27 days uptime

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Towards the beginning of August, I had wanted to see how long I could go without a reboot on my main machine. Once I hit 6 days, the power was nice enough to go out to screw me up rather quickly.

Well, I have hit 27 days uptime. I don't consider that too bad for a machine I use ~14 hours a day ;-)

This is the proof I have... you can see in the info bar that I was 26 days at that point, however this morning made it 27. So... what screwed me up this time? I decided to log out and back in, to refresh the environment. *Crash*

:D

Time to start over... I gotta hit 30 at least :(

Attachments

• uptime.png
    uptime.png
    777.8 KB · Views: 711

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Iunno how long the logest ive ever ran it was... but no more than 2-3 weeks maybe. Auto update bastage made me reboot :-/

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Auto Update -- One of the most annoying things I have ever experienced regarding computers. I have no clue what idiot thought that a nag screen popping up every fifteen minutes would be a great idea.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You can't disable the feature I am talking about. What I am referring to is -after- you perform updates. Some updates require you reboot your computer in order to complete itself, which is why it nags you.

It doesn't have anything to do with being an auto-update, but rather will strike you regardless of how you download the official updates.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Aye... mine literally forced me to shut down once... I was in the middle of a download that I had been undergoing for 2 days and all of a sudden it said it was going to take 2 more hours instead of 2 more days... I left confident to return to a download, instead that autoupdate had restarted my computer... ****ing bitch.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
I don't know if I could ever let it go for more than a few days with all the stuff I install/uninstall on a regular basis.

There's something nigh-compulsive about my restarting... Clean out the cobwebs every other moment. Scrape away the corrosion every morning.

Restart for luck. Restart for the children. Restart for a better tomorrow.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Nerds......everybody who is cool reboots before every sit down. You are still running Win98SE right?

Quite a feat there Rob, quite a feat.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I shut down every night, mainly because I'm a cheap bastard and don't like paying for power when I'm sleeping................;)
That and orr power is so crappy out here where I live, you just never know when it's going to go out totally or just get cut in half, just the breaks of living way out in the sticks I guess.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
I was just camping in MO over the weekend and am considering moving there in the future. Given your post, where do I not go if I want decent, dependable modern living replete with the regular amenities? :)

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Any of the larger towns or cities are fairly good, I'm just stuck so far out in the woods I keep a generator on hand for the bad days and have to use satellite internet to get any sort of broadband.
I will say that the cost of living here in MO is much cheaper than just about anywhere else I've lived. But times are a changing and prices are on the rise........:(

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
The XP-based computer that works as my music server has been running for two months now. I only run Windows Media Player on it, though.

Indiana represent.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well... I hit 45 days uptime this time around. Why did it stop? Power surge. The exact thing I knew was going to screw me up. It's what happens when you live in a bullshit apartment. My goal of course was 50, but I knew this was going to happen so I can't be that upset.

Time to buy a UPS.

Attachments

• uptime_45d.png
    uptime_45d.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 583

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Well... I hit 45 days uptime this time around. Why did it stop? Power surge. The exact thing I knew was going to screw me up. It's what happens when you live in a bullshit apartment. My goal of course was 50, but I knew this was going to happen so I can't be that upset.

Time to buy a UPS.

Well, ain't that a bitch.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
rwilliams@localhost ~ $ uptime
17:44:49 up 55 days, 6:26, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.12, 0.14

Finally, beat my lame goal of 50 days uptime. Just how far can it possibly go, that's the question!