A Look at Futuremark's 3DMark 11

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The time has come for another one of Futuremark's benchmarks to help us realize that our current PCs are lacking in performance. We're taking a look at 3DMark 11, which utilizes all of DirectX 11's goodies, and as expected, the result looks good. Read on to learn more, and also see our benchmark results from 12 current graphics cards.

You can check out our look at 3DMark 11 and discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Rob said:
It's clear that 3DMark 11, with its brute-force graphics techniques and adjusted scoring algorithms, will deliver results much lower than what we've seen with Vantage. While AMD's Radeon HD 5970 scored over 13,000 in the Extreme test in Vantage, is scored a measly 2294 at the similar setting here. No complaints... but it will be fun to see who can hit 10,000 first at the Extreme setting!
Hi, Brains! My name is Money. There's more of me than there is of you. Let me introduce you to my friends Quad SLI and Quad-fire!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, I'm curious if even THAT'd do it, though. GPUs don't tend to scale 100% in a 2-GPU setup, and it gets worse the higher you go. If I had to guess, 4 x 580 would hit around 7000, but I could be a bit off. Shouldn't take too long to find out though, I'm sure SOMEONE'S on the path to hitting it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So far it looks like the highest score is around 5,300. This might take a while:

http://bit.ly/iaTxC6

I don't think quad-GPU has been touched though, so soon enough someone is going to.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
wrong, it would be SR-2 + dual hexacore Xeons + 4 580s :D
Always gotta one up me, huh? :p

I can't believe the way some people throw money into their rigs. There was one in the CoolIT contest that was over $5,000! It's was one of the best builds I have ever seen but still...

Someone out there is sure to pull it off soon. With the 6900's possibly delayed I'm curious to see who scores higher.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
*shakes his head*

Pantera suddenly jumps into my head - vulgar display of power. That's just gross.