Logitech MX Revolution Laser Mouse

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the link to the 3.1 software. I notice from the file name that it is a release candidate, so they'll probably be updating there website very soon. It is weird that v3.01 is 42 MB and 3.1 is 133 MB. Anyway, great review!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"It is weird that v3.01 is 42 MB and 3.1 is 133 MB"

Yes... I thought the same thing. Didn't look into why though... maybe because the full CD has more stuff on it, I am not sure.

That software will make some of the functions actually function properly though. Enjoy :)

dnatek

Obliviot
"That software will make some of the functions actually function properly though"

Great, with 3.01 and IE7 RC1, nothing happened when I pushed the search button.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's odd... that may be an RC1 issue, not the software. However, with 3.01 and the search button, I found that it would search for the same thing twice. 3.1 fixed that problem though.

U

Unregistered

The MX Revolution is it's successor, so it's quite simply, an MX1000 amped up
scroll wheel is best of it's class

Your article is approaching THREE THOUSAND WORDS and is littered with schoolboy errors which make it flow like a stuck zipper.

And come on, it's a mouse. A product that is fundamentally, inescapably, the same as every other table-bound pointing device out there. Just because those clever Swiss bastards at Logitech have ejaculated two dozen stupid new 'features' doesn't mean it's worth the stupid price they're asking...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree, it's an expensive mouse. Especially the notebook version at $80, which in no way is justified.

However, the mouse -is- the best around in its class, so I don't see reason to bash it because of it's price. The MX1000 was expensive when it was released also, but this one is far superior.

Z

zeflash

About the MX610 for left-handed ... I bought one, tried to use it for 2 months ... and it went back in the closet, the MX1000 out again.

Main reason: the wireless transmission SUCKS BIG TIME. I've *never* been able to have a smooth moving cursor with that mouse.
Why the hell are they using 2.4 Ghz as the link frequency? I have wifi, I have the Sonos music device which also uses the same wifi frequency, lying below my desk.
Basically, when the mouse wireless USB dongle was plugged in the UC, which is on the ground, I would have movement hickups pretty much every 1/2 seconds. Mouse stops, then catches up, the stops again.
When I plugged the dongle in my Monitor USB hub (less than 40 cm away from the mouse), it works slightly better: hickups every 2 seconds.
Out of sheer frustration & after completely useless mail exchanges with their support, I put the Sonos device away - and the mouse worked better, but I still had random mouse freezes once in a while. Averaging 1 per minute.
Now the MX1000 is back, the cursor moves smoothly, and I'm back having palm aches. 60 Euros spent for pure frustration.

So, yeepee for one lefty mouse. Granted, it's very comfortable. But PLEASE make the wireless link stable. The MX1000 works fine. The Dinovo bluetooth link works fine. The MX610 one sucks.

I'm very concerned about the fact the revolution also uses a USB dongle now. Is it using the same communication method? In that case I'm bound to have the same problems.

My message to Logitech:
I call this lack of left-handed devices discrimination. As soon as you go away from the ambidextrous designs, you are BOUND to make the same devices for left-handed users.
I understand that the market is much smaller. I understand it costs more to manufacture smaller amounts (although the electronics are pretty much the same). So make up the difference in the final price. But just don't ignore left-handed people.

I asked a Microsoft support guy once about the fact they made right-handed joysticks that couldn't be used by left-handed.
His answer: "Use it with your right hand, you'll find out it's pretty comfortable".
no comments.

Rant over.

G

George.P

Hi, thanks for the great review Rob,

I have a little question to you, compared to MX1000, which mouse is bigger? is MX Revolution longer than MX1000?

Also when you hold the mouse, MX1000 for example you can "palm" it very nicely and even when you lift it up, there is a very little chance of you dropping it, MX610 on the other hand you can't palm well and if you really don't grip it good, you might drop it while repositioning on the mouse pad, how is MX revolution in that aspect?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't have the MX1000 right in front of me as my mom stole it, but I believe they both have the same overall length. The MX Revolution is more of a pleasure to hold though... it's not as bulky like the MX1000.

As for the "palm"... it would be much more like the MX1000 than the MX610 for sure.

I love the MX Revolution, I can say that much. Even after using it for over a month... I enjoy it like the day I first got ahold of it. Logitech has a winner with this one in my opinion.

I hope they come out with a gaming version soon enough.

G

George.P

Thanks Rob!

They probably will release a G version of it, or maybe they'll first release a G version of MX1000?

Personally I hope if they are releasing a G version of a mouse it'll be MX310 :D I love it.

U

Unregistered

If you are playing games STAY AWAY FROM IT

I am a owner of the Revolution MX and i have to say that these mouse has some drawbacks concerning games

1) It's Heavy for a gamer

2) The new wheel is causing problems with games
you have to disable or edit with a profile to make the middle mouse work normally in games becoming a pain in the butt

3) THE WORSE IS THAT IT HAS LAGS in some games
I was playing Company of Heroes these day and during game the cursor was laging :( :( :( :(
(i am using Setpoint 3.10 )

For now i am back to my previous Logitech G7 which everything plays fine :(
and i do not know what to do with my expensive MX Revolution

It's definitely NOT a good choice for games

i will say it again
IF YOU ARE PLAYING GAMES STAY AWAY FROM IT !!!

U

Unregistered

If you had to compare the MX1000, MX518 and the new MX Revolution, what would you recommend?

I play World of Warcraft mostly, I know it's not exactly an FPS but I am a control freak. I hate it when things lag, especially my mouse.

I recommend you the MX518 or
buying a G5\ G7

Read my above post
Stay away from the MX Revolution if you are a gamer

madmat

Soup Nazi
About the MX610 for left-handed ... I bought one, tried to use it for 2 months ... and it went back in the closet, the MX1000 out again.

