XBOX 360 CPU To Go 65nm

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
VNU reports that Microsoft has solidified a deal with Chartered Semiconductor to change the process size of the XBOX 360 CPU from 90nm to 65nm. As foundries begin to pick up 65nm production, it will be cheaper for Chartered Semiconductor to produce the CPUs on a 65nm process since the company can dedicate resources to new production lines rather than stick to legacy production

Maybe this will actually help out the temp issues that have plagued people since launch. Too bad there won't be a clock speed increase in the process though.

DailyTech

Ben

Site Developer
No doubt, but only time will tell before they over clock them, for sure.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, they don't overclockem, but clockemup. 65nm has proven to be faster than 90nm chips, so there's no doubt the chips may be faster just because they will run cooler.

leecho7

Partition Master
So does this mean anyone who has an Xbox 360 now, has officially been screwed by Microsoft?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Not at all. This is a common practice that has been around forever. If a new technology comes out that could save the manufacturer money, why not do it. Programers aren't even scratching the surface of the current procs so we will be fine.

Now if they start using HD-DVD in the coming 360s for the same price, then yes, we got hosed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
DarkSynergy said:
Now if they start using HD-DVD in the coming 360s for the same price, then yes, we got hosed.

Yup, I agree. Of course, HD-DVD wasn't available back with the first revisions, but you would think an HD-DVD capable 360 _would_ have to cost more than a regular system.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
hmm... im curious to know the actual price differance per unit in this case. I think this is a direct move to under price sony later at launch. True they are cheaper now, but a greater gap means ^ sells.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Both Sony and Microsoft have went through the roof with prices. Something that turns most gamers off. I'm not trying to start a price arguement or anything. I just know that you can buy a pc for less than their starting prices. Quite dissappointing. Mom and Dad are going to be forking over money for these systems, not the kids. I wouldn't buy one for that price.

leecho7

Partition Master
Last year, people were spending over $1000 for an Xbox 360. I don't know how well Sony's PS3 will do. If they are planning to ship 2 million to the US on launch day, I'm not sure the demand will be as high as the 360. Not only do we have more systems to sell, which I believe is double the amount of 360's that were released on launch day, but the prices are a lot higher. We're talking about about a 200-300 dollar increase with prices clocking at $499-$599 compared to the 360's $299-$399.