10 Things Linux Does Better Than Windows

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There is no such thing as a "perfect" OS, but given that Microsoft's Windows costs a pretty penny and Linux is free, it's a little strange that the latter can do certain things far better than the former. We're taking a look at our favorite ten, which includes the partitioner, automatic logon, troubleshooting, customization and more.

You can read our full list here and discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

Links

One of the biggest things missing in Windows is usable file links. Under Linux, it's a simple "ln -s" or a couple of clicks under a graphical file manager. Windows does support some types of file links, but they're much more difficult to create and use.

U

Unregistered

Not true BSOD etc

Although I generally agree with your article I cannot concur that BSOD (non recoverable) or equivalent does not occur in Linux. I used Linux Mint 64 bit and within a 4 week period had to do 5 reinstalls. Even after extensive forum queries nobody could find the solution to blank boot screens, endless scrolling of "initrd" messages, complete lockup etc. So I installed Windows XP; 12 weeks later not a single crash no BSOD's. I agree Linux is adaptable and generally user friendly BUT it is immature and prone to crashes on a constant basis and really not ready as an everyday OS.

U

Unregistered

Partitioning

I found it amusing that one of your first items was Windows' poor partitioning tools. I recently had to re-install Win 7 on my laptop and found that while the upgrade DVD was able to perform a full install, it refused to until I formatted the drive to NTFS. While this behavior is understandable 10 years ago, it is not now. One would think that Microsoft would do ALL it could to encourage re-installation of their operating system....is saying "Your drive is not formatted NTFS, would you like me to do that now? (yes/no)" so very hard ? Using a Linux-based tool (Partition Magic) in order to put Windows 7 back on seemed pretty sad to me.

U

Unregistered

Poor command line in windows is an obsolete argument

Since powershell came (ships with Windows 7 and 2008 R2, downloadable from XP and up), you have a command line that is way more powerful than anything I ever saw on *nix systems.

The standard Console still has poor editing capabilities, but on the other hand, PowerShell ships with an Integrated Script Editor, which improves the situation somewhat. And you can debug you scripts, with breakpoints and stepping...

So before dismissing the CLI of windows, get your head wrapped around powershell.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
One of the biggest things missing in Windows is usable file links. Under Linux, it's a simple "ln -s" or a couple of clicks under a graphical file manager. Windows does support some types of file links, but they're much more difficult to create and use.

I couldn't agree more, and it's something I've mentioned to others in the past. I'm not sure if it's just the fact that I like CLI, but I find it much easier to just open up a command-line and create a symlink rather than create shortcuts in Windows. Plus, symlinks are for more than just shortcuts of course (linking system files for example).

I used Linux Mint 64 bit and within a 4 week period had to do 5 reinstalls. Even after extensive forum queries nobody could find the solution to blank boot screens, endless scrolling of "initrd" messages, complete lockup etc.

Your experience doesn't sound typical, because under no circumstance should you have to re-install so many times in such a short period of time (kudos for not giving up easily, though). It's hard to diagnose the issue from what you mention, but it sounds like Linux isn't agreeing with some piece of hardware in your machine.

I've actually had the opposite kind of experience. My Linux seems rock-stable, but in Windows (before I did my last PC overhaul), I'd get BSOD's after using Windows for a couple of hours on some occasions. Sorry you ran into such maddening issues!

One would think that Microsoft would do ALL it could to encourage re-installation of their operating system....is saying "Your drive is not formatted NTFS, would you like me to do that now? (yes/no)" so very hard ? Using a Linux-based tool (Partition Magic) in order to put Windows 7 back on seemed pretty sad to me.

It's this kind of reason that highlighted Windows' partitioner faults to me. Back when I used to use Windows full-time, I found myself suckered into using commercial partitioners, and that wasn't even because I needed a Linux FS... I just wanted partitions that fit my goals. I think you mean GParted though as the Linux partitioner... Partition Magic is a commercial offering for Windows (and a good one).

Since powershell came (ships with Windows 7 and 2008 R2, downloadable from XP and up), you have a command line that is way more powerful than anything I ever saw on *nix systems.

I gave PowerShell a test a couple of years ago and did find it to be a major improvement over the standard command-line, but I don't recall being overly impressed. Even after spending a couple of minutes with it, I didn't find it to be as jump-in-and-go as the CLI in Linux, but to be fair, a lot of new Linux users might feel the same.

