Weird Problem

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I'm having this weird issue...can't figure out what it is. About 20 to 30 minutes into playing BC2 online, out of nowhere the sound messes up (sounds like the static you get out of a speaker when you touch the cord to the socket) and the whole thing freezes, then the sound cuts out and it stays frozen until I reset my computer. I originally thought it may have been my GPU overclock...but I dropped both my GPU and CPU clocks back to stock, and it's still doing it. Then I tried reverting to an older Catalyst driver. While uninstalling the old one my computer decided to BSOD on me. The problem is still going on, and I can't figure out what it is. Any ideas?

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I've played Metro 2033 for hours on end before with no problem, so it seems to be just in BC2. That link you gave me doesn't have any free downloads. They removed the free links and it says I have to buy it. And yes I run on board sound.

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Use Driver Sweeper? http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

and re-install Catalyst

I forgot about that one. Defiantly do that in place of the other program I linked, it will do the same thing. Thanks Synesthesia for that link.

I've played Metro 2033 for hours on end before with no problem, so it seems to be just in BC2. That link you gave me doesn't have any free downloads. They removed the free links and it says I have to buy it. And yes I run on board sound.

How long has this problem been going on for then? If it's been there for a few months then I would defiantly think it is a driver issue, however if your just now experiencing this problem and you haven't tried another game try another one, hopefully this will help us narrow it down to either game or drivers.

marfig

No ROM battery
Note that Guru3D hasn't been supporting Driver Sweeper since late last year. It seems the gentleman behind the software decided it was a good idea to install adware with the setup. The gentleman behind the program has a different story to tell though. But who knows....

It was "discontinued" from Guru3D (yeah, that's the wording they used despite them not being the ones developing it). There was an exchange of words and the gentleman eventually found himself banned too. A nice web soap.

It can be found here now. Note the only thing I ever saw changing was a non intrusive Paypal button at the top right of the screen (that even blends with the application theme) for anyone wishing to donate some money to the author. It's been like that all the way to the latest version. Should I complain to some Human Rights organization? Tsk!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Thanks for the info marfig. I got that BKd and downloaded so if I run into a similar issue I will give it a run. I will defiantly consider donating too it since it does much more then just video drivers.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Thanks guys. Gonna try that and see what happens. My girlfriend's over so I won't be able to give you a result till later tonight once I take her back ;)

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Well, still having the same issue. *sigh*

I'm gonna run Prime95 for a few hours to see if there's any problems with my CPU.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
..... well.... possibly because your PSU is a hunk of junk? Basically raidmax is trolling you saying, oh yeah this is 730w. Look at the specs and you will quickly see your going to have problems if it really is 2 separate rails.

12*24=288w per rail.
Optimistically here the 2 12v rails while being rated to 576w (total) are only going to put out maybe 550w.
Your GPU alone is probably pulling 200w if not more (After looking this up it looks like it should pull about 190w OOB so if it is OCed past stock factory its pulling more).

I also know that the 955BE is not a low power CPU either so you may be overloading the PSUs rails. Not really sure if that is happening since you said Metro works fine for hours.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Yeah I'm starting to think it's my PSU also. I ran Prime95 for about 2 1/2 hours and my CPU turned up with no errors. I'm running MSI Kombustor at the moment (while typing this on my laptop) and it's been running for about 8 minutes now on X-Treme Burn-In mode and my GPU hasn't even hit 70C. It keeps fluctuating between 68C and 69C with it overclocked to 960MHz Core, 1175MHz Memory, and I'm not seeing any artifacts.

If it IS the PSU, I think I know why I can play Metro for hours and not have an issue. Metro only uses about 50% of my CPU with everything turned up. BC2 in multiplayer has a LOT more going on at once and it nearly maxes out my CPU and puts my GPU at about 60% load. I'm being freakin' bottlenecked by my CPU in BC2! T_T

Anyway...what I meant to say there is that since BC2 causes more of a load on my CPU, I think that may be why the problem is occurring. It's maxing it out with my GPU also at a 60% load and it's too much for the PSU. I'm gonna get a corsair 750W....lol

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
That looks most excellent :p hopefully that is the problem. I still have no clue how much juice I am really pulling on my TX950W Corsair, I need a killawatt or better yet the belkin version that has a desk display.

D

deadrats

it's not your ps, the most likely issue is that you're using an outdated audio driver, i'm betting you used the drivers that came with the mb, no?

uninstall the audio driver and hit the windows update site and download the latest HD audio driver; windows update will automatically discover your sound chip, Realtek ALC892 so you shouldn't have to choose.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that. Yes, I'm using the drivers that came with my motherboard, and Windows Update has already updated them several times since I got this computer. I uninstalled the driver and I'm currently downloading the HD audio driver from Realtek's website.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that. Yes, I'm using the drivers that came with my motherboard, and Windows Update has already updated them several times since I got this computer. I uninstalled the driver and I'm currently downloading the HD audio driver from Realtek's website.

I did ask that in my first post (c;

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Well that wasn't it. Same issue happened. It only happens with both my CPU and GPU are under high stress at the same time. Thus, I think it is my PSU.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That isn't the most reliable brand of power supply, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise. Did you try running Prime95 and Komustor at the same time, or only individually? If the PSU is the issue running both together will probably get the problem to surface.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Yeah I thought of trying that, but I don't wanna risk frying my computer lol. Eh what the hell. I'll give it a whirl :p

*edit*

Well it's running right now...on my laptop waiting for it to spaz out and freeze. CPU's running at 3.7GHz maxed out at only 46C, and my GPU's at 70C.

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Ran it for about 45 minutes...and nothing! NO-THING. WTF is wrong with my pc?! So now it's NOT the PSU? (I'm still buying that corsair..I'll need it for my second 6870)