Cebit 2006 Preview

liqnit

E.M.I.
Some great motherboards with AM2 socket realy makes me want to buy one
but it will take 3 monthes....
read here

Flipi

Obliviot
We should wait for the platform to mature before buying one, we have all the past examples before our eyes. I gues socket 939 cpu's will slowly vanish, just like socket A cpu's...

liqnit

E.M.I.
939 is a very good platform but the intruduction of NF5 maybe will show some very needed features like WORKING hardware FW ie ActiveArmor
so it may be faster gone then Socket A

PUTALE

Obliviot
this year seems to be quite an exciting year from both amd and intel. Though more on intel as it has so many good cpu coming out to the market. It's also interesting to see the amd64's am2 and how it can top intel's great performance in their new chips.

liqnit

E.M.I.
Intel have a realy great CPU coming but the pricing is the big question
will they make it so expensive it would be impossibl to get or will they let out budget CPU with great OC options...

PUTALE

Obliviot
well, it's unlikely as intel really needs to compete with amd. I think like intel has always done, they will have so much cpu with diff specs to saturate the whole segments.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well I can honestly say, that for the first time in *years*, I am actually excited to see Intels new products released. The Conroe benchmarks have had be quite impressed so far.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
the leaked benchmarks concern me. The chip is not final, and the machine that was tested on was not allowed to be investigated. The whole "we'll test this for you, here's your numbers... next in line please" just smacks of a bad scenario.

Time will tell though what AMD's plans have instore for us, as well as what Intel will be able to do.

Either way, we all win!

PUTALE

Obliviot
well, yeah until we see the actual product, it's still hard to tell the real world performance but based on the specs and everything, it does seem that intel has good chip.

liqnit

E.M.I.
i hope they will keep the beta runing as long as possible it will delay the first SP because more things will be fixed.
and they have so many version to test....

Lothar

Obliviot
I don't know that it will necessarily affect many here, but the new chips are going to start implementing hardware level Digital Rights Management (DRM). Personally this concerns me because I use my current computer as a DVR/PVR/HTPC (call it what you want, it's all the same) as well as normal gaming, etc. I think it's part of Intels Viiv. It's not something they want you to know, but there you go.

Other than that, I'm very excited about these new systems coming out. My plan was to upgrade the summer, but I may have to hold off a little longer and do it this fall when more options are available.

(cf)Eclipse

Micron Lover
Flipi said:
We should wait for the platform to mature before buying one, we have all the past examples before our eyes. I gues socket 939 cpu's will slowly vanish, just like socket A cpu's...
on the other wide of the coin, someone's gotta do the work of uncovering all the quirks in a new platform.. sadly, that role has slowly turned to the enthusiast in recent years :rolleyes:

liqnit

E.M.I.
(cf)Eclipse said:
on the other wide of the coin, someone's gotta do the work of uncovering all the quirks in a new platform.. sadly, that role has slowly turned to the enthusiast in recent years :rolleyes:
if they are looking they cand send a board & cpu i will test gladly;)