ASUS' ROG Xpander Upgrades Rampage III Extreme to Quad-SLI

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Today's desktop motherboards are more robust than ever, but have you ever purchased one and later regretted you didn't opt for one with a greater feature-set? Yeah, probably not. But if you have, and that extra feature-set includes Quad-SLI, then ASUS' ROG "Xpander" might be just for you. Well, as long as you own a Rampage III Extreme.

asus_xpander_052010.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
For the geek who has everything...better hope they have an extra wide case because that looks like it adds about another 3/4 of a in inches. I thought I remembered reading about where anything beyond standard SLI using two cards really isn't worth it since the gains keep getting lower and lower with each card.

I may have made that up since I'm not sleeping much these days.

jagPanzer

Obliviot
That may be possible only in an open case or a Tech Station w/ a standoff attached to the crossbeam, because at least one of the output ports will get blocked
evga_gtx_285_02_thumb.jpg

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's true, because as far as I know, this is just a standard ATX board, and in a normal case (even a full-tower), the board isn't going to fit in properly with that extra height. If you have a chassis that has a lot of slack, it might not be a problem, but yeah, not sure about the riser... didn't even think about that.

I'd like to see one of these in action... hopefully they'll have something next week at Computex to show off.