Microsoft Announces $39.99 Upgrade Promo Pricing for Windows 8

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Microsoft has just announced its initial upgrade pricing for Windows 8, and it's sure to turn some heads. For $39.99, you'll be able to download the upgrade regardless of whether you're using Windows XP, Vista or 7. That's right - if you have an aging XP box you want to update, you'll be able to do so for a mere $39.99. It's important to note that this promotional pricing is set to end January 31, 2013.

windows_8_upgrade_070212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

madmat

Soup Nazi
If it was $3.99 I still wouldn't downgrade from 7 to 8. I'd rather go back to Vista. PC's are evolving at an alarming rate. Mine currently has more than 4 times the total computing power used in the first moon launch in 1969 yet M$, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that all the GUI eye candy needs to go... WTF? I might as well get a P2 and a TNT2 and party like it's 1999.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Because 8 offers some features I do want, mostly to do with the Explorer interface, I am super-tempted to upgrade. Prior to the release though, I'll install the preview and use it full-time for a bit to see if I can get used to that stupid menu. Ideally, someone will release a side-effect-free program at launch that will give us back our proper Start menu.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Have to agree with Rob too, there are actually useful things in Windows 8, like the fact Explorer is approaching Win XP functionality again (removing the status bar so you can see how much disk space a folder takes up, really Microsoft, what the hell were you thinking?). Task-manager redesign, showing more information so I can better diagnose the process hogging the system or thrashing the hard drive.

I know why it's putting the infuriating 'Ribbon' interface on Explorer, to make it more touch friendly. Doesn't mean I need to like it though, not that it makes a huge difference since most of my actions are right-click based.

The Metro start menu and general interface (like the hidden UI features) will take time to adjust, I'm sure of it. I still haven't gotten around to actually using it though, but we'll see. But there is a lot going for it in other areas, like multi-monitor support, various architectural improvements and the like.

The problem is, Windows 8 feels more like a paid-for upgrade than a brand new OS - once you remove Metro. Without Metro, there really isn't a whole lot going on, but I guess the same could be said for Vista and 7. The funny thing is, the upgrade price reflects this. That and they're taking another page from the big book of Apple, reaffirmed by the release of its own upcoming hardware (just so long as its tablets weren't designed by the same peeps that did the 360 when it comes to failure rates...)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't care much for the ribbon either, and we should have the option to remove it (or at least make it smaller). For the most part, I can't stand that menu in Office either, but at least there, I get the occasion where seeing a visual cue or an action is helpful.

Tharic-Nar said:
The problem is, Windows 8 feels more like a paid-for upgrade than a brand new OS - once you remove Metro.

To be honest, and stability improvements aside, 7 > 8 feels like way more of an upgrade than Vista > 7 did, and that's not including Metro. It might help that Microsoft is more vocal than ever about the new features the OS will have though.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
At least we have until "... January 31, 2013". Too much of the software I rely on only supports recent versions of Windows & IE so I have to let some of the bugs in the OS get worked out. I just discovered last week the LogMeIn handles cursor changes via IE much better than Chrome. This is for when the cursor changes from pointer to cross hair to double arrow thingy at the edge of frames.

MacMan

Partition Master
If it was $3.99 I still wouldn't downgrade from 7 to 8. I'd rather go back to Vista. PC's are evolving at an alarming rate. Mine currently has more than 4 times the total computing power used in the first moon launch in 1969 yet M$, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that all the GUI eye candy needs to go... WTF? I might as well get a P2 and a TNT2 and party like it's 1999.

I agree! Even though Windows 8 has its good points, I think that it`s much too radical for me, and I suspect that it`s the same for many others as well. Tablets seems like a better fit, but as a desktop I`ll stick to Windows 7 which, frankly, I like a lot, and the only MS OS that I`ve ever cared for Windows 8 is a downgrade if you ask me, and is a desperate ploy to keep up with iOS and Android. It might work, but I doubt it.

