Blu Ray Burner/Remote Advice Needed

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
So I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a HTPC, but I was thinking that when we get our big ass wall mounted TV, DVD just won't cut it so why not throw a Blu Ray burner in it instead.

I know nothing about these drives and I'm not a video-phile so there's a good chance that I won't even notice the difference between some of them unless it's something drastic like comparing BR to DVD.

So my question to all of you is what should I be looking for? I need to go low-end on this so entry level is just peachy since I'll need to pick up a remote.

That's the second thing I'll need help with since until now I haven't had the need for one. Again, low end is fine so have at it!

Here's the front runners so far:

Drive:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106369

Remote:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101007

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unless you have a specific reason to pick up a burner, I'd save $20 or so and just opt for a standard drive. BD-ROM media is still expensive for what it offers; it'd cost something like $200 for 2TB of BD-ROM media whereas a 2TB HDD costs almost half.

Not familiar with remotes too much, but for the price of that Rosewill, it looks awesome (as in, I'd opt for it).

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Now that you mention it, a standard reader does sound like a better idea. My wallet likes the idea too.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you planning to hook this PC straight up to the TV? If not, you'll want to consider a media player as well, unless the TV is able to stream from a network.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Excellent. I hope a build log is in the works :D

Have you decided on a chassis / mobo yet? IGP vs. discrete GPU?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This is going to be done on the cheap, so I'll probably use the GD06 and go with the IGP since they are beefier than ever. 2GB of memory and a 160GB drive that I have floating around should do the trick.

I'll have to pick up a wireless card too, now that I think about it.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, it's a good point about the burner.... even if you want to future proof yourself.... who is to say the burner you buy today will support the type of blu-ray discs they will have in a year or two or three from now?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I'm planning on getting a BluRay burner, I need to get some stuff off my drive to store better. Costs are pretty decent, ~$60 for the burner and another $30 for media. Not bad for 1.25TB of media. (25 Pack 25GB Disks $15 so 50x25=1250) Will be great for all of the games sitting on my harddrive(s) too, can get those pesky installers off without splitting.