Breaking Down & Getting A Phone...But Not By Choice!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Yep, the day has come that I finally have to dive into the murky waters of the mobile market. My new job will require me to have a phone and of course, being the tech head that I am, the exhaustive search has begun but I think it has reached its conclusion fairly quickly with the discovery of this...

Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 4G

Fairly powerful, more features than a mobile hold out like me will ever need or even want and $0 down with a free WiFi digital camera.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It never ceases to impress me what sorts of scam artists these mobile companies are - but all is kosher as far as the government is concerned. Carriers basically force you into a three year plan given if you don't oblige to one, you're out $400+. And then they continue to charge that on phones that have been out for a while. Digusts me to no end.

That aside, that phone looks good overall. I am not sure it will be upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich, but I doubt that matters to you. Since you only need a phone for simple e-mail and things like that, any smartphone is going to fit the bill.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
That's pretty much what I figured but I had read (somewhere) that the Sammich upgrade was coming next year although you have to do it from a computer using Samsung's software.

My requirements for the phone are pretty minimal. Email, WiFi and maybe YouTube to keep my son from having a melt down in a restaurant

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Your post just made me clue in that there are other providers out there such as Virgin Mobile here in Canada or Koodoo...or whatever the hell it is. Time to check those sites.

Going to have a hard time beating the free WiFi camera and the fact that I'm not paying for it. Ha!

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Need I mention that their full unlimited plan is $55/month? :p

Ok I'm looking at VM Canada's site and I'm jealous. They have WAY better phones than the US version.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'll be working from home so the phone will be connected via WiFi during that time so unless I'm traveling I can't see me going over anything, even my 200 minutes since most of what we do is likely to handled through email.

VM does have a pretty good selection though.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Were on Boost Mobile, they are awesome. We have Prevails on Gingerbread and pay $50 a month right now for UNLIMITED everything. Now here is the catch, every 6 payments it drops $5 down to a minimum of $35 a month :D

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
That's pretty good actually. Too bad Boost doesn't have good signal where I live...and they use the SAME TOWERS that VM uses. -_-

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Hmmm weird, I am on a Sprint PRL and my fiance is on a Boost PRL and I seem to have better signal (sometimes I guess, not too sure really since sprint coverage in the area is fairly crap anyways) :S dunno will have to try switching hers and checking for a change.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
That was the clincher...plus the Galaxy Nexus is $200 up front on a 2 year contract. The Nexus S was zip, zilch, zero on a 2 year.

Google employees were given ICS to test with the Nexus S anyway so that should be coming in 2012. Win!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, that's true... forgot about the downpayment (doesn't exist in the US for the same lock-in, nice huh?).