Building my 2nd Computer Soon...

Hey Everyone! I'm new to this forum but I love this site so far - has some really great content. Anyways, I'm building a new computer soon and I want it to be Windows Vista Premium Ready. I've got my parts picked out and since it is only my second build I'd love and appreciate some feedback on if these particular parts will work together properly and be compatible. Here's my rig:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2
Mobo: ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX
RAM: *2GB CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical: Sony DVD/CD Burner
GPU: XFX nVidia GeForce 6800XT 256MB 256-Bit GDDR3 PCI-e x16
Case: NZXT Apollo Orange ATX Mid Tower
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 610 Watt

Thanks so much for any input! :)

Last edited:

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
With the exception of the GPU, it looks like you've got an overall good performer there. It ought to run games fine for a couple years, and you still have a platform for minor upgrades if you decide that's necessary at any point in the future.

The GPU you've selected, however, is not the most up-to-date, and appears to be the weak point in your system. This may be a shrewd move, though -- that card will be enough to get you by until DirectX 10 cards are more widely available and less expensive. Going with the 6800 card gives you time to see what the GPU market is going to do in the next few months, while giving you a quite serviceable rig for the time being.

Hey Thanks for the feedback. I agree, I wanted a GPU that was 256MB so I'd have the Video RAM to support some games (not too much of a gamer) but I really wanted it to fully support Windows Vista's Aero - and fast. But I know that DX10 is coming and new GPU's will adapt and drop so it should be all good.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not familiar with that card at all. You may want to Google for some reviews and see how it compares to the 7*** series. It could be that for $20 more, you may get a card twice as good. 256MB ram is not everything, especially for a card that costs $130... it may not even make a difference.

As for the ram, get two sticks... not just one. If you have a single stick of ram, you will be running in single channel mode which is not going to help you very much. Adding a second one will add a lot more performance.

The other stuff is great. Welcome to the forums by the way.

Hey Rob. Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately I already ordered my GPU, PSU, and Case so I'll have to deal with it for now. I didn't really know much about graphics cards except that I wanted one that would support Vista Aero and play some basic games and have good video RAM - I'm not too much of a gamer.

And I'm definitely going to use 2GB of RAM in the system, I just might have to wait and get the second stick later because I don't have the funds right now.

Do you think my video card is decent at least?? I guess if newegg will let me I'll exchange it for a different one....

*Update: what about this card?? eVGA 7600GT 256MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062

Like when I get my GPU that I already ordered, can I send it back to Newegg right away and get this one?

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
That video card will suffice for the time being. As far as it working with Vista to allow you to do what you want it to do, I might but I really dont know.

The 6800 XT fits somewhere between the 6600 GT and the 6800 vanilla (non-GT or Ultra.) For the money, you could have went a couple of differant ways and most of them would have been better than the XT. With that said, it's not a bad card and as long as your not looking to play Oblivion on a 24" LCD, you should be fine.

All in all, your system appears to be a solid build and should do you well for quite some time. When you get everything in the case, take some pics. We would love to see how you progress.

Good luck and congratulations.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Get the NVIDIA 7600GT.

It's a faster card and cheaper. I am personally partial to eVGA as well.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I suppose that comes down to what you mean by exchange. If you have already got it on the way, I am sure they will let you send it back. The 7600GT is all around a better card. As much as I like ATI, I hate their drivers.

Cool. I'll see what I can do, thanks!

And I'll def. post pictures and a review of how I do once I build my computer here. I plan on building it in the first week of January.

I've looked at Newegg and it looks like I can RMA my graphics card within 30 days for a refund (charged 15% restocking fee), and then I'll just order the eVGA 7600GT card that we've talked about.

Sucks I didn't consult you guys earlier... :( I think I rushed a little too much on the graphics card - didn't do my homework.

I have a quick question too:

What's the difference between OpenGL 1.5 and OpenGL 2.0??

What's the difference between 128-Bit and 256-Bit cards??

Just curious. The XFX 6800XT has OpenGL 1.5 but 256 Bits and the eVGA 7600GT has 128 Bits but OpenGL 2.0

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
While the 256-bit card will offer more memory bandwidth than the 128-bit, the 7600 has 4 more pixel pipes and I would choose it over the XT. However, the 6800 isnt a bad card at all so its really up to you. You can always go SLI with whatever you get if you so desire down the road.

Actually, I'm super indecisive, and due to the hassles of sending and receiving to and from newegg... plus the fact I'm not going to play many games, plus the fact that the 6800 card I am getting is a decent and fast and high RAM card, I'm just gonna stick with it and build my comp and see what happens.

I think my main focus is a good stable 256MB graphics card that will support Windows Vista and the 6800 def. will fully support Vista's Aero so, I'm going to bed now, now I can sleep. :)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
As long as you are happy with your choices, everyone else's opinions don't really matter. Good luck and keep up posted on your progress.

Got the parts ordered and they're all coming soon from Newegg. Upgraded my CPU at the last minute from 4200+ 2.2GHz to 4600+ 2.4GHz - everything (all 8 parts) ended up being just under $1000.00 including shipping! :)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
That is certainly a respectable computer. Just to let you know, I installed Vista last night and with my x1650 Pro, it runs quite well so you shouldn't have any problems with your 6800XT.

Good luck in the build. Take your time and report back with results. :D

Oh cool. Is it the RTM build or is it RC2? I won my copy from www.powertogether.com just before they ran out of copies. I get Windows Vista Business in a few weeks if all goes well - then I'll probably Anytime upgrade it to Ultimate Edition at some point.