XFX 7600 GS A Little Old...Any Comments?

ROFLCOPTERNICK

Obliviot
I'm new here.

Yesterday I got an XFX 7600 GS PCI-e 16X, the 256MB version.

Anyone got any comments about it?

Was my $20 investment a good one?

Should I get rid of it?

NicePants42

Partition Master
So what exactly do you want us to say?

Matt tells you that it's a decent overclocker - you ask about heat
Matt points out that you can just add a fan if it gets hot - and now you say that'll cost too much.

Where are you shopping that a fan costs $25? Jab-tech.com sells 120mm Yate Loons for under $5 a pop, and all you'd have to do is mount it facing the right direction.

It sounds like you just really don't want to use it. If that's the case, then don't.

ROFLCOPTERNICK

Obliviot
No, I do want to use it. I know a 120mm is cheap...I was replying to moon111...he said replace the heatsink with a fan...would that work?

madmat

Soup Nazi
I think he means with a GPU HSF unit not just "a fan".

I fail to see why you don't want to use it, I have a 7600GT in my lan rig and it's actually a decent little card.

You know, come to think about it, I have a nice GPU HSF sitting in a box, I might just slap it on the card in my lan rig and do away with the huge HSF on it.

NicePants42

Partition Master
No, I do want to use it. I know a 120mm is cheap...I was replying to moon111...he said replace the heatsink with a fan...would that work?

Yes, he meant that you could replace the passive heatsink with a new HSF. This would definitely work, but until you actually put the card in your system and overclock it, you won't know if extra cooling is needed.

However, if you were to place a 120mm fan such that it is blowing onto the large passive heatsink, you'd probably be fine.

ROFLCOPTERNICK

Obliviot
Hmm yeah. Sounds like a good idea. I think I'm just gonna sell it cuz I have a 7600GT in my other system. Thanks everyone for the input...does anyone have an idea of what I could get rid of this card for?

madmat

Soup Nazi
No telling, try doing a search for it at some of the bigger forums in their FS&T forum sections.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm not telling because I have no honest idea, I would hate to say too little and have you get scalped or too much and have you lose a sale.

As to a 478 mobo, try looking around at various forums. I have a 478 mobo sitting on a shelf but you wouldn't want to pay what I'd want for it. It's one of the best overclocking 478 boards ever made although many won't believe it based on who made it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Chaintech 9CJS Zenith. 875I chipset, 2 X SATA, 1-10/100 ethernet, 1-gigabit ethernet, supports up to 4Gb ram, VIA Envy 24bit audio onboard. Comes with a media reader/post code display and remote control. Also has a bunch of software bundled in like Win DVD and stuff. The remote requires no drivers under XP which is cool, it even has a mouse 360 degree control.

The least I'd take for it is $100. I've had my 2.4C up to nearly 3.3Ghz on it at 273FSB stable and I've heard of guys with PC4400 hitting 300FSB on this board.

I really have no desire to sell it and since I paid nearly $400 for it new I'm not selling it terribly cheaply either.

madmat

Soup Nazi
No, I don't need it, I have a 7950 in my main rig and the 7600GT in my lan rig. I'm set as far as GPU's go.