Arctic Cooling Accelero X1

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Arctic Cooling is soon to release a new GPU cooler called the Accelero. There are two versions of the cooler, one for top end NVIDIA and the other for top end ATI. I am taking a look at the NVIDIA version which I throw on a card that's known for overheating often. Let's take a closer look.

Feel free to discuss the review in this thread!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Good review of another great Arctic Cooling product. If I were to go back to air cooling I would go bak to the Arctic Cooling Silencer serise of video card coolers. I had/have one of the first VGA Silencers that I use on my 9800Pro for a long long time, so if the new ones last as well as the old ones, they should last as long as the video card it's self.

madmat

Soup Nazi
That's one big cooler, are those "stubs" heatpipes? I wonder how the new Zalman will stack up to the AC-X1. It should be interesting to see although it'll be on a totally different card :(

How heavy exactly is the X1, BTW?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Zalman cooler hasn't been announced yet :p

Yup, those 'stubs' are the ends of the heatpipes. It's definitely a unique design. It's not heavy at _all_ really.

X1: 262 Grams
nV 5: 428 Grams

madmat

Soup Nazi
The new Zalman might not be announced but it was at CES '06 this year. I could find pics of it if you wanted...

madmat

Soup Nazi
Never thought you doubted me, just thought you might like to see it, it's kinda like a shrunk down 9500 that's been cut in half and laid on the GPU core.

Hard to explain but if you see it you'll grok what I'm saying.

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
It's from matbe.com
000000025745.jpg

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Quite ingenious. Zalman continue to impress with their designs. Is there any info on if it will include ramsinks? Or is it going to cover the ram with the unit as well? That's really neat how the heat pipes wrap around the fan and fins like that. Can't wait to see what turns up.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I have no clue if the sinks are included, I can't read French and that's what I think the site is although I might be able to answer that at a later date...

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yeah, there's that and babelfish but I really dislike those as they do a literal translation so the words are the English equivelent but the syntax is still jumbled unlike a translation done by someone fluent in the language. I've done that and still couldn't really understand what they were talking about due to the jumbled words.

Thanks anyways :)

U

Unregistered

i see you have a DFI board. can you rerun the tests on the accelero and give temp readings for the NF chipset and PWMIC? i know the graphics card temp will go down, but since you are blowing that hot air directly onto the motherboard, i would like to know the effects on other temps in the system. also, b/c of the way this cooler directs air, it isn't really a fair review unless you can put the case side cover back on. unless you always plan on leaving the side cover off. thanks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
i see you have a DFI board. can you rerun the tests on the accelero and give temp readings for the NF chipset and PWMIC?

Sorry, the GPU was taken out of the case due to the fact that I couldn't put the door back on. It's also a buggy card that's ready to be RMA'd yet again, so I don't want to mess with it any more.

it isn't really a fair review unless you can put the case side cover back on.

I am not about to take the time to switch cases when I am busy enough as is. I admitted the case door couldn't be put back on, so people will have to take that as is.

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
i see you have a DFI board. can you rerun the tests on the accelero and give temp readings for the NF chipset and PWMIC?

Sorry, the GPU was taken out of the case due to the fact that I couldn't put the door back on. It's also a buggy card that's ready to be RMA'd yet again, so I don't want to mess with it any more.

it isn't really a fair review unless you can put the case side cover back on.

I am not about to take the time to switch cases when I am busy enough as is. I admitted the case door couldn't be put back on, so people will have to take that as is.

Leaving the case door off completely invalidates the review. Of course it's going to be cooler if you leave the door off. It's only a valid test if you give the temps of the stock cooler with the door off as well. From checking various other reviews of this cooler, I'd be betting the reduction in temperature is more down to the door being off than the cooler itself.

If you're too busy to do a proper test, you shouldn't be surprised when people are too busy to read a site that doesn't test things properly.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Unregistered said:
Leaving the case door off completely invalidates the review. Of course it's going to be cooler if you leave the door off. It's only a valid test if you give the temps of the stock cooler with the door off as well. From checking various other reviews of this cooler, I'd be betting the reduction in temperature is more down to the door being off than the cooler itself.

If you're too busy to do a proper test, you shouldn't be surprised when people are too busy to read a site that doesn't test things properly.

The case door was off during the entire comparison. Do you not think we'd factor in the fact that "hey if I can't put the side on with cooler A then I better leave it off wirh cooler B"? Besides in both situations the door was leaned up against the case just not attached due to the fact that the radiator for the water cooling setup for the case is attached to the door so it can't go too far away.