Charitable build for a Christmas Angel wish

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I have picked up an angel off of an "Adopt an angel" tree. I think it was placed in front of me for a reason. The child is wanting a computer.

Having done charitable builds before, it is a wonderful feeling to give one away! I have a lot of the parts in my personal stash, but I have gaps. I am looking for sponsors to help pull this off. Any friends or vendors that are feeling the Christmas spirit, please message me.

Thanks in advance!

-=TD

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I'm working on my daughter's computer tonight. While it is running and doing what it needs to do, I'm pulling together what I have and will post up a list of needs. Between here and Facebook... I am just humbled at the outpouring of support.

It is a thing that refills the soul.... something much needed right now! ;)

I'll have a list up within 24 hours.
Thanks to all, this rig is going to be one the kid never forgets.

-=Craig

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ok, so here is what I have currently:
Processor - AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition
Motherboard - Asus M3N72-D
RAM - got it covered
Video - Sapphire HD4870
Case - NZXT Zero 2 or a DD Water Box

Needs:

good AM2+ Air cooled heatsink
A good sized hard drive
Windows 7 Operating System
LCD Monitor
keyboard and mouse
speakers
Good fans
Good quality Power Supply

*wishes*
++AMD Phenom II X4 processor to upgrade the system - FILLED! :D

++Kids games (Going to talk to the church to find out if I can get any more info on the kid. He wanted animal books and a computer), so I am thinking SPORE (animal creation and evolution game), maybe some of the Lego games.

++If anyone sees something in my list, and they have something better that they want to donate, message me and we will discuss. I want to give a present like no other... filled with love and configured so that the kid can upgrade it as needed easily. I don't want to make anything that is so overwhelming that the family is afraid to touch it!

I also do not know if the family has broadband or access to the internet, so I need games and entertainment that can be loaded and played on the machine without the need for Internet connectivity, make sense?

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
So memory? Yes? No? Not sure if 2GB would be enough.

I have the memory already covered right now. I'm hoping Crucial will ship me some Tracers to put in it. Kids are always mezmorized by the blinking lights!
;)

UPDATE just in - I have a donor for the upgrade of the processor!!!!! :eek:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
It's not just kids, dude. I'm surprised I make it to work without getting distracted by something shiny.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
WOW it's awesome to see how generous companies are when it comes to donating for a charity...that's really awesome. I personally don't have anything worth giving; it's all REALLY old parts..and I don't have much money right now. I don't know if it would be too late or not but I'm putting together a team for NewEgg's Black Ops Wanfest tournament in January, and they have a huge list of prizes. If I get anything out of it, what I don't use I would be happy to send your way, TD, if it's not too late.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
TheCrimsonStar -

Thank you for your support. And the build will likely be done in a few weeks (Christmas delivery) , but it means the world to me of your willingness and desire to help! I really appreciate your offer. If you do win something, and it is too late for this build, keep it in mind for someone else if you dont use it. "Pay it forward" big man, pay it forward.

:)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thermaltake is willing to donate a CPU cooler, PSU, keyboard and mouse. Let me know if any of those parts have already be donated so I can tell it what to send you.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Had my call. Let's go ahead and take Tt up on their power supply as well. So:

CPU Cooler, Keyboard, mouse, and PSU.
:D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ok, updating the list:

Processor -AMD Phenom II X4 processor
Motherboard - Asus M3N72-D
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracers/4GB
Video - Sapphire HD4870
Case and fans - DD Water Box (Thank you Richard!)
Heatsink - Thermaltake
keyboard and mouse - Thermaltake
Powersupply - Thermaltake
Hard Drive - Western Digital
Games

Needs:

Windows 7 Operating System
LCD Monitor
Speakers

Awesome work everyone! The list keeps getting shorter!!!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Wow! They are going to be one happy camper! That rig is more powerful than mine! Well done!