Your highest 'Powered On' hard drive?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For interest's sake, I decided to load up HD Tune and see what the oldest-running drive I have is, and it turns out to be Seagate's 1TB Barracuda, running for a total of 32574 hours (~3.7 years).

seagate_1tb_3_years.png

What have you guys got?

madmat

Soup Nazi
My 8 year old WD1600JB SATA has 43,818 hours on it. Next is a Seagate 500gig with 36,000+ and the last is another Seagate 500gig with 24,000+.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Damn now I am going to have to go searching. The 2 320 GB drives that make up my recording array were in my laptop for 3 years it would be nice to see what they say.

My oldest so far a 250 GB 2.5 inch I bought in 2008 as a usb enclosure ripped it out and put it into my laptop. It then served as my PS3 hard drive and now is a storage drive is at 4,214 hours.

I only have a couple drives under 1 TB that are SATA which is all I have I can hoop up and read the smart data for still. Not sure what I will find. Its been a long time since I had a desktop that was on 24/7. I usually hibernated the laptops.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Main system here is 11436 (1.3 years) on a WD Black drive. Nothing special there.

But... *rummages through his ancient collection of semi-deceased drives*

An old 80GB Maxtor drive at... 38781 (4.4 years)...
hd_powertime4years.png

Wonder what the drives are like on my server... probably not that spectacular.

Last edited:

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
My 1 TB Hitachis are only at ~17800 and the newest is ~14900 lol My ssd is only 3300. Nice and low.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Give me a few years and I'll catch up to you big boys (assuming you power down your highest drives now ;-)).

My 1 TB Hitachis are only at ~17800 and the newest is ~14900 lol My ssd is only 3300. Nice and low.

Hah! Even my SSD is getting up there... 12,694. Helps that the machine is on 24/7 though. The smallest I have is the 1TB VR drive, at 1,777.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I wanna sell my Hitachis though, unfortunately I really want to replace them with Hitachis though....... (3 TBs but they don't really make them anymore)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It strikes me odd that 3TB drives are still stupid expensive (vs. 2TB). I am not even sure I want to check back up on 4TB.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Well, Hitachi 4TB drives are $300. I don't really want to pay that when a Hitachi 3TB is only ~$200 or less where I have found them.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes that's just it... and then 2TBs are about $100-$130. 3TB and 4TB really skyrocket in price. It kind of sucks, but I have so much space and feel like I need more, so I might just be greedy.