Borderlands 2 Golden Key Details Emerge

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Earlier this week, Gearbox's ChrisF released information about the Golden Key and what wonderful treasures it could possibly unlock. When this Golden Box (shown below) located in Sanctuary is opened, you will always be given a very rare item(s) that is scaled to your character's level at the time you crack the chest open.

borderlands_golden_chest_091412.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Oooh, gonna have to wait until the cap. The only problem with that is when the next DLC comes out, will they raise the cap making it a pointless carrot on a stick because the normal weapons now available at a higher level will eclipse it?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The unique items are purple drops from what I read. But I doubt this really matters, since I'm sure the keys will be available as micro-transactions at some point. Personally, I'll probably use it around level 30/40, e.g. the second play-through (if the same system is still in place). By 50, it doesn't matter since you can just keep killing and increase your Badass meter, it's getting to 50 that takes the time and where a powerful weapon helps. Plus the fact, you can trade the weapon after you've used it, to help level another toon.