Break-in period for new processors?

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
Thinking about getting a new i7-4770k processor and naturally doing some overclocking. I was thinking... what is the consensus about overclocking a new processor right away? Is it best to let it run at stock for a week or so before overclocking or is that not an issue with newer processors? I am thinking about getting a H80i or H100i for cooling. Thanks.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Once you do your initial stability tests with your system running at stock frequencies, you can ramp things up and overclock right away. There's no break-in/burn-in time required.

I say that you should do your initial stability tests first because if your system isn't stable at stock frequencies, there's a very good chance it won't be anywhere close when you start changing settings.

Years ago, a very popular thermal interface material (TIM) called Arctic Silver used to have a burn-in time of a few days, but if you have a strong enough cooler (which the H80i/H100i certainly are)), it's no longer an issue as the capability of the cooler itself will carry you past any of that.

I'm not even sure any of the TIMs that I use now even have a burn in time, and if they do, it's not suggested anywhere in the documentation.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I say that you should do your initial stability tests first because if your system isn't stable at stock frequencies, there's a very good chance it won't be anywhere close when you start changing settings.

That's some fantastic advice. I once had a build that -wasn't- stable at stock speeds (due to a hardware failure), so I was glad I tested that first before I began overclocking.