Asetek Announces Availability and Preorder Dates for 240mm Super Cooler

eunoia

Partition Master
Asetek Announces Availability and Preorder Dates for 240mm Super Cooler *cancelled*

AFAIK this will be the largest surface area rad on a commercially available closed loop cooler. Dying to see a review of this.

http://www.asetek.com/press-room/news/255-asetek-announces-availability-and-preorder-dates-for-240mm-super-cooler-.html

“Asetek is re-introducing it’s WaterChill™ brand to showcase its latest liquid cooling technologies and make ultra-extreme, limited-edition products like the WaterChill™ 2011C available directly to end-users via the Asetek web site,” said Steve Branton, Director of Marketing at Asetek. “Our plan is to make limited quantities of 1,000 units or less of each product available exclusively through the Asetek web store and to introduce new products to showcase the latest in Asetek technology as it develops.”

Edit July 1, project cancelled, Asetek will release via partner:
http://www.asetek.com/blog/272-waterchill-2011c-to-be-widely-available-via-partner.html

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Looks like competition for Corsair's recently announced H100. From what I hear, some overclocking elitists thing that this will be the superior design but the mounting system leaves a lot to be desired.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This surprises me because I thought Asetek got out of the consumer business altogether. I guess things didn't go down quite for them as they did for CoolIT.

Looks great, though. We'll look at getting one in as soon as our CPU cooler testing machine is all setup (should be soon).

Kayden

Tech Monkey
The problem with that design from what I can see is that the input and output is close together so you aren't getting the most efficient flow that you can possibly get. This is good for entry level cooling but really nothing more than that.

Let me illustrate my point here is my current CPU water block Koolance 360 as you can see it keeps the input separate from the output. Thus preventing the coolant from creating a back pressure or mixing the hot coolant with cool coolant coming in. I had the same problem with my old CPU water block Swiftech Apogee GT you will just have to take my word for it that there is no separator there to split it off, it is so close together it doesn't have enough time to efficiently cool your CPU.

I could totally be wrong here but until I see an internal pic of that thing, I will stick with what I know. I just want every one to make an informed decision and that looks like a very bad buy.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The problem with that design from what I can see is that the input and output is close together so you aren't getting the most efficient flow that you can possibly get. This is good for entry level cooling but really nothing more than that.

Are you saying that it's impossible for the input/output to be close and still retain an efficient design? The pump of this Aestek looks similar to Corsair's, which also has the in/out super-close to one another. But Corsair employs a special split-flow design where I believe the hot and cold are separated as much as possible.

I'm far from being a water-cooling expert though. The amount of research that goes into these things boggles my mind.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
What Kayden is referring to is that the efficiency depends how the core was designed and how many passes it uses...

Given the 1,000 figure stated in the article, it sounds like a very exclusive, high-margin release for just the select few willing to pay for it. Which is more manageable than attempting to launch a mass market product... not to mention Asetek's OEM partners would be much happier to not be competing with one of their own suppliers.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Looks like Antec will be bringing this bad boy out. CoolIT is releasing the H100 with Corsair and PNY uses them for GPU coolers.

Last edited:

eunoia

Partition Master
Looks like Antec will be bringing this bad boy out. CoolIT is releasing the H100 with Corsair and PNY uses them for GPU coolers.

That's what the people who say stuff are saying. Not sure why all the secrecy and changing stories, the idea for a 240mm closed loop was obvious since the H50 came out and is starting to lose its excitement.

eunoia

Partition Master
Reviews of Intel’s RTS2011LC made by Asetek are starting to appear, and it's quite decidedly NOT the product being discussed here. The first clue is the glowing blue Intel logo, and the death blow is any performance comparison against top air, or even any decent air cooler.

To get back their painstakingly-built credibility with overclockers now, Asetek will have to come up with a closed-loop cooler under $100 that beats a NH-D14 by five degrees across the board, then makes you a sandwich.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
What people don't understand is that this was likely designed to Intel's specifications. The Corsair H80 or Antec Kuhler 920 is easily a better option if you want an all-in-one liquid cooler.

A side by side comparison with the H60 or Kuhler 620 would have been nice though.

eunoia

Partition Master
What people don't understand is that this was likely designed to Intel's specifications.

That's fair, but what's the point in working with Asetek at all? Is this Intel's revenge on all the companies that made the products that let us overclock their $300 CPUs way, way past their $1000 CPUs?

NZXT could have made these with just as many blue lights, and now everyone thinks Asetek is a joke.

A side by side comparison with the H60 or Kuhler 620 would have been embarrassing.

fyp :D