You know your overclocked went to far when..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sometimes when overclocking goes bad, the results crack me up.

Attachments

• corsair_6400pro_badoc.jpg
    corsair_6400pro_badoc.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 842

tugovony

Obliviot
The title of the thread is "You know your overclocked went to far when.. ". I would say you know it went too far if your computer catches on fire. If your computer is not on fire yet, then you still got plenty of room to overclock. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, when my 6800GT blew up, it didn't just spark, it took out the entire floors power too. Too bad this wasn't related to overclocking or else I would have had something to really brag about.

Lothar

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
Well, when my 6800GT blew up, it didn't just spark, it took out the entire floors power too.

That must have been pretty fun. I'd've liked to see what the card looked like after. I hope you got your money back.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I won't get started on a wild tangent about how I feel about BFG, but I hate that model with the utmost passion. They are apparently sending me another replacement, which will be the fourth 6800GT from them I've had.

Each one has been shit.

LOOP

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
I won't get started on a wild tangent about how I feel about BFG, but I hate that model with the utmost passion. They are apparently sending me another replacement, which will be the fourth 6800GT from them I've had.

Each one has been shit.

Funny you should mention BFG. My BFG card died when overclocking. At the time, i couldn't figure out what happened. I mean I was NOT overclocking it that much so it should not of died. Later, after researching stuff on the internet, I found out from other people that BFG replaced the standard OEM heatsink with a type of their own that was VERY junky. That piece of junk heatsink, was why the card died when only doing a small amount of overclocking.

LOOP

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
Out of curiosity, which card model was this?

It was a 6800 Graphics card, but it had the exact same type of heatsink that they use on the 6800 GT cards.

I did some research after my card died, and I found out that the heatsink they gave you was a piece of junk. The OEM heatsink was actually better! The only graphics card I ever seen where the manufacturer stuck a new heatsink on it, that was WORST then the OEM-type heatsink. When I say OEM heatsink, I mean the heatsink that Nvidia designed for the card.

The heatsink that they gave you on the BFG card can cause the card to burn out and die in no time. It was a pure copper heatsink with two tiny fans on it. The problem is that the heatsink was almost totally FLAT. Almost totally flat, with not sufficient heat flow. It did have a few tiny little pieces of metal sticking up, but not enough to do any good. You can remove the metal cover from the BFG heatsink to get a good look at how poorly it was constructed.

If you want absolute proof of how badly the heatsink was on the BFG. You can do a search on the internet for reviews on the BFG 6800 and 6800 GT. Most of the reviews that were written before the card went retail had the OEM heatsink on them, and in those reviews you can look at the temperature values that the reviewer reported. Before the card went retail, the manufacturer used OEM heatsinks. Then you can go check out reviews that were written after the card went retail and BFG stuck the piece of junk heatsink on it. In those reviews the temperature values are always a LOT higher then in the reviews written BEFORE it went retail. Absolute proof that the heatsink that BFG put on the cards was a piece of junk and worst then the OEM heatsink.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
LOOP said:
The heatsink that they gave you on the BFG card can cause the card to burn out and die in no time.

The sad thing is.. they will not admit this. I have been through three cards and they are apparently sending another one, even after I refused to ever use one of these models again. Their customer service is just as bad as this card.

I reviewed the card last June or July, and since I personally bought it, it had the crappy heatsink. This card model has been nothing but a pain in the ass, and I completely lost any interest in every buying or recommending another BFG card.

ducarti

Obliviot
tugovony said:
The title of the thread is "You know your overclocked went to far when.. ". I would say you know it went too far if your computer catches on fire. If your computer is not on fire yet, then you still got plenty of room to overclock. :)

Must be a serious overclocker then.

Myself I overclock, but I never yet set a computer on fire. Guess I'm just small league.

LOOP

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
The sad thing is.. they will not admit this.

Did you really expect them to admit it? It would be like Microsoft admitting that they release totally buggy software to their users with Version 1, and it is not until Version 2 or 3 of a product before they iron out the bugs. I never seen a version 1 of any Microsoft product work without a shitload of problems.

As far as BFG, I doubt I will ever see a BFG overclock well out of the box. I wish I was a little smarter when I got my BFG card, and I would of replaced the heatsink immediately. Now I'm stuck with a Ti-4200 video card, until I get money for another video card. To say that I'm not happy with BFG is an understatement.

Well atleast me and you, can let other people know about BFG, and try to turn people away from buying them. Everytime I don't recommend the card, I know I'm getting back at them for the lost money, time and aggravation I had due to the extremely junky heatsink and poor design of the BFG card they sold me. Companies like BFG who sell junk, will find themselves without a customer base in the end, because word of mouth spreads fast over the internet.