AsylumLAN 30

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Greg, Matt H and I are at the AsylumLAN in Evansville, IN and will be keeping this thread updated throughout. It began at around 6PM, though gaming didn't really begin until a few hours later. Things are going strong right now as I write this (11PM), but more people should be arriving tomorrow.

We've set up our overclocking PC which will be used for a contest as well, and that will be underway shortly.

Here are a few pictures we've taken so far.

Attachments

• al30_2.JPG
    al30_2.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 572
  • al30_3.JPG
    al30_3.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 595
  • al30_4.JPG
    al30_4.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 590
  • al30_1.JPG
    al30_1.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 596

madmat

Soup Nazi
I keep getting my posterior handed to me. Still I could be working this weekend so I'm not going to complain. FYI Rob is the son of teh debil, he refuses to sleep.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Looks like fun, although I would've been screwed. I can't game well on a chair without armrests. :p

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
While this was only our third AsylumLAN, it was cool to see and talk with people who have been to them all. The games were great and the contests were well thought out. There were a few frustrations but thats to be expected from time to time. All in all, it was a great weekend in beautiful southern Indiana and a good time had by all.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I surely enjoyed the hell out of it! Sadly it's all over and nothing more than a fond (and beloved) memory. Greg needs to see about entering a Indy driving school (brother, you rock the family van! You should drive racecars!), Rob needs to game more... he's wicked good! Chris is one of the funniest guys I've ever met and snores like a Sthil at full tilt (for the uninformed, it's a brand of chainsaw... I'm a Husqvarna myself) and Cory... totally cool man, just chilly as an ice cube in January.

The LAN was one of the best organized events I've ever had the pleasure to attend, the diversity of people and rigs was amazing! Everything from P3's with older AGP cards to the latest and greatest with all forms of cooling from air to water to phase change! There were kids, teens, 20 somethings, 30 somethings, 40 somethings (w00t!) and above. It was simply the proverbial geekly melting pot and it was awesome beyond words.

To those I met, I'm a better person for the encounter. To those I didn't meet but encountered, how's yer mom an' them? And to the guy who's day I saved... Dude, I hope it's still running. Lastly, to the organizers of the LAN, my hat is off to you folks! You took what was dished out with style and grace and made this one of the best events in the country! I'm forever in your debt for allowing me the pleasure of attending.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Photo 1: Chris and Matt
Photo 2: Derek (Grymskull)
Photo 3: notadouche being a douche because he lost his name tag
Photo 4: Winner of an ASUS 8600GT
Photo 5: Xander
Photo 6: Cool view of the PCs
Photo 7: Cory (THUMPer), Matt and Rob
Photo 8: AL crew with cake

Attachments

• asylumlan_30_03.jpg
    asylumlan_30_03.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 558
  • asylumlan_30_09.jpg
    asylumlan_30_09.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 583
  • asylumlan_30_18.jpg
    asylumlan_30_18.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 551
  • asylumlan_30_21.jpg
    asylumlan_30_21.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 604
  • asylumlan_30_23.jpg
    asylumlan_30_23.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 561
  • asylumlan_30_27.jpg
    asylumlan_30_27.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 621
  • asylumlan_30_31.jpg
    asylumlan_30_31.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 625
  • asylumlan_30_41.jpg
    asylumlan_30_41.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 564

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Photo 1: THUMPer's PC and NES mod
Photo 2: Techgage OC contest PC
Photo 3: ^ Ditto
Photo 4: Posters
Photo 5: Matt plays games with his Bawls
Photo 6: Yet another cool view
Photo 7: AL servers
Photo 8: Rob attempting to kick Matt's ass in CoD2

Attachments

• asylumlan_30_50.jpg
    asylumlan_30_50.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 550
  • asylumlan_30_94.jpg
    asylumlan_30_94.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 583
  • asylumlan_30_89.jpg
    asylumlan_30_89.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 558
  • asylumlan_30_86.jpg
    asylumlan_30_86.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 566
  • asylumlan_30_78.jpg
    asylumlan_30_78.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 529
  • asylumlan_30_67.jpg
    asylumlan_30_67.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 586
  • asylumlan_30_54.jpg
    asylumlan_30_54.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 555
  • asylumlan_30_52.jpg
    asylumlan_30_52.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 553

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
i want to see some pictures from Hooters!

