XP Sp2 Issues

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I noticed this once before but didn't think anything of it until now...

Okay, so I've got XP Pro installed. I've gotten the updates and just about everything needed. My games have been installed and I've been playing Day of Defeat. My normal ping ranges from 60-80, with max being around 150. I install more updates and everything is fine. Then I install Sp2. I immediately noticed that my ping has doubled and even tripled since then. The regular servers I play on now give me a ping of 150+.

I looked into this and found out about the QoS packet scheduler thing and set it to 0%. That effectively disables Microsoft from stealing my bandwidth. I go back to the server status to find that I still am pinging at 120+. No other straining applications are running and there's nothing to hinder the network.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, is there a way to fix it without reformatting and NOT installing Sp2?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The most noteable addition to SP2 is the Windows Firewall. I would see if that's disabled and see if that makes a difference.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I turned it off and managed to drop the ping by ~20, but that could be the traffic and connections of the other players. I still think there's something included in sp2 that's creating the problem. I'll keep playing around with it I guess.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Open up a cmd prompt (Start > Run > 'cmd') and type in 'ping techgage.com' and see what your average ms is.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am still not sure if it's Windows for sure though, because that's a damned wierd thing to just happen. I've installed SP2 on six computers and haven't had such a wierd problem.

If you are willing to download a 60MB Linux distro that's self booting, let me know. We could ping the server that way outside of Windows to make sure that it is Windows.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Yeah it's worth a shot. I pinged google and got 200+ :/. This is quite irritating. I'm paying for a 3mb broadband connection and it's being crippled somehow.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Click here to download. You will need a blank CD to burn the image to.

If you boot up with that, you will need to push enter so that you will enter into the live environment. As soon as you hit a command prompt, you may be good to go already, just type 'ping techgage.com' or any other website.

If your net doesn't work right off the bat, type 'ifconfig' and see what ethernet adapter is listed, probably eth0 or eth1.

Type this in, 'dhcpcd eth0' or eth1 depending. Once that's done, you should be connected to the internet so try pinging a server again.

If THAT doesn't work, then a last resort is to try 'net-setup eth0' which just has some on screen directions to set it up.

Last edited:

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Ok well I couldn't do anything with that. I used "ping techgage.com", I tried google and nothing. Then I tried the ifconfig and ping and on down the line and still I couldn't get a response. All I'd get was "uknown host techgage.com" or whichever.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you try

dhcpcd eth0
or
dhcpcd eth1

It's probably 0, and will take a second to click in. If it doesn't work, then sorry. There are other Linux distros that would work to test also, but they are much larger than 60MB, hehe.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Yeah I tried all of it. I was checking out linuxisos.org. I'll try to find another live version so I don't need another hard drive. This is really bugging me though.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Ok well I couldn't get that do do anything. I burned to a dvd then it booted right to the suse screen. Supposedly loaded the hardware video and pc information then it went to a black screen with a mouse cursor. It sat like that for over 2 hours. Then I turned the pc off because the hard drive and dvd rom weren't spinning. Ah well.. I disabled something through msconfig that helped. I'm down to 80 now so, I guess I'll live with that. Thanks Rob.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You could try booting the CD with the string 'apci=off', which may help. Sorry to hear that you couldn't get it working though.

If 80 is good for you, then that's ok. That's usually what I get in CS: S and such also.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
hmm I read the thread and figured... why not ping techgage myself?

Im not happy either... Seems i have the same problem and i didnt notice it. I dont usually run alot of twitch programs though.

Max: 128ms
Min: 118ms
Avg: 121ms

This is very odd... Im running a pretty damn good cable connection. Rob you know my MOBO specs... wtf is up with this? I ping the l2 servers at 70-80... and thats on a full server.

EDIT: I pinged google at <= 56, >= 55, ~55

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It could have been that the site was busy at the time. I'm way further from the TG server than you are and I ping it for 44. You could have also had something else running at the same time, I dunno.