Alright, I need to learn how to OC

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Luckily the Phenom II that TheDarkStarr is sporting is a C3 so there -should- be more overclocking headroom left although I'm not sure how much.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
yeah my 6870 at the settings in my sig hit 72C max running 5 mins in furmark. it actually hit 71 then hing around 70 for a bit so that's about the temp cap so far.

bumped it up to 1175 and it's still good! :D

Last edited:

GFreeman

Coastermaker
These temps seem about normal, but I wouldn't advice overclocking that graphics card much more using stock cooling. The temps may vary depending on the actual load on the graphics card. Some games are more graphic card intense then others so you may see some different temp readings as well. To stay on the safe side it's good to consider upgrading cooling as well.

EDIT: if you see artefacts appear then that's usually is a sign your memory clock is set too high.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I remember the good ol' days of ATI overclocking when 90 degrees was nothing out of the ordinary. Now I have no clue what the general maximum safe temperature is although I'd say you still have some headroom simply because FurMark will likely load your card more than just about any game out there. 100% GPU usage in a game has never happened to me and I've graphed it for an hour in multiple games.

If I recall our Steam conversation correctly, your air flow is pretty good so I'd almost think that you'll get artifacts/lock ups due to a lack of voltage before you hit your maximum temperature.

Did you give your fan a bump in speed or is it still sitting at Auto? I find if I put mine at 60% it becomes slightly audible but does about as much coolling as is needed.