Your worst experience with a computer?

Altrus

Coastermaker
Well, they say misery loves company so I thought I'd ask and see about some other peoples worst experiences with computers.

For me three events pop into my mind.((Ordered by my interest not date, desending order))
The first.....
was the time I dropped a Dell E310 on my unshoed foot, didn't break anything but my foot was swollen for a a day or two after. Hard to wear shoes at the time.
The Second...
was when I accidentally stuck my hand in the 120mm fan on my Antec 1200 case. Tears your hand up surprisingly well for a plastic fan.
The Third....
Was the time I was hit upside the head by a flail, made out of my own laptop mouse, by my friend Christien. All because I was playing skittle-basketball with the front of her shirt....hehe....he...:p

(( The second one was last night!))

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh geez, another thread to bring up dreaded memories!

The first PC I ever took seriously was a 286 we owned, complete with monochrome monitor. I loved that thing. It had some DOS overlay, but I don't quite recall what it even looked like. I just know it was a menu system, and allowed you to access various DOS programs quicker, such as games. Long story short, I had to format a floppy, and accidentally formatted the hard drive instead.

The, "<em>Are you sure you want to delete non-removable disk C:\?</em>" warning wasn't enough, I guess. Lesson learned!

If there was another unpleasant memory, it might be the time that our basement (living area) flooded, and I just so happened to have had my main PC sitting right on the carpet. The chassis was pure metal (I don't recall the material), and... let me just say, I really, really regretted touching it ;-) The basement was so damp for months afterwards, that the problem never went away until I simply chucked the entire chassis and moved to a new one.

Hope your hand heals fast! I've got my hand caught in a few fans, but the worst that's happened was simple aggravation.

evilives34

Obliviot
for me it would be the time when i was high school as a computer lab tech for the school and a power surge fried the surge protectors and about 50 school PCs also most of the school network(switches ,hubs ,modems)

trying to patch most of it back together so class could continue the next day with about 6 other people and the computer teacher was 8 hours of fun :mad:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Excellent thread idea!

4:30pm on a March afternoon... I'm in Toronto and gets a service call in London... Now this in itself is not unusual, the boss usually lets me start later the next day...

An hour and a half drive, leaving me 2 hours from home...

"Hi, what's wrong with your network..."
"Nothing's coming in from the server"

Ok, over to the server, plug the network cable back in and everythings up and working.
Really... This is what we call a BKC error... "Between Keyboard and Chair"...

This would probably go down as a rather humorous"computer stupidity" exept for the long drive home...
and the little matter that it was pouring down a nasty mix of snow and freezing rain.

I got home at 3:30pm the next day ....
Needless to say I was not amused. Our phone guys never even asked them to check the cables, so I billed the support team for the service call... 24 hours at $36 per hour.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
evilives34 said:
for me it would be the time when i was high school as a computer lab tech for the school and a power surge fried the surge protectors and about 50 school PCs also most of the school network(switches ,hubs ,modems)

Whoa, wait a sec. A power surge killed THAT many computers? How is that possible?! Either way, what an incredibly huge mess... I couldn't imagine dealing with that!

2Tired2Tango said:
Ok, over to the server, plug the network cable back in and everythings up and working.

Ugh, man... that is... ugh. At least you got a nice paycheck out of the ordeal!