Building my 2nd Computer Soon...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am working with the Business install now but will install the Ultimate version tonight. So far, I dont see myself abandoning XP at the moment. I love XP Pro so much so Vista is going to have to impress me quite a bit. We are microsoft partners at my day job so thats where I got my copy. I am working with it to evaluate it because we will eventually go with it down the road for all of our client PCs.

That's so cool. I'm excited for it, I think it has the potential to be really great if Microsoft plays their cards right. Win XP Pro is a great OS though too. I just used Vista as an excuse to build a new computer :cool:

madmat

Soup Nazi
Ok, for a quick comparison of performance the 6800XT is about on part with a 6600GT while the 7600GT is about the same as a 6800 Ultra. Yes it has a narrower pipeline but the ram is faster and the core is a better design so it makes up for the lower ram bit width. if you look around you can find the 7600GT for the same money as that XT and it's just as capable (if not more so) of running Vista. Not to harp on ya but I missed this yesterday (I was asleep, I work nights) and I just want to see you get the best performance for your buck.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If he wants to take the time to return it to Newegg, then so be it. I would check their return policy and if they will take it back, and you can eat a few days of not having a GPU, go for it.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Considering the fact that this card is going to be upgraded pretty soon to a DX10 card, shouldn't the OP go for the least expensive option that will still provide the requisite graphics performance for the existing software?

(Then, once the DX10 cards are out in force, the OP can go for a more ambitious upgrade.)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Considering the fact that this card is going to be upgraded pretty soon to a DX10 card, shouldn't the OP go for the least expensive option that will still provide the requisite graphics performance for the existing software?

(Then, once the DX10 cards are out in force, the OP can go for a more ambitious upgrade.)

madmat said:
if you look around you can find the 7600GT for the same money as that XT

There's no reason for his gaming performance to suffer for a no money difference now is there?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062 for $3 less than that 6800XT.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Bah! It's ordered already. If he doesnt like it, send it back and if he does, let it be.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I wonder if those XT's are unlockable via Rivatuner. If so he could have at the very least an easy upgrade to a 6800GT just by a bit of tweaking...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It is possible but the card is new enough that the unlockable pipes were laser etched. If they can be unlocked, thats certainly a good thing.

Okay I've started to mess around with bits and pieces of putting it together and I have run into a few mishaps I suppose.

For right now, on my Seagate hard drive there's a jumper block that is set to limit operation to 1.5Gb/s and I looked on Seagate's website and it says that the jumper block is for factory use only.

Which is true because I tried to take the jumper off so that it would function at 3Gb/s but no can do.

My question is, even though it's labeled as a 3.0Gb/s HDD with my mobo being a 3.0Gb/s interface, why would the factory limit operation like that?

(Also Rob - with the NZXT Apollo case - I don't HAVE to use screws to install my hard drive into the case right? The little pseudo screws already in the drive mounting brackets snap okay into the HDD?)