a 572 mhz overclock ok for my hardware?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Jesus, I'd be happy with 2.77GHz. Chances are that could be the max you will crank out of that chip, but chances are greater you could go even higher with your Venice. So, if that's a stable OC, then you are fine and dandy.

What are your new Sandra/EVEREST scores? If an OC is possible with ClockGen, then it would be possible with your BIOS, because it essentially does the same thing.

Personally, I'd try to hit 2.8GHz since you are so close. What divider are you using?

dborgill

Obliviot
Everest @ 2772 mhz (No divider man, it's running 1:1 !)

Memory Read: 6900 MB/s
Memory Write: 2535 MB/s
Memory Latency: 42.6

Hmmmm... I am pretty happy with this overclock. I have no idea if the Opty would go higher or the Venice. Although, I have more cache with the Opty or San Diego....

EDIT: Looks like I am about 27 C IDLE and 42 C full load running maximum heat on Prime95. Not too shabby for a pretty inexpensive heatsink/fan!!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
**** extra cache, that's all I can say. It certainly doesn't justify your $150 purchase. I'd try the Venice again and see if you have better luck overclocking. Those are rather low EVEREST scores for that speed.. I had nearer 31 latency and over 7,500MB/s read at those rates.

dborgill

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
**** extra cache, that's all I can say. It certainly doesn't justify your $150 purchase. I'd try the Venice again and see if you have better luck overclocking. Those are rather low EVEREST scores for that speed.. I had nearer 31 latency and over 7,500MB/s read at those rates.

LOL! Hey man, you are the expert. I will throw in the 3200+ and see what I can get with that new memory just in case.

About the $$$, I got the upgrades for "free".. I just do side jobs for my friend and he takes my old hardware for credit. I didn't pay a cent..

He said he could try to get me an Opty next week.. dunno what I should stick with. Or... try to get that G-Skill mem. :confused:

EDIT: I forgot to ask. Why if I am lowering my HTT and using a memory divider, it doesn't change my clock speeds at all?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh ok, free is no problem then : o)

If possible you could get the Optie, you may just want to get that and then sell the two CPU's you have. The Opti will no doubt overclock past 3.0GHz with good cooling, and then in the future you could try getting the G. Skill after you get the cash or do the jobs for your friend.

If you lower your HTT and keep the Divider the same, it should certainly lower your clock speed o_O

dborgill

Obliviot
Yeah, it's a nice little hookup.

I will try to swing the Optie, who knows... I'll keep ya posted.

Yeah, I go into the BIOS and I have tried HTT 4x and 3x and when I check my clock speeds they are exactly the same as if I hadn't done anything. Very stange...

Just noticed your gamertag -- I'll have to add you to the friends list. You ever play any multiplayer?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh, that HTT. I really have no bloody clue what that even does, so I'd leave it default, lol. I meant HTT as in FSB.

Yup, I play a little bit of online. What games do you play?

dborgill

Obliviot
LOL --- I thought that HTT was the multiplayer for the FSB. Like you could do a 166mhz memory divider and a 3x HTT divider.

I play Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 mostly.. but I am addicted to Everquest II right now

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The only things I deal with while overclocking usually are the FSB, Multiplier and Divider. I really never toyed with the HTT multi before, but I believe mine goes up to 5x.

I have only played PDZ online once and I suck at console FPS, so I quit that one. I don't have CoD2 either. I played DoA4 online the other day and had my ass handed to me. I'm not meant to play online ;)

dborgill

Obliviot
Oh ok. Yeah, I think it is my memory holding me from going any further. I have read a lot of 3700+ reviews and other Gigabyte board forums and everyone says that TCCD RAM (Especially A.DATA and G-Skill brands) works best in our boards. Most are reporting 280-320 FSB when using that RAM...

Anyway, yeah, since this stupid Everquest II addiction started, my 360 has kinda been collecting dust.. although I just went to a friends house at lunch and played Marble Blast Multiplayer. It rocked.

madmat

Soup Nazi
That HTT keeps the bus speed at 1000 or there abouts. Setting it to 5 with a FSB of 200 = 1000, at 4 with a FSB of 250 = 1000 and so on.

It's there to keep the HTT from becoming unstable and hosing your OC.