Arsenal offers fans free ticket to away game

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's not often that you see something like this happen. On Sunday, Arsenal experienced a humiliating defeat to Manchester United, and as a gunner, I can't even bring myself to repeat the score. However, the loss was so ridiculous that Arsenal is now offering the 3,000 fans that made the trip up to Manchester for the game a free ticket to any other away game.

I can't remember ever hearing about something like this happening before, though it might have.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/950754/arsenal-to-offer-fans-free-ticket

We've really had a shitty start to this season... I hope we can get our act together and actually show some potential. It's ridiculous to be playing quite so poorly THIS early into the season =/

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm going to start running right now as I say this...

You can't spell Arsenal without arse...and it's called soccer! :p

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Wow, that must've been pretty bad! Nice to see a team taking care of their fans though. :)

marfig

No ROM battery
I dunno. They were so much trashed that even fans realized this wasn't just what you expect from a bad team. Had they lost to Man Utd to 4-0 or something like that and everyone would be asking for heads to roll. But as is, they even got a pat on the back from their fans.

The British press tends to be a little too fatalist when these things happen (like nothing Arsenal youth players but forgetting that both teams have the same age average, 23). Until we see more of Arsenal this year, I'd rather look at this result as just an historic event in British football. Nothing much more.

And, in fact just another historic result. After that defeat, that same season Arsenal went to the FA Cup final. The next season they took both the Premier League and FA Cup.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
marfig said:
I dunno. They were so much trashed that even fans realized this wasn't just what you expect from a bad team. Had they lost to Man Utd to 4-0 or something like that and everyone would be asking for heads to roll. But as is, they even got a pat on the back from their fans.

If a team like Charlton Athletic or Derby were to lose to Man U like this, I'd still be a bit shocked. So to have a top-tier team like Arsenal suffer that sort of fate... it's just a little mind-blowing. After a while, I could do nothing but start laughing like a maniacal girl. I thought I was dreaming.

marfig said:
And, in fact just another historic result. After that defeat, that same season Arsenal went to the FA Cup final. The next season they took both the Premier League and FA Cup.

That's true, but it's hard to compare the team of 01 to the team of 11. After 2004, the lustre started to fade a bit, and after Henry left for Barca, we've had the hardest time in recovering. I'll admit we did well last season, but the lack of finesse from our players couldn't bring us over the top. And now Fabregas and Nasri is gone, and while the average age of Man U vs. Arsneal might both be 23, that's where the comparisons have to end.

Wenger has been great at picking out young players and improving them to the point where they almost enter superstar territory, but by the time that happens, most of the players end up leaving. Wenger even said we need to stop being a "feeder team" (if I recall the term), where all we do is breed world-class players so that our competitors can snatch them.

We could sure use a couple epic defensive players.

Who do you support, marfig? ;-)

marfig

No ROM battery
Not much into the English Premier League. My British team plays on the Scottish Premier League. It's the Celtics. I'm a fan since childhood. But have been loosing interest in the league. It's just not competitive. Same reason why I've been loosing interest in Portuguese football. In here I barrack for Belenenses.

In England I sympathize with Aston Villa. It's also a childhood thing, but for different reasons (with the Celtics, a scottish friend of my dad was the responsible for it). Aston Villa happens to be the team I would play with in a BASIC football game for the ZX Spectrum back in the 80s, called Football Manager. It was a strong team in that game, as the real team was in the 80s. Of all reasons to like a team, look what I've picked, lol.

and it's called soccer!

No it's not. That's your North American word for it (and it's American Football, btw. Not Football).

It's not the rest of the world's fault, and no one will follow your lead, that you decided to use "football" to name a bunch of wusses running around with mattresses strapped to their bodies. In here real men play rugby :p

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not much into the English Premier League. My British team plays on the Scottish Premier League. It's the Celtics. I'm a fan since childhood. But have been loosing interest in the league. It's just not competitive. Same reason why I've been loosing interest in Portuguese football. In here I barrack for Belenenses.

I am not familiar with Portuguese football at all, but I am the SPL a bit. I have never been able to take it too seriously though, because when two teams have flip-flopped the trophy for literally the past 30 years, it makes the entire league seem a bit uneventful. Well, except for Ranger vs. Celtic games, that is.

In England I sympathize with Aston Villa. It's also a childhood thing, but for different reasons (with the Celtics, a scottish friend of my dad was the responsible for it). Aston Villa happens to be the team I would play with in a BASIC football game for the ZX Spectrum back in the 80s, called Football Manager. It was a strong team in that game, as the real team was in the 80s. Of all reasons to like a team, look what I've picked, lol.

Wow, that game is OLD-SCHOOL. I have never been a fan of sport manager games, though have tried out the more recent FMs. That one is humbling though... it came out before most people even knew what a computer game was!

As for Aston Villa, that's cool. Any team that picks up a player like Darren Bent is fine by me ;-) I can honestly say that the history of football seems a lot richer with that club than most others. There seems to be a real sense of pride out there, which I guess there'd have to be seeing as they haven't won a major trophy in quite some time (I hope I don't kick myself in 15 years from now if Arsenal end up being in the same situation).

No it's not. That's your North American word for it (and it's American Football, btw. Not Football).

It's not the rest of the world's fault, and no one will follow your lead, that you decided to use "football" to name a bunch of wusses running around with mattresses strapped to their bodies. In here real men play rugby :p

Haha, this sort of mentality won't go down to well on an American forum, let me assure you. I couldn't agree more though, that being said. Most of the world that actually plays the sport calls it football or some variation of. That's good enough for me.