Anybody else use only the onboard audio?

supramax

Obliviot
Onboard sound. One of the reasons I like building my own computer, I make sure I get a motherboard with decent onboard sound.

Fr00zen

Obliviot
My opinion is that onboard audio is fine for everything you possibly need sound for, with one exception, that exception is games. Therefore if you want to listen to cd music, or watch a video, or anything else then onboard audio is fine. But for games, you need the decreased resources and faster response you will get when using a sound card.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Now I havent ran any benches but I can't tell a differance when playing with onboard sound versus a sound card. I hate that argument as 99% of the time, the differance is unnoticable. Perhaps when you bench, but I just turn it all off in the BIOS. I am currently sending audio out to a set of OLD polk audio desktop speakers that came with my wife's HP Celeron 850 MHz back in the day so needless to say, it's a waste of hardware.

Ben

Site Developer
Fr00zen said:
My opinion is that onboard audio is fine for everything you possibly need sound for, with one exception, that exception is games. Therefore if you want to listen to cd music, or watch a video, or anything else then onboard audio is fine. But for games, you need the decreased resources and faster response you will get when using a sound card.

Of course unless your concerned with a little thing called quality, then you'll know that onboard sound sucks balls.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Orbit said:
Of course unless your concerned with a little thing called quality, then you'll know that onboard sound sucks balls.

I agree with that to an extent. As stated by many others before, quality is only as good as the weakest link and in most cases, its the good old speakers. I am perfectly happy with my on-board sound but then again, I am perfectly happy with sucking balls.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Onboard sound works fine for me, but then again I'm half deaf from working on turbine engined helicopters in the Army for 20 years. So as long as I can hear it go boom when I frag something, it's all good...................;)

discharge

Obliviot
sbrehm72255 said:
Onboard sound works fine for me, but then again I'm half deaf from working on turbine engined helicopters in the Army for 20 years. So as long as I can hear it go boom when I frag something, it's all good...................;)

You're in the army and you don't get enough killing already?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
discharge said:
You're in the army and you don't get enough killing already?
Been retired for sometime now........:eek: Living off a small retirement and disability...........:cool: After 2 helicopter crashes and a few small wars, the only killing happens on the computer, but that's not saying that I'd mind going back on active duty if I were called upon...........:cool:

adabo24

Obliviot
sbrehm72255 said:

Onboard sound also. I'm not deaf, but I don't mind it. I'm mostly too busy fragging in a game to worry about sound quality.

MaRm

Obliviot
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic audio card is what I'm using. Worth the slightly over hundred bucks that I paid for it.

adabo24

Obliviot
gliffy said:
Only the junky onboard audio here. Can't complain, it was free :)

Never free. The manufacturer ups the price on the motherboard to add in the cost of the audio chip. Plus you pay for all the audio cables they throw in the box.

MaRm

Obliviot
adabo24 said:
Never free. The manufacturer ups the price on the motherboard to add in the cost of the audio chip. Plus you pay for all the audio cables they throw in the box.

A manufacturer only pays cents on the dollar to add an audio chip or cables in the box. The markup on the final retail price is not that much for onboard audio.

supramax

Obliviot
I can't believe that a sound card is faster for your computer then onboard sound. Isn't onboard sound built directly onto the motherboard's bus. I always thought onboard sound would be faster.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Using a sound card takes the load off the CPU that the onboard normally causes. I'm not sure if you'll get 5 FPS, but you'll gain a few anyway.............:)

fullpicture

Obliviot
In the past, I've tryed both an internal sound card and motherboard audio, and I never noticed a difference in speed between the two ;)

Yes, using a dedicated sound card will improve your FPS in games, if you use high-quality positional surround sound. If you run two channels for just headphones or 2.1 speakers, no surround or positional, you'll barely notice a difference.

Onboard sound chips use the CPU to process the surround decoding, while PCI based cards have (for the most part) their own dedicated processing chips. This removes the load from the CPU, RAM, and Northbridge, which can result in up to 5 FPS faster in games that use heavy audio encoding.

For the guy that said Soundstorm chips use fewer system resources, that is in comparison to previous onboard sound chips, not in comparison to PCI or other sound cards.

Blumen

Coastermaker
ACTUALLY...

Believe it or not, the best possible sound solution that you can get out of a computer-based setup, is through an Nvidia SoundStorm onboard card. The SPDIF Out jack is the way to go. That's the key, because otherwise, it's not that much better than most other onboard sound solutions. If you run an optical audio cable from that to a dedicated stereo reciever (DAC), the sound clarity will be amazing. True surround, no noticeable distortion, much clearer, more defined, the advantages go on and on.

Sure, there are other pci slot sound cards that can also do it, but for some reason, they never sound as good.