Anybody else use only the onboard audio?

LOOP

Obliviot
For the last 4 years, I been using only the onboard audio on my computer builds and been liking it. The soundstorm system I had sounded as good as any soundcard I ever tryed, and my current computer system does just as well, if not better, with the onboard audio. It uses less system resources when playing audio too, then most soundcards.

I wanted to ask in this thread, does anyone else just use their onboard audio for playing games / music / listening to videos / or whatever else they need sound for?

ducarti

Obliviot
Onboard sound for me.

Listening to cd-music is what I mainly use it for, and it works fine for that purpose.

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
I wouldn't touch onboard audio. I play too many games and I like high quality sound which you only get from a good sound card. There is nothing like hearing every gun shot and explosion with movie theater quality when playing a game!

liqnit

E.M.I.
i use onboard sound and since the ALC850 is doing ok for i don't see the point of
getting a SOundCard

humanzoo

Obliviot
liqnit said:
i use onboard sound and since the ALC850 is doing ok for i don't see the point of
getting a SOundCard

I got the same onboard sound as you. I have a MSI Neo 2 Platinum motherboard. Use to be the best socket 939 motherboard at the time that it came out, but isn't anymore. However, the sound on it is still very nice. The Realtek ALC850 is a 7.1 channel onboard sound chip. I play a lot of games and when I go to my friend's house who uses a sound card, I swear the games sound better on my own system.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I use onboard sound, but all I have are headphones. If it's theatre and quality sound reproduction you want, a good sound card is the way to go. It reduces system resources, and gives a higher quality. You're wasting money if you've got great speakers and onboard sound, though. If you're going to invest in one the other should follow.

That'd be like putting a race car engine in your car and not swapping out the exhaust. You're limiting one with the other component.

izzie

Obliviot
Jakal said:
It reduces system resources

One of the selling points of Soundstorm was lower system resources. I doubt a sound card will lower system resources more then a good onboard audio chip.

Uc-ker

Obliviot
izzie said:
One of the selling points of Soundstorm was lower system resources. I doubt a sound card will lower system resources more then a good onboard audio chip.

There is a difference in opinion between a couple people on whether the onboard sound or sound card requires less system resources. Wish I could see some benchmarks between onboard sound vs. sound card. Prove it one way or the other.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I wish I could find the circuitry schematic, but I can't and it's late.

Basically, using onboard sound creates more data for the northbridge and cpu to process. An onboard sound card reduces this by processing all the sound information then sending the data out with less interference to the other chips.

You'll notice slightly higher framerates. Nothing huge maybe 5fps more, and the sound quality will be better with a good card.

Worldstar

Obliviot
Jakal said:

Basically, using onboard sound creates more data for the northbridge and cpu to process. An onboard sound card reduces this by processing all the sound information then sending the data out with less interference to the other chips.

You'll notice slightly higher framerates. Nothing huge maybe 5fps more, and the sound quality will be better with a good card.

I use a sound card here and games run smoothly with it. No delays or lag when using a sound card.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
lol @ my typing

I meant that using a PCI or actual sound card you reduce the amount of processes that the cpu and northbridge have to handle.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I use an Audigy2 ZS only because I got a good deal on it. To be honest, I cannot tell a differance between my on board and my Audigy card but then again, your sound card is only as good as your speakers and I am certainly not using top of the line speakers. Actually, I have 4.1 Altecs that I bought my second year of college.....5 years ago! So yeah, the debate continues but an audiophile I am not.

anibalX

Obliviot
my asus had the SoundMax onboard audio.. but i changed it by a Creative Sound Blaster Live.. yeah, i know it isn't a big change.. but Has a bit diference in quality

xstatic

Obliviot
anibalX said:
my asus had the SoundMax onboard audio.. but i changed it by a Creative Sound Blaster Live.. yeah, i know it isn't a big change.. but Has a bit diference in quality

The quality should of went down and not up? The Creative Sound Blaster Live is really outdated and almost any onboard audio should perform better then it. Are you sure that you configured the onboard audio correctly on your motherboard when you tested it?

Uc-ker

Obliviot
Jakal said:

I posted a message a few days ago, and asked if anyone had benchmarks that actually would prove whether a sound card or audio chip was faster.

Therefore I got to ask, do you have any benchmarks to backup your above figures of 5 fps faster rate?

adabo24

Obliviot
Audigy 2 is what I use for sound.

I only have 2 desktop speakers and 1 subwoofer. Not using its full capabilities in the least. Though it does run pretty fast and I notice absolutely no slow down in games.