Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This seems like pretty significant news:

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So... what's the bad part of this? I am not particularly a "fan" of either company, so if people are up in arms, I'm not sure why. Also have seen some flack against there being an Episode VII, though I am not sure that's coming from actual SW fans or not.

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
LOVE Star Wars, but HATE Disney. I hate Disney's soulless, money-grubbing corporatism. They used to be a creative juggernaut, making art and other beautiful things. I'm annoyed beyond words that they've appropriated other people's creative endeavors, put their spin on things, then somehow get recognized as the originators of the material. As proof, I offer The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Sleeping Beauty...

I am horrified with the idea that Star Wars will become corrupted. Say what you will about Lucas being as corporate as Disney, but at least Lucas (and Lucasfilm) genuinely create their own original art. I would argue that George Lucas has revolutionized cinema like few others have in the history of film. Say what you will about Lucas' shortcomings as a filmmaker, but his influence, inventions, and creations will continue contributing to the art of cinema forever. For Disney to now have an avenue of appropriating everything Lucas has done horrifies me no end.

That's pretty much the long and short of it for me.

madmat

Soup Nazi
FWIW, Lucas had originally planned to make it a 9 episode series. That is after he changed the first from a stand alone film to Episode IV, A New Hope.

Episodes VII, VIII and IX were to address the changes to the republic after the death of the emperor as well as look at the family of Han and Leia as well as Luke's revival of the Jedi order.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
FWIW, Lucas had originally planned to make it a 9 episode series. That is after he changed the first from a stand alone film to Episode IV, A New Hope.

Episodes VII, VIII and IX were to address the changes to the republic after the death of the emperor as well as look at the family of Han and Leia as well as Luke's revival of the Jedi order.

Hehe, will he still dis-allow marriages and relationships?! :cool:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

Given DarkStarr's quote though, it almost sounds like there could be a lot more than just 1-9 in the end. Not sure I like the sound of that. SW has been a series where new movies just haven't been expected, and now they want to start releasing them all the time it seems. Just a bit odd...

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member

Thing is, that road's already been traveled with the Expanded Universe novels and comic books and other formats. All those stories are considered canon for the most part.

Knowing Disney's penchant for exploitation in the name of the almighty dollar, I'm afraid they will disregard what's been very carefully crafted into the canon and retcon everything just to satisfy THEIR own needs/desires. Either that or make the post-Ep VI material into films, which is rather pointless, IMO.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Knowing Disney's penchant for exploitation in the name of the almighty dollar

That's just it... it seems like they could bleed the series dry and piss off a lot of fans.

And also, no one seems to care about Indiana Jones, but that series is now under Disney also. Though I'd jump to conclusions and say that series lately actually flows with Disney better than Star Wars (the last IJ reminded me a fair bit of National Treasure).

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
That's just it... it seems like they could bleed the series dry and piss off a lot of fans.

They haven't DONE anything yet, and I'm already pissed off. For the reasons why, just scroll up and re-read what I've already said about the matter.

And also, no one seems to care about Indiana Jones, but that series is now under Disney also. Though I'd jump to conclusions and say that series lately actually flows with Disney better than Star Wars (the last IJ reminded me a fair bit of National Treasure).

I think the Indy Jones franchise is less susceptible to exploitation in films, since it's more or less an eponymous franchise. That is, to say, without Indy, there is NO Indiana Jones. The most recent movie sort of explored the idea of continuing the Indiana Jones story beyond Indiana Jones himself (by introducing his son). Problem is, Indy is inextricably tied to Harrison Ford. And Mr. Ford is, what, approaching Yoda's age?

They could do a TV series on Indy, I suppose, but that would require a serious retooling of the storytelling model.

Anyway, I'm still full of serious trepidation about the whole thing.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Thing is, that road's already been traveled with the Expanded Universe novels and comic books and other formats. All those stories are considered canon for the most part.

Knowing Disney's penchant for exploitation in the name of the almighty dollar, I'm afraid they will disregard what's been very carefully crafted into the canon and retcon everything just to satisfy THEIR own needs/desires. Either that or make the post-Ep VI material into films, which is rather pointless, IMO.

The reason there is the expanded universe novels and comics and not films 7, 8 & 9 is Lucas decided that he'd die before they were done so he opened it up to fans to fill in the blanks.

Just my humble opinion but I can't see Disney making any more mess of SW than Lucas did. 4 and 5 were great films. 1, 2, 3 and 6 were schlock. Teddy bears? Jar-jar? Then there's the dialog in 1, 2 & 3. Top it off with no real sets, 100% green screen with props, bleh.

4 was an epic movie because it broke ground. It moved science fiction away from campy fare and into the realm of believability. 5 continued that but 6 lost the track. It never seemed to get better with the subsequent installments.

So, meh, I can't say I'm disappointed. I can only hope that any future films will be made by someone with a love of the original Star Wars film who tries to live up to it rather than someone just trying to further the franchise because IMO, that's where it is already.

nKwoel

Obliviot
Lucas Film produced Sci-Fi movie but still bad in animation and Disney has great animation ever, if both of them combined into one, hope they can produce best movie in Sci-Fi or animation.