I might be more tempted if, like Mountain Lion, it went for $9.95 to $19.95, but at $39.99 it`s too much for too little.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I agree! Even though Windows 8 has its good points, I think that it`s much too radical for me, and I suspect that it`s the same for many others as well. Tablets seems like a better fit, but as a desktop I`ll stick to Windows 7 which, frankly, I like a lot, and the only MS OS that I`ve ever cared for Windows 8 is a downgrade if you ask me, and is a desperate ploy to keep up with iOS and Android. It might work, but I doubt it.

I might be more tempted if, like Mountain Lion, it went for $9.95 to $19.95, but at $39.99 it`s too much for too little.

Plus, as it's an upgrade, I don't want to have it kill my win 7 license which is what happens. At least it did going from Vista to 7 if you upgraded.

Yeah, buy the 8 upgrade, decide it sucks, mightily, and then have to buy another 7 license to go back to 7? Um, no.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
At least we have until "... January 31, 2013". Too much of the software I rely on only supports recent versions of Windows & IE so I have to let some of the bugs in the OS get worked out. I just discovered last week the LogMeIn handles cursor changes via IE much better than Chrome. This is for when the cursor changes from pointer to cross hair to double arrow thingy at the edge of frames.

I'd be surprised if there is much that isn't going to be supported in Windows 8 that is in 7. They're essentially the same OS at their core. It's why NVIDIA was able to release a WHQL driver for the OS long before the actual release date is even announced.

Plus, as it's an upgrade, I don't want to have it kill my win 7 license which is what happens. At least it did going from Vista to 7 if you upgraded.

Yeah, buy the 8 upgrade, decide it sucks, mightily, and then have to buy another 7 license to go back to 7? Um, no.

Could it be that the Windows Vista and 7 key simply can't be used at the same time? Did you actually call Microsoft about it? It seems like an odd choice for them to make.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'd be surprised if there is much that isn't going to be supported in Windows 8 that is in 7. They're essentially the same OS at their core. It's why NVIDIA was able to release a WHQL driver for the OS long before the actual release date is even announced.

Could it be that the Windows Vista and 7 key simply can't be used at the same time? Did you actually call Microsoft about it? It seems like an odd choice for them to make.

I didn't do an upgrade, it was something I'd read as a caveat to doing an upgrade from Vista.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I guess that's a good reason to test out the preview before committing to the purchase, then. Given we're dealing with an "upgrade" here, it doesn't surprise me that the original key is purged. The smart thing on Microsoft's part would be to allow both keys, but not allow them to be activated at the same time.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Thing is I've read that there certain things in the latest preview that aren't working or not working correctly. I don't feel like going to all the trouble to put a whole new OS on my PC if it's not ready for prime time as they say.

Plus I really dislike dual booting and trying to 86 the bootloader after I'm done. I can do it but it still sucks.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Use a VM, either VMWare or VirtualBox, load it up in that and not have the headache. Not everything will work exactly the same, but well enough to get a feel for the OS. And no, using either of the above is not complicated at all, the wizards do a reasonable job of guiding you through things.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Found the key, got it installed and put Start 8 on it. Can't say I like it. It wants to be associated with an email account, wants my phone number and I have to do a captcha screen to install it? WTF?

I'll stick with 7, thanks for playing M$, better luck next time.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The e-mail account allows the OS to be fine-tuned for you, so that a bunch of information from various sources can make it feel more at home. That's not to say that I'm really too interested in it, but the idea is alright. As far as I'm aware, you can install the OS without an e-mail account (you just need to hit skip, or at least you could in the beta).

madmat

Soup Nazi
The e-mail account allows the OS to be fine-tuned for you, so that a bunch of information from various sources can make it feel more at home. That's not to say that I'm really too interested in it, but the idea is alright. As far as I'm aware, you can install the OS without an e-mail account (you just need to hit skip, or at least you could in the beta).

I didn't see an option to skip it, just "next" and "cancel". Dunno if not filling in the info and hitting next would work as a skip or not.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Heaven forbid you enter the wrong email address when you install the damned OS. I did and could not change it when I was in the OS so I created a new user account with the correct email (my hotmail account) and when I tried logging in with it it broke the freaking machine. This is the lamest OS I've ever had the misfortune of using.