ASUS Intros High-End Rampage III Black Edition Motherboard

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's not often that I notice an advertisement on our own website of a product I've never seen or heard of before, but in the case of ASUS' Rampage III Black Edition motherboard, I admit, I was caught off-guard. Why is there this great-looking motherboard being shown off, I thought, and we weren't even given a heads-up? According to Amazon, it's even been available for about a month!

asus_riiibe_041311_01.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ALL mine! I sleep on defunct boards at night... I don't have a bed! *

* Statement probably isn't true.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I'm kind of over astronomically priced motherboards. They no longer even bring up feelings of desire. Am I getting old?

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I love how you answered your own question, Greg. bahahaha.

Also, I only see using Intel boards for gaming if you have the money to throw into it. AMD works just fine for gaming..I built my rig for $832, and I can run anything at 1080p max..except for Metro 2033 in DX11. I would only buy Intel if a) I had tons of extra money, or b) if I used a lot of multithreaded programs, like for video encoding/processing or photo editing since I know Intel kicks AMD's butt in that area. AMD's just don't perform all that well for encoding for some reason. Took 15 minutes to encode a 3-minute file in HD :/

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I got to try the Rampage II Extreme, loved that board until a PSU decided to melt the EPS12V connector off it. But yes, while it was great and I loved the additional goodies like the multi-meter testing points, it's hard to justify $100 more just for that. Still loved the board though...

Lol! Use a GTX480 as cooking pan!? :D

I use mine for my hot tub!