Photo 1: Blurry pic of Greg, Cory and Chris
Photo 2: Double-D burger is huge
Photo 3: Cory loves him some beans
Photo 4: Chris and Rob smothering Hooters girl

Attachments

• hooters_1.jpg
    hooters_1.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • hooters_2.jpg
    hooters_2.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 553
  • hooters_3.jpg
    hooters_3.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 899
  • hooters_4.jpg
    hooters_4.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 563

madmat

Soup Nazi
Good times, good times.

100_1991.jpg

Rob celebrating being at Greg's by snorting a line of thermal paste. Happily it wouldn't flow up the straw.

100_1992.jpg

Rob's PC for the LAN in a loaner case. Little did we know that it would soon become the focus of much swearing.

100_1993.jpg

The man has a built in fur coat. Proof that evolution is a reality since he's from the great white north (hoser eh?).

100_1992.jpg

This is a very nice mobo as long as you're not using a certain CPU cooler that has A) Intel style push pins and B) about 3/8" between said push pins and the bottom of the heatsink.

100_1995.jpg

As you can see, during our time of trial, Chris was a fount of moral support.

100_1996.jpg

The OC rig was going through tough times as well... can anyone say 80C at idle? Arg!

100_1997.jpg

For some reason the big CoolIT (FreeZone) wasn't powering up the pelt's. Odd.

100_1999.jpg

Rob, mere moments before we became immersed in the new Indiana Jones movie: Indiana Jones and the Heatsink of Doom.

100_2000.jpg

At least the pup kept his calm.

100_2001.jpg

I didn't get any photos of the HS/F mayhem since I was directly involved but the end result was that we had to talk Rob down from jumping to his certain death (Ok, I'm exaggerating, we were on the second floor... so it's more like middling discomfort).

madmat

Soup Nazi
Continued:

100_2003.jpg

We made it at last! Boy, I was sorta expecting a bigger turnout. D'Oh! It was still in the setup stages.

100_2006.jpg

Rob, in contemplation of his navel, he's a deep dude!

100_2007.jpg

A blurry shot of Rob and Greg setting up. I tried to get a better one and...

100_2008.jpg

Taaa-daaa Chris popped into frame. Hey brother.

100_2009.jpg

So I got a shot of all three of 'em. I was long since done so I had a bit of free time.

100_2010.jpg

Since y'all have seen what was at the LAN I'm going to show the quieter moments. This was breakfast at Denny's next to our motel... yes, Rob finally did allow us to sleep.

100_2011.jpg

Rob looking all innocent after discharging his flash and blinding me...

100_2012.jpg

Greg knew it was all an act.

100_2016.jpg

Greg and Chris in the family truckster. This shot was from a few hundred feet away actually, I was testing the zoom on my camera. I'm actually kind of impressed.

100_2017.jpg

I might like playing with my Bawls but Chris likes keeping his in line.

100_2018.jpg

It's the maple syrup eh?

100_2020.jpg

At least we got a cooler mounted up in Rob's rig. Pretty snazzy looking after it was all done.

100_2021.jpg

Greg's rig is a pretty nice looker too.

Well, that's about all the relevant images I have to share. Needless to say, it was truly the most fun I've had with my clothes on.

Last edited:

Richard Searle

Techgage Staff
Oh what a trip, I must say I am glad I could meet the people there. I really must say I miss the bean bag chair watching Rob build that thing. Man I love Dennys but I should live at Hooters. It is all about the canadian maple syrup. I would like to thank Techgage for letting me tag along with them, what an amazing trip.

P.S - Anyone get a chance to watch football game highlights Monday morning?

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Hey, I've been there! But not this time, unfortunately. Ah, it's just as well - taking a decent picture of me is challenging.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Why watch the highlights Monday morning when I was witnessing the shit that was the last <4 minutes of the game. If you are referring to any other game, and I assume that you aren't, Adrian Peterson is a farking stud. He might be in the top 5 in the league already and he has only been in the league half a season. To bad he isn't near as good as Joseph Addai.

Just remember, it's difficult to beat the same team twice in one season. Remember that.

Last edited:

MakubeX

Partition Master
Hey Rob, what's that Arsenal thing on your shirt and your avatar?

PS. Do you always look so serious? I think you tried to smile when smothering the Hooters girl, but didn't quite make it. :p