Xbox music, because when I reach for my Xbox I want music?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's not limited to just the Xbox, is the thing. It can also be used with an app on Windows, Windows Phone and soon, Android and iOS. I am not sure if Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot with the "Xbox" branding, because most people end up thinking it's just for the Xbox. It's best to consider this to be Zune 2.0. Similar service, far better support, and a free streaming option.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There is going to be a speckled roll-out, but the ultimate goal is to support a wide-range of platforms. I am just hoping the Android and iOS apps don't take forever. I think Microsoft is going to be deliberately delaying the release of those to help support the Windows 8 / Phone 8 launch.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Probably. Don't want to dilute the brand even if it means lowering revenue. I know I'm not changing phones to one with their OS simply for a music service. Not when I can buy music literally anywhere and transfer it to my Android powered phone via a USB cable.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm still waiting for one of these services to begin offering lossless options. I don't understand what's taking so long, given storage is so cheap. I refuse to pay a buck or more for a regular bitrate MP3 unless I -really- want just one song from an album (and even that's rare). I just think paying for a lesser-quality option is less than ideal. With lossless you can convert to whatever you want after-the-fact. You can't take your MP3 or AAC and convert it into lossless, yet you're paying the same for the music pretty-well (versus buying the actual disk in the store).

/rant

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yep, I agree. There needs to be a lossless option especially if the RIAA succeeds in their evil plot to kill the CD.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Just saw it via your link. Forgive me for being dense but how are lyrics being hosted on a site hurting music publishers? Now, I could see it if the site also hosted illegal song downloads or full sheet music which was being viewed for free but lyrics?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Clearly, you are not considering the fact that people could read the lyrics and sing the song themselves!

I guess it's considered literature just like a book. Posting contents of a book isn't legal either in most cases. It's still the stupidest case ever... people purchase music for the music, not just for the words.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
So how're you guys liking the Xbox 360 Metro interface? Or has that not rolled out just yet?

As for the lyrics judgment.... that was a default ruling, meaning the guy didn't even bother to show up and follow the rules of the court proceedings. If he had I suspect it would've turned out in his favor after the appeals process finally played out. He pretty much brought the ruling upon himself.