Zotac GeForce GTX 285 & GTX 295

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When NVIDIA released their GTX 285 and 295 earlier this month, they successfully reclaimed the performance crown for both single and dual-GPU graphics cards. We're finally putting both of these models through our gruelling testing, in both single card and SLI configurations, to see just how much value can be had when compared to previous offerings.

You can read our full article on NVIDIA's latest offerings here and discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Very nice review! heey, i'll buy the GTX295 *drools* for my 19" LCD! hehe! that would be fun lol!? anyways, i have to do some serious thinking in how to spend my $500 PC savings, after this review, the GTX295 seems like a 1 time loong time investment.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This goes to show the skill that the NVIDIA driver team brings to the table. Dual GPU cards have always been a iffy area as far as performance is concerned but its good to see that you didn't experience and show stopping issues with driver support for the 295.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Doomsday, if you pick up the GTX 295, you'd really just be tossing money out the window. As I mentioned on the final page, that card is designed for those who own 30" monitors, and even 24" monitor users aren't going to get their full money's worth... so certainly, the power of that card won't be remotely tapped on a 19".

If you have $500 kicking around and don't know how to spend it, the best upgrade you could make is a 24" monitor. You'll be able to experience your PC in a gorgeous 1920x1200 resolution (not to mention the games), and given the performance of the 9600 GT, you shouldn't have too much issue running pretty-well any game out there at the max resolution.

Can't fit a 24" on your desk? Use the remainder of the money after buying the 24" to buy a new desk :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams

Can't fit a 24" on your desk? Use the remainder of the money after buying the 24" to buy a new desk :D

lol! now why didnot i think of that!!! damn i'm stoopid. hehe! well, the hunt begins.
thnx Rob.

Edit: well wot do u know, there r no 24" LCDs available here. max is 28" which is waay too much out of my range$$$. Best bet is 22"(1680*1050) now! will 22" be worth it going from 19 to 22?!?

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If your just looking to spend some money, the additional pixel space will be nice but I don't think that it will be that big of a difference, especially since your 19 is already a widescreen.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree. I wouldn't be too concerned with going from 1440x900 to 1680x1050. I'd just hold out and wait for a 24" to arrive and then consider it. I'm surprised it jumps from 22" to 28" though, with nothing in between... that makes things awful difficult.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I agree. I wouldn't be too concerned with going from 1440x900 to 1680x1050. I'd just hold out and wait for a 24" to arrive and then consider it. I'm surprised it jumps from 22" to 28" though, with nothing in between... that makes things awful difficult.

the jump from 22" to 28" had me laughing when i found out. :eek:
well thats PAK, weird n funny! :D

well i'll save the money for a 24" LCD if it arrives. Or save the $$ till my 9600GT is not able to handle new games at max.

Last edited:
M

mechh69

22 inch 120hz refresh rate with 3d glasses

which card or cards do you think would best be sutied for that setup?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For 22", you're likely going to be running 1680x1050, correct? If so, the GTX 275 should suit you just fine. No need to go higher if 1680x is all that's going to be run, even in the 3D mode.

M

mechh69

22" Monitor and 3D

For 22", you're likely going to be running 1680x1050, correct? If so, the GTX 275 should suit you just fine. No need to go higher if 1680x is all that's going to be run, even in the 3D mode.

So is there going to be any advantage for me to do SLI either 2x 260GTX or should I stick with just one card for now?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You'd see a nice gain in performance, but at that resolution its going to be like going from 100 frames to 200 frames... I'd suggest just sticking to one card unless there is a particular game you can't play maxed out on just one.

M

mechh69

3D monitor

You'd see a nice gain in performance, but at that resolution its going to be like going from 100 frames to 200 frames... I'd suggest just sticking to one card unless there is a particular game you can't play maxed out on just one.

Is it worth the extra money to buy the 275GTX compared to the 260GTX Black edition?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Is it worth the extra money to buy the 275GTX compared to the 260GTX Black edition?

What's the price difference? I saw Frys selling an EVGA GTX 275 for $155 today... if its the older model 260 (not the Core 216) then it is worth considering if its not much more.