Your thoughts on Quad Core?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I still think that there will never really be a need for it among 90% of all computer users.

Think about everyone you know that uses a comp. That includes some grandma's these days. Do the mammy's mimi's tipi's and mema's need it? Does your mom? dad? little sister for looking at myspace? Hell, the avg college student?

no.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Most won't ever "NEED" a quad, even when more apps start taking advantage of them. Gamers on the other hand "MAY" in the future when future games come of age, that's why I'm still waiting, maybe the next gen..................;) But I'll still be looking at what supports them and what doesn't.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I bought the cheapest Quad possible (Xeon X3210) and I cannot honetsly tell the difference from the E6600 I had.

Yes, but you, like most of us here, simply want the latest and greatest because it's just that... the latest and greatest. Swieb and I got into that micro arms race a couple of years ago, trying to beat each other's Aquamark3 scores. He ultimately won when he got the FX-57, but it was fun (read: foolish) to keep upgrading for no damned reason.

That said, I can see quad cores becoming the norm in 4-5 years, simply because thats the way the industry is heading. That and Intel can hurt AMD significantly by pressing the 4 core issue. Intel is in a much better position to pump out A LOT of CPUs, with multiple cores. Far more than AMD can. Dual cores are standard now and as more and more people are given more cores on their PC, it gives the developers and programmers more and more initiative to make their programs multi-threaded.

Is there an absolute need for 4 cores now for the masses? No, but I can see the day that there will be. Just not now.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to save up for my own Yorkfield. Quad cores FTW! :p

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Just read this morning that Intel is releasing their first Yorkfield on November 12 of this year.......;)

Intel's Extreme Edition "Yorkfield" processor will launch on November 12; sub-3.0 GHz variants will launch in the first half of January 2008

Intel’s latest roadmap reveals upcoming additions to its desktop processor lineup. Unfortunately, anybody awaiting a straightforward naming convention will need to hold out a bit longer as the processor numbers for desktop Yorkfield and Wolfdale chips complicate the naming situation even further.

The launch of an Extreme Edition version of a chip before mainstream offerings follows Intel’s modus operandi, and as such the rest of the Penryn family will not be seen until the first half of January 2008. The company ambiguously names January 2nd through 20th as the slated launch date for the processors, though companies generally tend to time launch events with trade shows. The 2008 International Consumer Electronics Show starts on January 7, 2008.

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Preps+45nm+Quadcore+Desktop+Launch/article9070.htm

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Yes, but you, like most of us here, simply want the latest and greatest because it's just that... the latest and greatest. Swieb and I got into that micro arms race a couple of years ago, trying to beat each other's Aquamark3 scores. He ultimately won when he got the FX-57, but it was fun (read: foolish) to keep upgrading for no damned reason.

That said, I can see quad cores becoming the norm in 4-5 years, simply because thats the way the industry is heading. That and Intel can hurt AMD significantly by pressing the 4 core issue. Intel is in a much better position to pump out A LOT of CPUs, with multiple cores. Far more than AMD can. Dual cores are standard now and as more and more people are given more cores on their PC, it gives the developers and programmers more and more initiative to make their programs multi-threaded.

Is there an absolute need for 4 cores now for the masses? No, but I can see the day that there will be. Just not now.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to save up for my own Yorkfield. Quad cores FTW! :p

Agreed 110%. I got it because I could at the time, definitely not because I really needed it. I would advise most of the world to wait since there is nothing really using it yet.