Arctic Cooling Accelero X1

U

Unregistered

madmat said:
The case door was off during the entire comparison. Do you not think we'd factor in the fact that "hey if I can't put the side on with cooler A then I better leave it off wirh cooler B"? Besides in both situations the door was leaned up against the case just not attached due to the fact that the radiator for the water cooling setup for the case is attached to the door so it can't go too far away.

Okay, cool, thanks for clearing that up - it might be an idea to mention somewhere in the text that those numbers are with the door off for both coolers though...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
Did you compare the sound level to the stock cooler?

I didn't do direct comparisons, because it was too long of a span between testing, I wouldn't have remembered exactly how it sounded. I can say though, that the Accelero is definitely the quietest cooler I have ever used. With my water cooling rig going, I actually had to look over at one point to make sure the PC was still running because it was so quiet.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
Okay, cool, thanks for clearing that up - it might be an idea to mention somewhere in the text that those numbers are with the door off for both coolers though...
I will reflect this in the review, thanks.

Edit: I should mention that had the card been equipped with a Silencer, then the temps of the card would even be lowered further, without a doubt. The Accelero is a solution designed for BTX cases and doesn't use the DHES technology that the AC Silencer uses.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

i still can't figure out why even in a BTX system you still wouldn't use DHES. there are probably other cards (sound, lan, TV/radio, etc) above your graphics cards in a BTX system that would block the flow of heat upwards and still cause problems. besides, who the hell has BTX anyways?!?!?! stupid arctic cooling. i used to love their products. but after having the fan die in TWO of thier ati silencers within a month, i am not such a fan any longer.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
who the hell has BTX anyways

Don't ask me ;)

It should become more popular over the next year though. A lot of case makers seem to be producing BTX cases recently. I am just relaying what they told me.

U

Unregistered

Btx

With the new emphasis on performance per watt it may be that BTX goes the way of the Dodo bird. Hopefully the wattage of power supplies will go down before 1KW becomes common.

Some questions if you don't mind:
So will this cooler be ok on a standard ATX case?
Does it do a good job of connecting with all the RAM chips?
Will the card configurations of various manufacturers be an issue or the differences between 6800/7800/7900?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yup, the cooler will fit in your ATX case if you don't have a massive fan on your door. It connects to the ram chips just fine, and the layout of the board is almost identical between 6800/7800 so you should have no issues. The 7800GTX and probably the 7900 have memory chips on the back of the card, but the kit includes a heatsink which you can screw through the back also.

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
who the hell has BTX anyways

Don't ask me ;)

It should become more popular over the next year though. A lot of case makers seem to be producing BTX cases recently. I am just relaying what they told me.
actually, i have a BTX case. more precisely, an ATX or BTX case. i have a Stacker case that can be either. i currently have it setup in invereted ATX form. but really, no one (with any significance) really has BTX. plus, if intel doesn't start pushing BTX with their stuff, BTX will just die. none of the other motherboard makers wanted to switch from what i remember. so i just can't figure out why arctic cooling would make such a lousy decision. ah well, i will wait for the new zalman before i decide what to do (and there is the thermalright v1 ultra too). decisions decisions.

R

rower30

Better ideas are so simple to do.

Rob Williams said:
Yup, the cooler will fit in your ATX case if you don't have a massive fan on your door. It connects to the ram chips just fine, and the layout of the board is almost identical between 6800/7800 so you should have no issues. The 7800GTX and probably the 7900 have memory chips on the back of the card, but the kit includes a heatsink which you can screw through the back also.

This cooler, I bought two, needs to have the heat pads for the memory chips placement marked on the heat sink itself somehow. This way, the pads can be stuck to the heat sink and not mess with the darn uncleanable memory chips themselves. This would make a pain in the ass job a two second affair. All the 7800GT boards are close to the same, so a few stencils included for the few board layouts there are could do the trick. Just lay the stencil on the heat sink and apply the heat pads (I made my own stencil). It is a WAY TO hard a situation to HOPE that the pads don't fall off when you apply the heatsink to the board with the memory pads just waiting to slip off at the slightest move.

This is a silly gaff that should be easy to fix, design a stencil system that sticks the pads onto the surface they stick to!

U

Unregistered

1) whats BTX?
2) i have a 6800GS XFX , it supports my card ?

madmat

Soup Nazi
rower30 said:
This cooler, I bought two, needs to have the heat pads for the memory chips placement marked on the heat sink itself somehow. This way, the pads can be stuck to the heat sink and not mess with the darn uncleanable memory chips themselves. This would make a pain in the ass job a two second affair. All the 7800GT boards are close to the same, so a few stencils included for the few board layouts there are could do the trick. Just lay the stencil on the heat sink and apply the heat pads (I made my own stencil). It is a WAY TO hard a situation to HOPE that the pads don't fall off when you apply the heatsink to the board with the memory pads just waiting to slip off at the slightest move.

This is a silly gaff that should be easy to fix, design a stencil system that sticks the pads onto the surface they stick to!

If you'll thoroughly clean the ram chips first with a good solvent such as OOPS! or Goof Off then go over them with 91% isopropyl alcohol you'll find that the pads will stick. I've run across the same issue with adhesive backed ram sinks and a 7800GTX and what I've outlined made the ramsinks stick very well.

Good luck!

P

PDH-NicFury

BTX is supposed to replace ATX as the motherboard standard. It rearranges the layout of the board to reduce latencies and help cool the mobo and the hardware attached to it. Some case makers (Lian Li, Cooler Master, etc.) have made cases that are like BTX for ATX mobos by turning the mobo upside down. If you look at the back of a case, the PCI slots are on the bottom and the I/O ports are on the top left; BTX is PCI on the top and I/O ports on the lower right. So far this works quite well, which is why BTX hasn't been widely adopted yet.

PDH-NicFury