PowerShell also hasn't made itself well-known outside of IT/admin environments for as long as it's existed, and Windows 7 is the first release where the tool is actually pre-installed. Linux on the other hand has a robust CLI built right into the OS, always accessible, regardless of which version you're using.

I just gave PowerShell another quick test as I wrote this, and it definitely is going to require a little studying up. I plan to do that, because who knows... I might actually begin to use it on a regular basis inside of Windows.

Anyone know the GTK / icon theme used in the GNOME screenshots in the article?

The icon set is called Buuf Duece and can be found here:

http://www.shellscape.org/buufdeuce/

Wow, who is the unregistered troll?

No trolling, this article's just picked up a lot of traction around the Web, and by coincidence no one chose a username to post under ;-)

U

Unregistered

I found it amusing that one of your first items was Windows' poor partitioning tools. I recently had to re-install Win 7 on my laptop and found that while the upgrade DVD was able to perform a full install, it refused to until I formatted the drive to NTFS. While this behavior is understandable 10 years ago, it is not now. One would think that Microsoft would do ALL it could to encourage re-installation of their operating system....is saying "Your drive is not formatted NTFS, would you like me to do that now? (yes/no)" so very hard ? Using a Linux-based tool (Partition Magic) in order to put Windows 7 back on seemed pretty sad to me.

>>> MIERDA DE TORO! <<<

U

Unregistered

>>> MIERDA DE TORO! <<<

Wrong quote!

I was refering to this:

"I agree Linux is adaptable and generally user friendly BUT it is immature and prone to crashes on a constant basis and really not ready as an everyday OS."

U

Unregistered

response to post #8, name of partition tool

I'm poster #4 - the name of the partition software I used was Parted Magic 4.5 (from Linux Pro Magazine 12/09), not Partition Magic. I was at work and was relying on memory.
I don't hate Windows, but I do think the main article was pretty spot-on. Some features missing in Windows 7 are just so easy to implement it's shocking that they are still missing.

U

Unregistered

For Windows XP, you actually have to go to the registry and find some specific string. For Windows Vista/7, you need to go to the command line and type in 'control userpasswords2'.

control userpasswords2 works in windows xp

you raise many valid points, but your windows knowledge is obviously limited

U

Unregistered

Audiovisual optimization of Linux.

This is not possible on windows.

http://www.paradoxuncreated.com/articles/Millennium/Millennium.html

Ignoring the fact that closed source is a dead end, and putting people unessecary to work on similar projects, without co-operation, without the benefit of eachothers progress, resulting in inferior solutions..

I tried setting the windows timer to max, which is 1000hz or around this value (?), with an obscure closedsource shareware application, which in turn, probably came from obscure documents. Windows (XP) was stumbling. This linux-based system "Millennium" runs at 3 times that rate, and happily.

And ofcourse reason 88..

88. If Steve Ballmer desires to make the whole OS an object for attracting gay love, you can always make fork a new distro with Linux. The alternative is not thinkable.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm poster #4 - the name of the partition software I used was Parted Magic 4.5 (from Linux Pro Magazine 12/09), not Partition Magic.

Ahh. I've never heard of Parted Magic before... will have to check it out.

you raise many valid points, but your windows knowledge is obviously limited

One small oversight makes my Windows knowledge "obviously limited"? That's absurd. If my Windows knowledge was limited in any way, an article like this simply wouldn't be written. Up until four-and-a-half years ago, I was a full-time Windows user, with some Linux usage on the side. Both OSes have since swapped places.

With Windows XP, the way I used to fixed the auto-logon problem was with the help of TweakUI. When curiosity got the best of me and I did some searching to figure out exactly what it was that TweakUI did, I stumbled on the registry fixes. I had no idea 'control userpasswords2' also worked for XP, because it never came up in my searching.

I tried setting the windows timer to max, which is 1000hz or around this value (?), with an obscure closedsource shareware application, which in turn, probably came from obscure documents. Windows (XP) was stumbling. This linux-based system "Millennium" runs at 3 times that rate, and happily.

I took a quick look through that article and am having a difficult time understanding exactly what all these tweaks are set out to accomplish, but it's interesting nonetheless. Will have to take another look later.

