Broke the 5GHz barrier...

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Inspired by the holidays I decided to start OC'ing. With my new CPU fan and new case I was able to break the 5GHz barrier!
http://valid.canardpc.com/2648215
captureviw.jpg

I'm impressed...for someone who has only been OC'ing for a few weeks...and it's stable so far! Haven't seen temps beyond 60C yet!

Last edited:

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Nice yeah that was my aim originally, oh well. Last BIOS update i got 4.7 Ghz booting but pretty much no change in stable speed on my 2500k. Air Cooling is a bit limiting as with water, hell phase change i could run the voltage this chip wants for 5. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't just buy a "golden" chip off a tester.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You have that running stable? That's incredible man, nice work!

What cooler do you have in there, out of curiosity?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
It would have to be beefy. 5Ghz would take quite a bit of juice, regardless of the chip.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Ooops, I wrote "CPU" as "PU" when editing the code. My fault.

The crazy thing is that I have yet to see temps above 57C under full load. With the new CPU cooler (I bought a 120mm fan off of Amazon for ~$8, free 2 day shipping so I mounted it on the CPU heatsink) I'm idling at 25C, sometimes as low as 23C!

I'm using an ASRock Z68 Exterme3 Gen3 mobo. I've been very satisfied with it. Love the UEFI bios interface.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The fact that it's stable is impressive. I've gotten near 5GHz on chips like that one, but never "stable". I can't even get close to 5GHz on most of today's chips.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
The temps aren't even close to breaking 60C. I'd feel more comfortable too with water, but I have yet to crash the system at 5GHz

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
The temps aren't even close to breaking 60C. I'd feel more comfortable too with water, but I have yet to crash the system at 5GHz

It hasn't crashed or you have put it through 24 hour or more stressing and it hasn't crashed?

I can easily run 4.6 Ghz for 12 or more hours without causing a crash or I could run a light stress test and crash it in seconds. I only put my 4.5 through 12 hours of Super Pi i think it was, but it was folding for the longest time sometimes would be folding for days, decent way of testing, not quite as stressful but pretty far up there.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's the fun of overclocking... what seems stable might not really be. Essentially, if you are overclocking at -all-, it makes sense that it can handle a true stress, else the overclock is for nothing other than e-peen growth. I used to have a high OC but it failed under a video encode, so I just went back to stock lol. No sense running it at extra power when there's no actual gain.