AMD to Modify its Radeon HD 6000 Naming Scheme?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Earlier this week, we linked to a site that acquired leaked specs for AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 6770 and 6750 graphics cards, and from what we saw, it became clear that things could get very, very interesting when they hit the street. Based on the specs alone, both of the cards are set to blow their predecessor out of the water - which leads us to wonder what the high-end HD 6000 series cards could be like.

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Neither do I, seems pointless. AMD tried to dump the numbering system as well, and wanted us to use cedar and evergreen and such... but then that just further confuses consumers... and techy's, since which is better, at least with numbers, higher = better.... unless it's nvidia (9600 vs 8800 or something like that.... too long ago to remember, lol) :p. To increase the number by 100 over a previous generation... i think they misread something, since if you add an extra 0 on the end, 5 series becomes 6 series. But to say that the 5750 becomes the 6850, that's just silly, since what will the 5970 become or will they just not bother releasing a dual chip card due to power requirements (300 watt limit)?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I don't think they will be changing the naming system and I do believe they are going to release not one but 2 dual GPU parts. Supposedly the regular 6970 is supposed to eat 330 watts and the eyefinity 8 edition is 335 but also has slightly higher fill rates.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Cool! Another Saint John'er!

It's going to be a bit funky if people start buying up 6770's and 6750's expecting a budget screamer and only get an entry gaming card. Good thing I'm a hardware junky but for those who don't obsess over the newest shiny, shiny it could spell doooooooooom.