Zalman 9500AT Intel 775 CPU Cooler

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Looking for the ultimate air cooling solution for your Intel 775? The Zalman 9500AT may be up your alley, but may prove a little pricey for your liking. Installation proved a little problematic, but the cooling ability is evident.

After reading my review here, feel free to discuss it here!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I can see trying to sell to the Intel market with this cooler, but it doesn't make much sense. It's the same cooler as the 9500 LED, just without the LED. The installation bracket that caused you so much hassle isn't included in the LED version. So I don't know that it would make a difference.

Zalman is at the top of it's game in the air cooling, but they need to look at joining the water cooling market. Cpu's are getting to the point where water cooling will be a must in the near future. Mac is even including it in their dual processor G5, if I remember correctly.

The LED version was a sinch to install and I don't know if you noticed. There's a couple different notches on the top of the aluminium where you can angle the fan, albeit slightly, to direct airflow.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Zalman is in the water cooling business. They hvae the passively cooled reserator. Not a bad setup as its almost silent but it doesnt cool as one would expect from a water kit.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I can understand swapping out the fan for the Intel (since it's 4 pin rather than 3) but I don't see why they couldn't do a 4 pin LED fan so the Intel boys could have some bling like everyone else.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madmat said:
I can understand swapping out the fan for the Intel (since it's 4 pin rather than 3) but I don't see why they couldn't do a 4 pin LED fan so the Intel boys could have some bling like everyone else.

I believe the original goal here, was to create a special Intel-only cooler that proved to be -cheaper- than the LED version. It's no secret.. the 9500AT is -identical- to the 9500 LED. The only difference is the fan speed, which is a mere 50RPM difference.

They didn't include an LED on this cooler, because that would make this a 9500 LED, plain and simple. They planned for it to be cheaper because the cooler only includes an Intel bracket, instead of 3 brackets (939/478/775).

Sadly, it doesn't prove any cheaper really than the LED version. For the extra buck, I would definitely go for the LED version.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Jakal said:
If you're talking about the plastic one, then yeah. I was thinking the metal piece surrounding the cpu. Sorry.

I don't know what you are referring to exactly. The LED version uses the -exact- same parts as the AT. The back motherboard bracket, the socket front bracket, and the metal clip.. are all the same.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I suggest a fight. We tie one wrist of each of the parties involed togeather and give you both a knife. Last man standing is right by default. Unless you go back and look at my review of the Zalman and see that they both have the same Intel adapter.

Just my idea though. Perhaps it's just to Micheal Jackson-ish for you at this moment but think it over. I have some rope and a coulpe knives...

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I was speaking of this metal bracket, surrounding the cpu.
10ptz6t.jpg

When I first looked at the picture I didn't realize it was a cpu retention bracket. Not being an Intel aficionado, I didn't know of that style of bracket, which, isn't included in the Zalman kit. Pardon me for my ignorance.

U

Unregistered

The reason you had to remove the bracket

You installed the bracket wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why you can't remove the CPU without removing the bracket. Rotate the bracket 180 degrees and you will have it in the right spot. The corner with the circular cut-out should be where the clip hinges on the motherboard. Go to www.zalmanusa.com and you can see a movie on 775 installation warning you where to put the cut-out corner.

Rob Williams said:
Looking for the ultimate air cooling solution for your Intel 775? The Zalman 9500AT may be up your alley, but may prove a little pricey for your liking. Installation proved a little problematic, but the cooling ability is evident.

After reading my review here, feel free to discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
You installed the bracket wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why you can't remove the CPU without removing the bracket. Rotate the bracket 180 degrees and you will have it in the right spot. The corner with the circular cut-out should be where the clip hinges on the motherboard. Go to www.zalmanusa.com and you can see a movie on 775 installation warning you where to put the cut-out corner.

The problem is not with the arm used to raise the socket cover, it's a problem with not enough clearence for the door on the socket to raise up. I rotated the included bracket all four possible ways, and neither would allow the door to full open.

I had someone else e-mail me regarding this, and that's when I double checked. So, it's not a problem with the arm.. it's a problem with the door not getting enough clearence.

U

Unregistered

RE: The reason you had to remove the bracket

I have an Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and a Pentium D 930 and a Pentium D 805. It takes two minutes to unscrew the 2 screws, pop out the other CPU and pop in the other and re-tighten the unit. It opens fine. I don't know why you had a problem with it other than the fact that you must put that circular cut-out where it shows you, which is 180 degrees either way from how you had it installed in the picture. There is no removing the bracket to change out CPUs. If there was after taking the motherboard out to install the unit in the first place I'd jump off a bridge. I'm serious. If you go to www.zalmanusa.com and watch the 775 installation movie it highlights that circular cut-out and flashes it in red, over and over and it must be in only one position, the handle side at the base of the hinge.

U

Unregistered

Additional Install Note

I notice now that this is an old review...it was just referenced at a different forum where I am a member. It appears that not only did you manage to get the bracket rotated, but the cooler itself is installed backwards if I am not mistaken. The fan should be in the innermost region of the case, blowing the exhaust towards the back panel and the exhaust fan, not into the main cavity of the case, and definitely not directly onto your RAM.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I notice now that this is an old review...it was just referenced at a different forum where I am a member. It appears that not only did you manage to get the bracket rotated, but the cooler itself is installed backwards if I am not mistaken. The fan should be in the innermost region of the case, blowing the exhaust towards the back panel and the exhaust fan, not into the main cavity of the case, and definitely not directly onto your RAM.

Yes, you are completely right. From what I remember, I used both methods and settled on that one (for whatever reason). I used the proper rotation in my review of the 9700LED though:

http://techgage.com/article/zalman_9700led_cpu_cooler

U

Unregistered

I have one of these as well and am looking at enclosing teh entire setup inside a stove pipe. Diameter is just slightly larger and will fit.. This wind tunnel will accomplish 3 things

1. increase airflow over just the heatsinks.
2. reduce noise from fan in the process. I've got a Pentium D 960 and it gets pretty warm.
3. reduce ambient air temperature in the case itself

I won't be posting pictures or none of that junk cause it's quite honestly going to be ugly as sin!