Main reason: the wireless transmission SUCKS BIG TIME. I've *never* been able to have a smooth moving cursor with that mouse.
Why the hell are they using 2.4 Ghz as the link frequency? I have wifi, I have the Sonos music device which also uses the same wifi frequency, lying below my desk.
Basically, when the mouse wireless USB dongle was plugged in the UC, which is on the ground, I would have movement hickups pretty much every 1/2 seconds. Mouse stops, then catches up, the stops again.
When I plugged the dongle in my Monitor USB hub (less than 40 cm away from the mouse), it works slightly better: hickups every 2 seconds.
Out of sheer frustration & after completely useless mail exchanges with their support, I put the Sonos device away - and the mouse worked better, but I still had random mouse freezes once in a while. Averaging 1 per minute.
Now the MX1000 is back, the cursor moves smoothly, and I'm back having palm aches. 60 Euros spent for pure frustration.

So, yeepee for one lefty mouse. Granted, it's very comfortable. But PLEASE make the wireless link stable. The MX1000 works fine. The Dinovo bluetooth link works fine. The MX610 one sucks.

I'm very concerned about the fact the revolution also uses a USB dongle now. Is it using the same communication method? In that case I'm bound to have the same problems.

My message to Logitech:
I call this lack of left-handed devices discrimination. As soon as you go away from the ambidextrous designs, you are BOUND to make the same devices for left-handed users.
I understand that the market is much smaller. I understand it costs more to manufacture smaller amounts (although the electronics are pretty much the same). So make up the difference in the final price. But just don't ignore left-handed people.

I asked a Microsoft support guy once about the fact they made right-handed joysticks that couldn't be used by left-handed.
His answer: "Use it with your right hand, you'll find out it's pretty comfortable".
no comments.

Rant over.

Sorry I missed this earlier. Did you happen to contact Logitech about your issues? I've got the dongle for my 610 in a hub literally next to my wireless 802.11G dongle and I'm able to use the mouse from close to 15' away with no real trouble. There's a bit of hitching but with the distance and the fact that there's 2 walls between the mouse and the receiver in the line of sight I think it's doing great. When the mouse is on my desktop the only issue I have is like I said in the review, the mouse goes to sleep after a couple of minutes but that's just endemic to this mouse.

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems, if I might make a suggestion though, maybe changing channels with your router might clear things up. It's worth a shot at least.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
IF YOU ARE PLAYING GAMES STAY AWAY FROM IT !!!

I say it's your fault for purchasing it... because nobody has said it's designed for games. Logitech doesn't claim so, no reviews have claimed so. If there are reviews who claimed so, they should get a kick in the ass.

Depends on the games though... I've used it in Nexuiz and UT2004... and it's not THAT horrible. The MX518 still beats it's pants off though.

U

Unregistered

No Replaceable Battery

Previously I have owned a number of Logitech rechargeable mice such as the MX 900. I ordered after looking at it on their website. It never occurred to me that it will not have a replaceable rechargeable battery.

When I opened the box and inspected the mouse in detail I came to know that it is something of a disposable item because once the battery dies down you do not have an option to replace it, you simply will have to go for a new mouse. Now for a mouse costing $ 100 the thought that this will be just a piece of junk in a few years time does not click with me.

Anyone any idea what kind of like I can expect for the battery in the MX Revolution. I kind of use the mouse moderately say 4 hours a day.

Thanks and Regards

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I believe I was quoted on the mouse life being around 4 days. So for 4 hours a day you should expect a week to a week and a half I guess.

I am in the habit of charging my mouse each night before bed, just for the sake of it though.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Rob for the very quick answer. But what I am asking is what kind of life can I expect from my battery before it totally dies out, meaning it can no longer retain its charge. Under such circumstances normally the battery would need replacement but since in case of the MX Revolution the battery is not replaceable it would mean end of useful life for the MX Revolution.

Would love to hear your thoughts and regards

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Thanks Rob for the very quick answer. But what I am asking is what kind of life can I expect from my battery before it totally dies out, meaning it can no longer retain its charge.

The life-span of a rechargeable battery varies with each application, and use. Logitech has not released the information regarding the life-span of their Revolution batteries. It's not listed on the website or product box. I looked up some information on Lithion-Ion batteries, the type used in the mouse.

Wikipedia-Lithium ion battery said:
A unique drawback of the Li-ion battery is that its life span is dependent upon aging from time of manufacturing (shelf life) regardless of whether it was charged, and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. So an older battery will not last as long as a new battery due solely to its age, unlike other batteries. This drawback is not widely publicized.<sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that is full most of the time at 25 degrees Celsius or 77 degrees Fahrenheit, will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. However, a battery stored inside a poorly ventilated laptop may be subject to a prolonged exposure to much higher temperatures than 25 °C, which will significantly shorten its life. The capacity loss begins from the time the battery was manufactured, and occurs even when the battery is unused.

So, by a standard of 20% total charge loss per year, you can expect an average of 5 years before the battery completely stops holding a charge. This will vary depending on the usage, storage, and charge of the battery. I would say that's fairly nice.

U

Unregistered

I say it's your fault for purchasing it... because nobody has said it's designed for games. Logitech doesn't claim so, no reviews have claimed so. If there are reviews who claimed so, they should get a kick in the ass.

Depends on the games though... I've used it in Nexuiz and UT2004... and it's not THAT horrible. The MX518 still beats it's pants off though.

SInce when does a mouse hav eto be specifically designed for playing games? Why treat a user with problems like shiat? Dick.