ASUS smears GIGABYTE?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In GIGABYTE's blog post talking about hicookie's latest overclocking achievements, there's a link at the end that I found a little distributing. It goes to an article at Atomic PC, and it talks about a smear campaign ASUS might be having against GIGABYTE (I say might, because ASUS hasn't verified that it knows about it).

Just take a look:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/302688,asus-smears-gigabyte-in-astro-turfing-campaign.aspx

If all of that is true, the only word I can sum it up with is "ridiculous".

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
*sigh* :( It looks to be one ridiculously overenthusiastic dipshit, at least - but then again, it could also be made to LOOK like just one overenthusiastic dipshit.

I hate these types of battles.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
But who cares? There are lemon cars (sometimes even an entire series of cars but the rest are fine) so why wouldn't there be lemon mobos, phones, GPUs etc etc etc. Anyways I will likely always like ASUS over Gigabyte due to the bios implementation and the fact that IMO Asus boards seem to have better features.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In the article, it's mentioned that ASUS doesn't even mention its competition by name, and it's true. I've even gone out of my way to get some press reps to mention the competition, but no go. GIGABYTE isn't quite so hardcore about it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Personally, from past experience working as a PC tech, I'll never use a Gigabyte board. The company I worked for built 20 PC's for a school, all using Gigabyte mobos and within 2 years over half had died. That's not a very heartening statistic. Every ASUS board I've used has survived longer than that. Granted, I have had my share of issues with ASUS but nothing like a 50% failure rate.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Personally, from past experience working as a PC tech, I'll never use a Gigabyte board. The company I worked for built 20 PC's for a school, all using Gigabyte mobos and within 2 years over half had died. That's not a very heartening statistic. Every ASUS board I've used has survived longer than that. Granted, I have had my share of issues with ASUS but nothing like a 50% failure rate.

The problem with this is that things change. You might stick to one vendor forever because of past experiences with another, but then the tables can turn at some point and you'll end up using the lesser of the two.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm still running ASUS boards, had one mysteriously die on me out of 7 or 8 I've owned since 2003. That's pretty hard to beat.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm still running ASUS boards, had one mysteriously die on me out of 7 or 8 I've owned since 2003. That's pretty hard to beat.

Someone else could say the same thing about GIGABYTE, that's the real problem. I remember back in the day when WD was considered the "best", and then Seagate. We just keep going back and forth.

I'm with you though in that I've had better luck over the years with ASUS than GIGABYTE, though I've run GIGABYTE on my current and previous rig and haven't had any major issue.

Computer shop wise though, it seems to be that ASRock is becoming a lot more popular. I need to stop ignoring them and check them out.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
MSI! Well, shortly!

Yeah, ASRock has really come out of nowhere. Before they were just a low-end branch of ASUS but management split and they became a separate entity. Now they're putting out some really hardcore offerings. Their Extreme series of motherboards for the various sockets are really nice looking.

They have an Extreme9 for the X79 or Z77 due up shortly.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Good deal, I wasn't sure if they were still ASUS' red headed step-child or not. Good to know they're not.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unless things have changed, I do believe that ASRock is related to ASUS in some way or another, but I'm not sure how. I know for certain that they don't share R&D, so I'm at a loss to how they are related. Asking someone at ASUS about it is pointless. They usually keep things like that completely mum.

Edit: I stand corrected. Both companies are in fact 100% separate.

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
Necro bump. Remember when I said I'd never own a Gigabyte board? Well, I did buy one, ran it for a week and returned it for an ASUS board.

I know you already know this, Rob, but I wanted to point out that despite me saying "I'll never use one" I did at least try.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Necro bump. Remember when I said I'd never own a Gigabyte board? Well, I did buy one, ran it for a week and returned it for an ASUS board.

I know you already know this, Rob, but I wanted to point out that despite me saying "I'll never use one" I did at least try.

LOL, very good. Well, kind of...