U

Unregistered

Ahh. I've never heard of Parted Magic before... will have to check it out.

One small oversight makes my Windows knowledge "obviously limited"? That's absurd. If my Windows knowledge was limited in any way, an article like this simply wouldn't be written. Up until four-and-a-half years ago, I was a full-time Windows user, with some Linux usage on the side. Both OSes have since swapped places.

With Windows XP, the way I used to fixed the auto-logon problem was with the help of TweakUI. When curiosity got the best of me and I did some searching to figure out exactly what it was that TweakUI did, I stumbled on the registry fixes. I had no idea 'control userpasswords2' also worked for XP, because it never came up in my searching.

I took a quick look through that article and am having a difficult time understanding exactly what all these tweaks are set out to accomplish, but it's interesting nonetheless. Will have to take another look later.

I'm a windows user and I have to say I felt his comment was accurate. The live CD issue you have brought up has been addressed as well for a long time by BartPE and WinPE. Its unfortunate because you do bring up valid points but I also did really feel like this was written by someone who is not a seasoned Windows user.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm fine with the criticism, but I'm a little unsure of how anyone has reaches their conclusions. I am a seasoned Windows user and have been using the OS since 3.0. Even today, despite using Linux full-time, I deal with Vista/7 on a near daily basis, given that the vast majority of our content requires it.

All of that aside, my point stands that for a user to take care of the auto-logon issue with Windows, they are forced to go to a search engine to figure it out. I know this to be the case because I loaded up help with both XP and 7 and typed in a few sensible queries and didn't get any useful results back. I even typed in 'control userpasswords2' verbatim and saw nothing. Again, on both GNOME and KDE, the process is made simple.

BartPE is a decent option for those looking to boot into a Windows environment, but the major difference is that this is an entirely separate download, and isn't a Microsoft-supported product. Compare this to Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, et cetera, where the single disc acts both as the Live CD and also the install disc.

U

Unregistered

Windows CLI

It seems the author of this piece hasn't noticed that the Windows CLI has a configuration page where, amongst other things, you can change the size of the window to as many characters as you like (vertically you can resize it just by dragging - I'm not sure why this isn't supported horizontally, but it can be adjusted in the settings), as well as enabling QuickEdit which allows dragging with the left mouse to copy, clicking the right mouse button to paste.

Also the CLI in all versions of Windows up to XP could go full-screen by using ALT-Enter. This was removed from Vista/7 presumably because they removed character mode support from their video drivers.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
It seems the author of this piece hasn't noticed that the Windows CLI has a configuration page where, amongst other things, you can change the size of the window to as many characters as you like (vertically you can resize it just by dragging - I'm not sure why this isn't supported horizontally, but it can be adjusted in the settings), as well as enabling QuickEdit which allows dragging with the left mouse to copy, clicking the right mouse button to paste.

Whoa, nice catch. I swore I looked through those options before, but all I could do was increase the actual font itself. Not sure how I overlooked the actual width and the like. It's unfortunate that it's not simpler than it is, though. I hate to keep comparing to Linux (despite this being the main goal of the article!), but in all desktop environments I've ever used, it's been a simple process to configure your terminal. You can stretch any corner, or go full screen, and it's not an issue.

Even with the configuration in the Windows CLI, it's hard to simply go full-screen (by full-screen, I mean maximized). You can, but you have to fiddle with the character width and figure out the sweet spot for your monitor. Not exactly convenient.

Thanks a ton for pointing this out... it's going to make things a lot easier next time I need to use the CLI tool under Windows.

U

Unregistered

Symlinks in Windows

I'd just like to point out that Windows Vista and 7 both support symlinks from the command line using the mklink command. These are not just shortcuts, but proper symlinks.

aussiebear

Obliviot
Well, I've been using Windows since version 2.0
My Linux experience has been since 2005.

...Today, I use Arch Linux more than I do Windows XP/Vista/7. (Everything I did there, I can do here.)

1 - Partitioning

Yeah, Linux distros tend to include some practical tools.

2 - Activation

It goes further...If you Activate too many times online; it'll eventually stop and tell you to phone MS. If you do that too many times, they tell you to buy a new copy!

If you look carefully, you'd be amazed of all the licensing conditions MS uses to segment different levels of markets.

You have the:

* Retail one. (Typically boxed on store shelves or online download.)

