Are SSDs Causing Notebook Defects?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Up to now, SSD seemed like an unstoppable technology. The drives are super-fast, ultra-light and incredibly durable. But according to a "large computer manufacturer", return rates on their notebooks equipped with such drives are as high as 20 - 30%. This is staggering when comparing them to the 1 - 2% return rate for notebooks equipped with regular hard drives.

The reason for the defects are unknown, or what the actual problem is, but return rates like that do not bode well for the future of flash. According to one Dell representative, flash-based drives, although fast, can actually prove slower with certain applications - particularly those that exchange data in small packet sizes.

In the end, this manufacturer could have potentially just received a massive batch of bad drives, so it's far too early to judge what will happen. If stories like these begin popping up often, then it will become a notable problem.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ocz_ssd_bottom_view_031908.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
While the returns are bad news for notebook makers right now, the problems also dim the outlook for the flash industry in general. Flash manufacturers are looking for applications that will suck up the large volume of chips coming out of factories right now. The industry went on a building spree in the last few years.

Source: C|Net Crave

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I read that about the notebooks and SSD's and it really sounds like the SSD's are up to all the hype that came out about them.

I'm not a notebook user (never owned one) so I really haven't a clue as to performance of standard notebook drives, but if they are getting such a high return rate, something sounds like its not playing well together or the SSD's aren't ready for the main stream yet.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am a notebook guy, especially given the current internet situation I am in, and am constantly working on one or connecting through WiFi at a hotspot because I apparently live just south of nowhere.

I haven't ever had a problem with notebook hard drive performance and would place it on par with a desktop experience. Granted, I have a 7200 RPM hard drive in my notebook but still, on an older PII Thinkpad I have simple as a mobile telnet machine, it's old 6 GB drive (well slower than 5400 RPM I would imagine) performs quite well. And it's old.

SSDs are here to stay but for 99% of users, the performance to price ratio is so far on the side of ridiculous, I wouldn't recommend getting one unless you have gobs of money or want to take your computing on the road while you job.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I will hopefully be testing a batch of these on some of our corporate Thinkpad laptops as a install location for our databases in the laptops used in customer facing demos.

Hoping this does not jinx us.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Aside from price, SSDs are better in every way possible. No moving parts, less heat, fast. I would assume it was a bad batch. OR, I don't know as much as I think I do about them. This is also quite possible.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am riding on the fact that it was a bad batch. WHY would there be such a high return rate? I can't piece that one together. It could very well be a problem with the flash chips... I know I've had a few thumb drives just die on me (they were all Corsair Voyagers), but I don't know if that can even be compared to these.

T-D, hopefully you won't run into any issues like that. This seems like a rare case anyway, so chances are you'll be fine.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Further reading states that a lot of these have been returned because of performance expectations not being met as well. I am sure there were faulty drives but it wouldn't surprise me to see people pay out the ass for one of these and then be let down because it isn't as good as the price the had to pay suggested.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
There seems to be some question regarding how Avian got these numbers... more than likely with only a few samples and a good bit of statistics.

If there are actually any failure problems I am sure they would come to light pretty quickly, because lots and lots of companies use those same Samsung drives.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yeah, it seems a bit off to me. Dell is vehemently deny these claims too.

I bet most returns have been from people who paid the 1000 percent premium, for a technologically superior drive in every way, and realized that outside of zero moving parts, there is little to show for that extra cash. For that much money, that drive better knock my socks off.

It seems silly when you think that the drive might last longer than your next 2 notebooks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think SSD right now is strictly for business folk. They are fast, lightweight and increase battery life. It's a win/win overall. It's also these people (or their respective companies) that can easily pay for the drives. It comes at a premium, but is still not a bad option.

In reality though, it shouldn't take too long before prices come down to more reasonable levels. I know Intel plans on 200GB drives sometime this year, so with increases like that, prices should see decreases.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
A 200 gig SSD, I would hate to see how much that one costs. I am still trying to convince myself to purchase a 120GB for my notebook as I could really use the additional space when on the road. My current 60GB drive isn't cutting it.

Even if they could get the prices closet to double that of spindle drives, SSDs would pick up in sales as most great tech does as it moves into affordable price ranges.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, prices are going down fast. By the end of the year, I am sure prices will be half of what they are now... if not even less.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, prices are going down fast. By the end of the year, I am sure prices will be half of what they are now... if not even less.

Thankfully! Some major research firm was estimating a 40-50% reduction in flash drive pricing year over year for the next 4-5 years... won't to be long before they become a standard part of everyone's system at that rate. :cool:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey

I'm not so sure about the prices going down toooo fast..............:eek:

Samples of Super Talent's FSD56GC25H drive are available now. When asked to comment on pricing, Super Talent's Joe James told DailyTech that the OEM price of the drive is $5,995.

http://www.dailytech.com/Super+Talent+Announces+6K+25+256GB+SATA+SSD/article11257.htm

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'm wondering about the effects of heat...I know my notebook gets hot

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Way completely different situation...but my first thought that it's still better than my 50% return rate on my WDs I purchased...excluding the one that came DOA :eek:
Also hearing a lot about WD drives...I wonder if the switched vendors
Most companies eventually go too cheap in order to make better profits for stock holders.....that may be the case here.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage: