Charitable build for a Christmas Angel wish

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
**LIST UPDATE**

From a PM received tonight and the post by Mach over @ modders-inc.com, I am updating the list now

Processor -AMD Phenom II X4 processor
Motherboard - Asus M3N72-D
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracers/4GB
Video - Sapphire HD4870
Case and fans - DD Water Box (Thank you Richard!)
Heatsink - Thermaltake
keyboard and mouse - Thermaltake
Powersupply - Thermaltake
Hard Drive - Western Digital
Games - Civ4, SimCity4
LCD Monitor - This item is covered
Speakers - Mach sending the boom!

Needs:

Windows 7 Operating System

*blink*
This kicks so much ass guys! I cannot wait to get this put together and delivered to the boy!
All of you are what make this happen, and I hope you enjoy this journey as much as I am!!

-=TD

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
**LIST UPDATE**

Processor -AMD Phenom II X4 processor
Motherboard - Asus M3N72-D
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracers/4GB
Video - Sapphire HD4870
Case and fans - DD Water Box (Thank you Richard!)
Heatsink - Thermaltake
keyboard and mouse - Thermaltake
Powersupply - Thermaltake
Hard Drive - Western Digital
Games - Civ4, SimCity4
LCD Monitor - This item is covered
Speakers - Mach sending the boom!
Windows 7 Operating System - Modders-Inc.com

Needs:
Zero !!!!!!

I'm going to go shopping for a couple new games with any funds that I recieve, and this thing is sourced!
YAY!!!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
That is an awesome idea, *if* they have internet.... I hope to find out by this weekend if they have internet. Otherwise, I have to have everything installed, patched and backed up to a recoverable image of some sort. We'll see.

I was thinking the same thing you are thinking, but then I remembered, "This is a kid who did not have a computer." In my mind, that may also mean that they don't have broadband.

If they do have broadband, then I will setup a Steam account! :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't care what anyone says... this was a build brought together FAST!

Good to hear it's all set. Now to just await the shipments...

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
The Package from Western Digital already arrived! ;)
Let's hope everyone else's stuff gets here as reliably! My biggest concern is not someone not shipping.... it's someone shipping and the shipment getting delayed due to weather somewhere!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm hoping the same thing won't be an issue. I'll follow-up next week with Thermaltake to see where things stand.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Take some pics if you can TD! I'm not sure if this is an in person delivery but I'd love to see their expression if possible. When someone gave me a 16GB flash drive I almost peed a little so I can't image what this would feel like to them!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I am looking into that. One thing I want to respect is this person's privacy. Angel tree gifts are usually to persons in need. He/they might not want others to know that they were recipients of Angel Tree gifts.

I will definitely put pics up of the built rig. I am hopeful that I can put up pics of the delivery.
:)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When someone gave me a 16GB flash drive I almost peed a little so I can't image what this would feel like to them!

LOL!

I was about to ask for pics also, but that logic makes sense. Either way, we can imagine the expressions :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
So.... to those that have been following the Christmas angel computer build, parts are starting to come in! Very exciting time! I was surprised when a vendor sent something outside of my parts request list. They just wanted to participate and help take this computer to the next level.... OCZ sent a Vertex2 SSD hard drive.... THANK YOU! This machine is going to FLY!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Holy hell! How do I get my name on that tree? That's awesome to see companies pitch in like that!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
OCZ kicks serious ass... that is too awesome. I don't even have a freaking SSD in MY PC!

As a side note, Thermaltake told me that the stuff has been sent out, so you should be receiving that soon also. I can't wait to see this thing built :D

BigJohn

Obliviot
wowzers, that kid is gonna crap his drawers seeing this rig, lol make it somehow that its non sellable though, parents might be so broke and sell the computer on him

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
@BigJohn - I would sincerely hope that would not happen... :(((

Ok everyone that is shipping stuff for the Christmas angel computer build. I have to deliver it to the church by this next Wednesday. Please make sure that all donations are sent as soon as possible to insure they dont get held up by weather!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
So the boxes descended upon my house on Friday, and I've spent Friday night Saturday, and most of today wrapping this up to the best of my ability.

xmas_angel.JPG

Here comes Santa Clause....Here comes Santa Clause.... ;)

xmas_angel2.JPG

By the end of Friday night, most of the equipment was in and starting to take shape!

xmas_angel3.JPG

Saturday morning, I started OS load and patching. Then went out and bought some age appropriate games that do not require internet to run (Still don't know if the family has broadband, was told... "Likely not.")

Final pics:
xmas_angel4.JPG

xmas_angel5.JPG

I managed to get the entire system on a backup image to DVD discs, and a bootable recovery disk. That is what is in the Gigabyte hard cover disk holster. I got that *years* ago, and it filled a need on this build!

xmas_angel_Crucial3.JPG

xmas_angel_Tt1.JPG

Big time thanks to Crucial, Thermaltake, Western Digital, and OCZ as corporate assistance providers... and to my many friends that sent product/money to provide for this. it was very much appreciated!

-=TD

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The build is awesome in general but knowing the reason behind it makes it that much better. Kudos to those who supported it!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Just an update guys, The church I donated this through has been in contact with the family. I was told the mother was in tears and did not know what to say. I have told the church that the family can contact me of they want, if they wish to remain anonymous, I completely understand that too.

But, the blessing of a child has been confirmed. Thank you ALL for your wonderful words of encouragement and support. This was an awesome experience!
:D