* OEM one for consumers who've bought pre-built systems from local PC shops.

* Royalty OEM. (For Dell, Toshiba, etc...That does NOT need Activation.)

* Technet Subscriptions: This is for IT professionals...Evaluate MS solutions for support/deployment/self-learning roles, etc. They allow you to "evaluate" the software at home. You cannot use it in a business or for development purposes.

* MSDN Subscriptions: This is for Developers. ie: Design, develop, and testing of your hardware/software.

* MSDN Academic Alliance: This is for where your faculty pays a subscription so you may access software for "teaching purposes".

* Dream Spark: This is to give students (high school and university) free development tools. BUT "you must use them in pursuit of increasing your education, skills, and knowledge in either science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or design."

* Client Access Licenses: This is for when you use Windows Server versions. Depending how many client systems you want accessing certain server services. The more people in your network served by a Windows Server box, the more you need to pay!

Of course, one is also restricted in how many different machines you can install with a single Windows install CD/DVD. (As well as how many "instances" of Windows you can use in a virtualization scenario.)

On Linux?
Install on as many systems as you want...For whatever purpose you want. It doesn't matter if its physical or virtual.

This is especially important as businesses need to keep track of all the MS licenses being used. IF there is an "inconsistency" (ie: The number of licenses you've purchased does NOT match the number of systems you have); Expect the Business Software Alliance (BSA) to come after you...BSA is the software equivalent of the RIAA/MPAA. (They "protect the rights" of their corporate clients.)

I had a friend who lost his entire business because of one dishonest IT guy. (Like the RIAA/MPAA; the BSA sets out to "make an example" of someone in order to spread fear into others.)

I helped him rebuilt his company back with Linux (CentOS) and other open source solutions...The money he saved from software licensing costs, and security subscriptions like AV; are now being used to employ two on-site, experienced CentOS/RedHat people. We established a proper computing policy for his business, and let his employees know what they can and cannot use computers for...These last few months have been really profitable for him, as the downtime is greatly lowered.

3 - Customization

Customization and Modularity go hand in hand.

Typically with Windows, you cannot install a base OS and build a system to meet your needs exactly without some third-party tweaking tool. You have to tolerate all sorts of stuff being installed that you didn't ask for!

Only Windows Server 2008 has a base install option called "Server Core". (This is Microsoft's attempt to emulate Linux in the server market...But its not in other versions of Windows available to the consumer.)

Linux is like clay in this area. Shape it to whatever you need it for. It doesn't matter if its a small portable device; to a high performance computing cluster used to simulate nuclear explosions, blackhole research, render another award winning Pixar film (via RenderMan on Linux), or even simulate the Global Climate!

4 - Automatic User Logon

Agreed. Linux is straightforward in this category.

5 - Troubleshooting

I personally find Linux far superior in this regard. They have free tools for whatever you need. From data recovery to forensic and "security research" (hacking) work.

The best part about asking questions in a forum with experienced Linux users is that you get a straight and clear solution or answer to your problem.

As well, one cannot deny that Linux encourages one's development of computing and problem solving skills. You learn a lot in Linux about what is good practice and what is not. (eg: In Windows world, its perfectly acceptable to use Administrator privileges as its convenient. In Linux world, using root on a full time basis is looked down upon.)

In Windows, troubleshooting is an exercise of frustration. (With time wasted on messing around driver versions and registry hacks.)

In Linux, troubleshooting is just an exercise. Encounter the problem; find a solution/workaround; apply it...Back to using the computer.

6 - No-Nonsense OS Updates

This is where Linux really whips Windows. On the maintenance front.

As long as you install everything via the package manager; you can keep the system updated with a single command. (Or a few mouse clicks via the GUI approach).

You cannot do that with Windows. Windows/Office Updates only covers certain things that Microsoft provide and support for. They do nothing with third-party extensions or applications you've installed onto your system.

Its up to you to make sure they're up to date. Sure, you can download and install a program that tracks all the versions of software on your system. But it runs in the background, causing notable performance hit on your system.

Over time, I find Windows like a woman I once dated...Constantly needs attention for no reason. (And yes, MS Patch Tuesday is coming next week!)

7 - Easy Installation of Common Applications

Can't comment here, I don't use the Ubuntu Software Centre. I'm more inclined with the Synaptic Package Manager or apt-get.

