Bad McAfee Update Affects Windows XP

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you're a McAfee user and are running Windows XP, make sure you update to the latest version of the DAT file (5959) if you want to avoid any issues, some of which could be severe. Yesterday, or late Monday night, McAfee released its 5958 DAT file which effectively borked some XP installations, leaving the user with nothing more than a major headache.

mcafee_is2010_042210.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

thehailo

Obliviot
Good news for me. I already have a consulting gig on Monday to fix some workstations that ran into this issue.

As for AV, I can't recommend not running one this day and age. I've tried...literally a dozen or two, but these days I run Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It's light-weight, integrates well with Windows, and is free. It's up there performance/feature/accuracy wise with Symantec/McAfee, so I just do with the one that puts the least hurt on my wallet.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
This to me is funny as hell because so many say its so good, Norton & McAffe both suck. I love my Avira Antivir free personal edition, never had any problems with it.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, that's a major black eye for McAffee... I used to use them over Norton given Norton conflicted with everything, and that their software was so pervasive that it modified or affected just about every aspect of the system making it feel like a virus.

That said I've had issues with every AV program I've tried. McAffe, Norton, AVG, Avast, Bit-Defender... were at least two others I don't recall. MSE is probably the only real exception.

the best anti virus, no anti virus! lol! :D

I gotta disagree! I've quickly become a huge fan of Microsoft Security Essentials. It never bogs my computer down, never causes issues with the wide variety of programs that frequently get tested or used regularly on my computer, and it consumes few resources to leave running. I've yet to find a game or program that it conflicts with or recommends to shut it off before use. Given I use my computer for financial tasks I really don't think it is worth the risk. :)

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
EPIC FAIL. McAfee has already been proven to come pre-loaded with a virus or two, just to make you think you "have a virus" when it is installed. That makes everyone think "oh what an amazing program. I didn't even know I had a virus." I laugh so hard at this...McAfee sucks completely, Norton clogs up your registry, and honestly I use AVG Free edition and have no problems at all.
________
religion forum

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I also strongly suggest Microsoft Security Essentials. To me, it makes perfect sense to run an anti-virus in Windows that was created by the company that developed Windows. I run it on all my machines including my laptop. I find it as un-invasive as Kougar and it does a GREAT job.

As for running no anti-virus, there are legitimate arguments for both sides. If you do any financial work on your PC, you are a fool NOT to run anti-virus. If all you do is game and homework on your PC, as long as you keep a separate backup of all your important files then you can afford the occasional virus, trojan or key-logger.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well, that's a major black eye for McAffee... I used to use them over Norton given Norton conflicted with everything, and that their software was so pervasive that it modified or affected just about every aspect of the system making it feel like a virus.

That said I've had issues with every AV program I've tried. McAffe, Norton, AVG, Avast, Bit-Defender... were at least two others I don't recall. MSE is probably the only real exception.

I gotta disagree! I've quickly become a huge fan of Microsoft Security Essentials. It never bogs my computer down, never causes issues with the wide variety of programs that frequently get tested or used regularly on my computer, and it consumes few resources to leave running. I've yet to find a game or program that it conflicts with or recommends to shut it off before use. Given I use my computer for financial tasks I really don't think it is worth the risk. :)

hmm........i'll look into it! :D