A Quick Look at Sabayon 6

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Today, it's not difficult to find a 'great' distro, one that makes it easy to get up and running with a fully functional and robust desktop, fast. Even just five years ago, though, finding a 'do it all' distro was a little more difficult, and it was for that reason that I found myself loving Sabayon Linux (pronounced Sah-by-yon (silent 'n')). Despite being built on an intermediate distro, Gentoo, it made things easy on the layman user - and I know this to be true as I've had many Linux novice friends use it and enjoy it.

sabayon_6_kde_desktop_062411_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I immediately liked the look of the desktop, then read on and said ah heck no. I know there are many other options out there and I am thinking about taking the leap into that world but right now, I haven't decided if I want to do this on my main machine or fix up my botched buy of an intel cpu and board from a friend and go that way, decisions decisions. If I could still do it on my PS3 I would do it in a heart beat, stupid bluray is dead might as well, but no Sony are a bunch of (insert foul word here) and had to pull that feature out. Good thing I don't have to do it, it's just a want and good thing about wants is that they can take all the time in the world and no one will really care.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This is to cover my own personal experience, since it would be impossible to add all the details to the quick look article. Both Rob and I installed Sabayon 6.0 at the same time with the same x86_64_k disc (64-bit KDE install). PC specs in signature...

After some initial problems related to a temperamental DVD drive getting picky over media... the live disc was created. The disc went in, booted from the Live disc with music enabled (just to try it out). The Live disc provides a fully functional environment, everything was working, even Internet access, graphics and sound. However, what was immediately apparent was the somewhat random behaviour of the mouse and keyboard. At first I thought nothing of it, it was working for the most part... so it was off to the installer.

The Install went on a formatted 1TB Samsung F3 hard drive in case you want to know. The installer is simple enough, select country, keyboard style/regional settings and such... root password and main user account details. The only trouble came with the partitioner.

While I am a novice to Linux, I am not completely oblivious to some of its quirks. Remembering my previous Ubuntu installs and with some reminders from Rob, 3 partitions were created. The first being '/boot' - a 500MB ext4 partition for storing GRUB, etc, the bootloader. The second was an 8GB '/swap' - equivalent to windows pagefile. The remaining 900GB was then created as a Btrfs volume for the main OS itself.

A quick note on Btrfs - this is the GPL version of SUN/Oracle's ZFS. This is the, to put it simply, super extensive file system built with redundancy and data integrity in mind. It has built in read/write checksum, live data compression, encryption, an integrated volume management system, much like RAID, and all kinds of other goodies. Yes, for some reason, I like reading up on file systems... mainly because I'm fed up with the technical limitations of FAT32 and NTFS... but I digress...

The rest of the install went along uneventful... rebooted and here I was in Sabayon 6.0. Then the troubles start. My hardware is not atypical - it's a high end system, yes, modern, yes, but no SCSI controllers, PCIe SSD, SPARC CPUs, fibre network or anything like that. So I logged in, keyboard and mouse working at the login screen.... I start to interact with the taskbar with the mouse and the woes begin...

I could left and right click on the taskbar, opening up menus, volume control, network, main menu, etc, but I could not interact with anything above the task bar. All the menus were greeted with blank mouse key presses. I plugged in a different mouse in a different USB slot and the same problem. The keyboard was at least responsive.... initially...

Navigating around through a GUI with a KB only was a trial of patience. Fortunately I managed to get chromium open, and low and behold, the mouse could interact with it. Opening tabs, scrolling the page, it was wondrous... but I had lost the ability to interact with the taskbar... reading up a little as to possible problems, I saw that KDE gestures could sometimes interfere... I set about disabling them. Not so fast...

Opening up the system settings and then navigating to gesture controls was simple enough. I tabbed through to the gesture controls to disable and - nothing. No space or enter commands would toggle the options. Tab too far and it would enter a text input window, which would record tab key presses, making me stuck. So I had to escape a few times... then after some experimenting with tabbing and arrow keys, I managed to get to the main gesture control, and space managed to turn it off... woohoo! Rebooted...

Same problem. Rob, with the patience of a saint, starts guiding me through a manual update of the display drivers (since I'm running an AMD card, not the most Linux friendly and could be the cause of the mysterious interaction problems). A couple reboots later and I still have problems.

So I open chromium again, looking for solutions with the system settings open, I try to do a search, but I can't interact with the search bar, I start typing and for some reason, the system settings selection is jumping all over the place, but the mouse will only interact with chromium. Work this out... the keyboard is stuck in system settings and the mouse is stuck in chromium... neither being able to switch. The GUI input focus was split and all over the place - by this time I was borderline going insane.

Rob then suggested I try switching to GNOME. The meta or full version wasn't available, so GNOME-light was installed instead. Some terminal entries and a reboot later, I switched the login mode to GNOME and it was a breath of fresh air, I could interact with menus - albeit ugly menus, but I could finally use the interface...

Until I couldn't. The relief was short lived as the madness took over with input modes locking down to specific apps and interface elements. I conceded defeat and went to bed.

Is it some random issue with X11-drivers? Do I have funky peripherals? Is the AMD driver to blame? I have no idea... So I'm off to give Pinguy a go - maybe I'll have better luck.

----- Edit -----

Nope, no luck there, this is truly frustrating. Even with Pinguy OS Live disc used, I get the same input issues. It's worth pointing out that Sabayon and Pinguy are very different, Pinguy is based on Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian, Sabayon is based on Gentoo. So, this is either a Motherboard issue, P67/chipset issue... or a conflict with X/xorg/X11 with one of the above. The reason for X being a possible problem comes down to both KDE and GNOME using it as the base... though I'm uncertain of versions...

Plenty of reading going on here atm...

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Rob's last question as I left chat last night: So Optix, feel like installing Linux?

My reaction: BWAHAHAHAHA! You're funny.

Looks like you're still a funny guy. I'll stick my clunky, slow, full of holes Windows.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Rob's last question as I left chat last night: So Optix, feel like installing Linux?

My reaction: BWAHAHAHAHA! You're funny.

Looks like you're still a funny guy. I'll stick my clunky, slow, full of holes Windows.

For the amount of time you have free in a given day, I won't hold it against you for not giving Linux a try ;-)

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Madness consumes me!!

Running out of ideas... maybe some tripped out option needs to be flipped in the EFI, maybe Sandy Bridge is just Shady bridge... maybe i'm just doomed to a life of windows... in any case... 2 different Linux types, 2 different builds, same problem.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
It's stuff like this that can turn one's first Linux adventure into a disappointment. It's a shame. Still, I'm quite interested in this Btrfs ....

sleepypeepy

Obliviot
Works for me - mostly

Picked up your review from Distrowatch.

Just a general review of my experience with Sabayon. Been running Sabayon 5 Gnome successfully on an AMD Quad core wireless desktop system with ATI graphics - and a HP AMD dv6xxx laptop - until the Sabayon update installed Gnome 3 and trashed both.

Prior to that Sabayon had been faultless - none of the problems described on your review. I always prepare my partitions in advance. The only issue with Sabayon has been the number and size of the updates - check fastest mirror seems to assist.

So not to beaten I installed Sabayon 6 KDE 64 on the desktop, installed all the updates and the programmes I use and installed the latest linux 3.0.0 kernel. I have also made regular Clonezilla partition backups - to be recommended on any major install.

There is one irritation the time-clock is always 1 hour fast on login and I have to reset.

I would recommend you look again at Sabayon, but not the gnome version on my experience. Other than that I have found Sabayon a "great" Distro - all the programmes you need - excellent support and forums - and a good way to learn and develop your linux knowledge.