8 - Interoperability

Agree with you. Despite chanting about "Interoperability"; Microsoft is only "interoperating" in a limited fashion or in certain areas. There's no big push for it as a whole; because some folks in Microsoft want to keep an edge over the competition. (Well, until an Anti-Trust lawsuit is thrown in their faces!)

The clearest example is their OOXML documentation spec.

Despite pushing this through ISO via questionable means; they still have not implement the full spec in ANY of their products!

There's two versions of the spec:

(1) "Transitional"; which is partly in Office 2007, and will be in Office 2010.

and

(2) "Strict"; which is in NONE of their products! (An MS rep says that they will implement it in Office 2010's successor.)

What's the point of having a standard that no one implements?...And that's the point! Having an "open standard" for electronic documents allows Microsoft to satisfy a "tick box" for those Govt departments who have mandated the use of open electronic formats.

In the real world, NOTHING has changed. You still need MS Office to view documents with 100% fidelity.

I gave up on MS Office and switched to OpenOffice on all Windows and Linux systems I'm responsible for.

9 - Command-Line

While most people fear it; I find its the least nonsensical approach to interacting with a computer. Its Yes or No. Its direct and clear...And unlike PowerShell, it isn't attached to a whole bloody framework! (.Net)

10 - Performance & Stability

I notice this area under two specific scenarios:

(a) Engineering apps where they eat RAM for breakfast. (Like using Ansys's FEA to analyze the stresses of a gun. Or using CFD to simulate flow over an aircraft design.)

Under a Windows machine? The mouse becomes unresponsive and looks like the system has crashed/locked-up.

Under a Linux machine? Its still responsive! I can move the mouse, etc.

(b) Networking.

Under Windows? Windows only allows the use of one gateway at a time. Which means it offers load balancing among multiple network cards (wired/wireless)...Why not offer true network bonding as we see more and more dual LAN capable mobos?

Under Linux? I can set it such that I use wireless for browsing, while P2P or online gaming on the wired network...Both running at their full speeds.

Now, my own additional points...

11 - Software Piracy...A non-issue for Linux.

Software piracy doesn't exist in Linux because the whole point is to share! (legally)...The sharing of useful apps.

In the Windows world? Software piracy is rampant as hell!

It only takes a few minutes to find forums and websites dedicated to circumventing Microsoft's Activation and Genuine Advantage implementations that will last forever! (Not to mention CD-keys, serials, keygens, etc to work around third-party applications.)

Then we have commercial games...

We're up to the point of draconian anti-piracy measures: where you are literally tethered to a game server; just to play the single-player campaign! (See Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight)...Are you kidding me?! How is this tolerable?!

Granted, commercial games on Linux are quite limited. And some open source ones aren't up to the same quality (what do you expect from volunteer coders without a multi-million dollar budget?); But at least there's no DRM being installed on my system!

I actually like playing games like: LinCity-NG, Freeciv, Nexuiz, Warzone 2100, UFO: Alien Invasion, FlightGear, Unknown Horizons, Vega Strike, etc.

12 - More value as time goes on.

It doesn't take a genius to see that with time; Linux will offer more for nothing...As a business, how do you compete with someone who doesn't follow the traditional software business model? ie: You put a price on a copy of software. They put theirs at zero! How long do you think marketing can spin things as the Linux side matures?

There's only so much consumers will tolerate if they hear about alternatives that are free, potentially unlimited (unlimited installs, etc.); and meets their needs...All it takes is a video on Youtube to show them how to do things.

...And MS's marketing dept will have its hands full in spending lots of money on trying to encourage people to stay. (They have a multi-billion dollar, world wide marketing budget! And they aren't afraid to spend it!)

13 - Natural competition and diversity.

By sharing code, we have lots of interpretations of what something should be; based on purpose.

Backtrack is an excellent distro for hacking/testing security.
Linux Mint, Ubuntu, etc have desktops covered.
Gentoo/Arch Linux has enthusiasts.
While RedHat, CentOS, Debian, etc occupy the server/workstation/supercomputing area.

Another resultant of sharing code is the natural competition it breeds. As everyone is starting from the same playing field; we compete on the merits on the different ways we can approach the same problem. Its up to the people to decide what sucks and what is awesome. (Which benefits the users!)