PCI x1 and X4

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'm still wondering why the MoBo manufact. are making boards with things that are of little use, like the PCI array on the boards.
PCI x1
PCI X4
and so little, just PCI slots

If I could, I'd make my own MoBo....lol

Merlin

madmat

Soup Nazi
I hear you man. My mobo has one (1!) PCI slot that's usable when you have an SLI setup with dual slot cooling. It's nuts!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No clue... he's been AFK for the past month. I've shot off a few e-mails but have had no response. I know he had some weird living situation problems a few months ago, so that might have something to do with it.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm still wondering why the MoBo manufact. are making boards with things that are of little use, like the PCI array on the boards.
PCI x1
PCI X4
and so little, just PCI slots

If I could, I'd make my own MoBo....lol

Merlin

There's few new sound cards out that support PCI-e 1x, that's about it as far I know. Don't know of any 4x cards, but some crossfire boards use 16x size slot as a 4x for crossfire on the older Intel chipset boards, not the best solution, but it works to a point.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
There are some networking and sound cards that support x1... More than a few RAID cards use x1, x4, and x8 depending on the scale of the array.

There are PCIe x1 graphics cards out now as well, can even find a few at Newegg although they change branding regularly.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I just read in the morning news that Asus is adding another new sound card that uses the PCI-e 1x slot, that makes like 3 just from them I think.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
LOL.......everyone just seems to want to chit chat a bit more these days ..........:)

I wonder how that happened...........;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, what the heck did happen? The forums have been rather <strike>dead</strike> unlively for the most part for quite a while, but lately they've been so busy, I almost can't keep up!

(which is the best thing ever, ftr)

Relayer

E.M.I.
Yeah, what the heck did happen? The forums have been rather <strike>dead</strike> unlively for the most part for quite a while, but lately they've been so busy, I almost can't keep up!

(which is the best thing ever, ftr)

Well, I'm new and can speak for what brought me here (So, I'd have something to do with recent "liveliness".). It started with the hardware reviews. They are very well written and thorough. Then when I checked out the forum the conversation was intelligent (to a point ;)) and, most of all, mature. Not a bunch of fan boyish, my computer's better than yours, oneupmanship. I read a few comp boards but this is the only one that I've joined. Funny though, because you can actually post without registering.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Here pretty soon you shouldn't really need any old style PCI slots as PCI-e cards for most apps are now making their way onto the market.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I'm new and can speak for what brought me here (So, I'd have something to do with recent "liveliness".). It started with the hardware reviews. They are very well written and thorough. Then when I checked out the forum the conversation was intelligent (to a point ;)) and, most of all, mature. Not a bunch of fan boyish, my computer's better than yours, oneupmanship. I read a few comp boards but this is the only one that I've joined. Funny though, because you can actually post without registering.

Thanks for the nice comments, and it's great to have more people around who understand what the forums are for and why we have them (it's definitely not for arguing!).

I have to say also, it's extremely cool that we've had people from all over the world here lately... Australia, New Zealand and Syria... for having a modest forum, we really do seem to span the globe, haha.

Here pretty soon you shouldn't really need any old style PCI slots as PCI-e cards for most apps are now making their way onto the market.

They should have been a LONG time ago. In spring 2005 I bought an AMD S939 board that had PCI-E 1x and 4x slots... and only once since then, I've had the need for one (ASUS Xonar D2X). It just amazes me that these slots have been around for years, yet it seems the only people who've used them are either running gigabit networks or expensive RAID arrays.

Where enthusiast motherboards are concerned, I am sure we'd see staggering polling regarding who uses those slots and who don't. I bet only 0.5% of people who own a motherboard with those slots have used them. I say this only because I don't know of anyone else who've ever had to use them either, so I might be a bit off.

archimedes

Obliviot
Whats crackin- i'm building my first system and i need some help. first off, i'm wondering if OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1150 is compatible with the 780i board. second, is there a huge performance increase having the 790i running PC3 (& is it worth the $$$)? lastly, is it possible to do tri-sli with the 9600GT (& would that be better than running two 8800 GTS 512MB)? thanx... oh yeah... & what about the Q6600 vs E8400???

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
First off, welcome to the forums.......;)

Second, it'd be better for everyone if you were to start your own thread about your build so us old farts can keep this straight and less confusing for everyone.

Maybe a moderator can move it for you......:)

Right now DDR3 is still really expensive for what little performance gain that you get out of it. But the price is dropping fairly quick, so depending on when you plan your build, DDR2 might be the better pick.

I'm not sure if the 9600GT cards can run triple SLi or not, someone else will be able to answer that one I'm sure.