10 Things Linux Does Better Than Windows

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Huh. deadrats writes this...

rob has an ego where he takes any criticism or comment disagreeing with him personally and feels the need to respond (and i respect that) and thus here we are.

and this...

i read it, went to the comments section and saw "kayden's" comment and since it has a recent date assumed that it was a recent article, and thus added my 200 hundred dollars worth (my comments were worth more than the typical 2 cents).

Sounds to me like you're the one with the ego here, buddy. Rob never once stated things as fact. He stated things he feels that linux does better than Windows. You're going around stating things like your word is law written in stone and nobody can change that, and if they try to you act like they're uneducated and stupid. He also never took anything personally. He's just trying to get it through people's heads that these are things that HE feels linux does better than windows, not facts that Linus himself has boasted about his kernel.

Personally I'm sick and tired of trolls like you just looking for a fight. There's stating your opinion, but you've taken it to the next level (or really, the lower level of a troll) by coming on here and just slamming Rob for something he posted that was his opinion, which was not hostile towards anyone, unlike yours.

D

deadrats

You say you have several Unix certifications from Pace University (and btw, of those you mentioned only one is actually Unix) and you don't even know that Unix is not Linux and Linux is not Unix? All those certifications and they didn't teach you the meaning on "Unix-like"? All that experience and you have yet to realize that liking Linux is not liking Unix?

i didn't say i have several certifications; i said i got certified as a unix sys admin at pace and said class was taught using sco, suse, redhat and bsd.

now if you really want to split hairs, Linux is not Unix which in turn is not UNIX but in reality it's the same shit, just different day.

as an example, for years i studied martial arts and i had numerous different instructors from different disciplines and perhaps the most practical of them was my judo/jiu-jitsu who says to me one day "know what the difference between this style of karate and that style of karate is?" "one day some guy decided that instead of starting a punch from here and throwing it this way i'm going to start it from there and throw it that way".

Maybe you should go check those credentials again. Either Pace University sucks, or you haven't been paying attention and you only think you got those certificates. I'm sorry for being so blunt, but you did start the "poser" thing; now didn't you? And the things you say and your so-called credentials (that no one asked for, btw)... they just don't match. Your appeal to authority attempt was as such one big fail! Which does bring us back to posers...

pace does suck and so does anyone that ever went there, but in all fairness i'm willing to bet my certification is better than the certification you don't have.:cool:

The things you said in just two posts on this thread have basically ruined any chance of anyone giving a damn about what you have to say or not on this or any other matter. You are just a nuisance now I'm hoping it disappears if I scratch enough.

Just buckle up and take a few days off. Chances are when you get back this will all be forgotten and you will have a second chance at being taken seriously. But as it is right now... naaah.

oh no; i'm not going to be taken seriously? really? now what am i going to do?:rolleyes:

marfig

No ROM battery
Therefore my point is has always been that 3rd party apps do some of the same things in Win but because they aren't free you dismiss them because it didn't come with the OS out of the box. That isn't fair because there is no other way to change what or how Win operates, with it being a closed model.

There's some truth to this indeed. And you've used this argument a few times. But let's face it, it took Microsoft almost 3 decades to finally present users with an anti-virus and 25 years to give them a firewall worth being called by that name. And more or less the same time to gives users encryption tools. Similarly Windows to this day still lacks many comprehensive system tools (we are still required to download a 3rd party process viewer if we want to have any meaningful information about processes and opened files on our machines). The thing is that Microsoft hasn't been exactly gracious in giving users elementary maintenance and security tools that should have been part of the OS no matter what. No matter the encouragement for commodification of the Windows application landscape -- a process I fully support, mind you. But that shouldn't excuse Microsoft from providing its users with primary OS tools.

On the issue of interconnectivity between Microsoft and Linux... here I'm a bit more cautious and tend to side with Microsoft, which has been (rightfully i'm afraid, but see below) accused of not being open to 3rd party standards. One example was given by Rob; the constant refusal to read, or even understand, any filesystem but their own.

The problem however, I think, is a bit more complex.

Microsoft OS development cycles are nothing like those with the Linux kernel. The OS also goes through a maintenance-only period between release cycles, in which rarely new features are added. So between Windows 7 and Windows 8 there will usually only be bug fixing, with service packs being the only ones with any hopes of introducing new features or behavior.

Now, Microsoft has to ensure Windows remains dependable. This is one of the most important aspects of the operating system, because it's a core concept for business adoption. If Linux tomorrow made a change to ext4, it could break Windows behavior if ext4 support was one of its features. Certainly we shouldn't expect ext4 to change, and especially to change in a way that affects backwards compatibility. But these things need to be accounted for and the risks associated weighted with the potential benefits on a system such as Windows. The thing is that, either an hotfix would have to be released very rapidly, forcing Microsoft to follow 3rd party developments on those areas they support (something no company wants to do. It can become a maintenance nightmare, especially if you are following an operating system like Linux that can change overnight), or users would have to wait, all the while with Windows broke support for ext4. Microsoft cannot afford this. Note that this could also be a means to mount an attack on Microsoft, if it suddenly became dependant on 3rd party developments. There's too much at stake. So here I do understand why Microsoft isn't a company much open to supporting 3rd party standards.

Last edited:
D

deadrats

Sounds to me like you're the one with the ego here, buddy.

i do have an ego but i also have a hemorrhoid (only one, couldn't afford the rest of them) but that's the way life is.

and don't call me "buddy", pal.

Personally I'm sick and tired of trolls like you just looking for a fight.

i Godd*m agree with you 100%, those filthy bast*rd trolls, coming into this forum and commenting on an article and distracting us from all the other 3 or 4 comments made in response to these articles.

seriously, i like this site, i think there's some good articles here but i have to wonder how many people are actually reading the content, because judging by the low number of comments i would think that rob is preaching to the wind.

perhaps he should be glad that at least someone is reading his stuff and is willing to talk to him about it.

but i'm with you on all that troll talk and whatever else you said (i kind of zoned out), we don't need that shit here, not in this forum, we need to keep the comments to articles to a minimum, say less than 5 comments per, so that we don't crash the server running that fabulous free OS.

ROTFLMAO, seriously dude, grow up.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Following your line of logic, we can call you buddy whenever we please. You could've easily made your points without pissing people off. But pissing people off was your intention. So keep it coming, Buddy Old Pal.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Good riddance, if I may say so. Trying to debate with a troll is just pointless to the extreme, figured it wouldn't take long before he couldn't keep his mouth in check.

As far as linux goes... the recent builds of Linux have come a long ways from five years ago. That an average person can now use linux and get internet access, full multimedia support, and office / productivity software working with just a few clicks of the mouse is a good thing, no command line or library compiling needed. I'd also think the number of distros are a strength as they give a wider variety of choices, but that anyone can download and compile the linux kernel to create a "distro" that meets their own preferences means it can be customized to the extreme.

Even I can use Linux now, I wouldn't call it half baked. Everything worked out of the box, and what didn't automatically would give the user the needed dialogs to poll the download library for the right bits to make it work. That's a far cry from when I tried it before. I use Windows for its convenience, and because after using it for a decade my familiarity with it makes it easier to use. If more of my programs were cross-platform compatible though I'd have a reason to use Linux more often than just for the odd program or two.