Would you upgrade your PC for an operating system?

Would you upgrade your PC for a new Windows?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Possibly..

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You can refer to this news posting.

If this proves true, then the next version of Windows will require a 256MB GPU, and 2GB of DDR3 (Which is not even out yet) memory. Meaning no matter how great your computer is now, they recommend you'd need DDR3, which means a motherboard and memory upgrade.

I've upgraded a few times in the past for games, but never an OS. Would you upgrade your computer, only to experience the new OS to the fullest potential?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Unless the new Microsoft OS (I speak of it in vague terms because the name Vista is really gay) does my laundry, I am not upgrading for it. Now, the jump that XP was above ME and 98SE, yes, I might consider it but I am more than happy with XP Pro and that aint changing!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't know. Maybe I'm a tech whore.. but I think I would. It really depends on what the OS can do. If I lost a lot of functionality due to not having the right hardware, I would likely upgrade.

Ben

Site Developer
No, I wouldn't and I'll tell you why. The only reason I would upgrade is for games, and no gaming company would dare not support XP for at least a few years in Vista.

My gaming withdrawals are satisfied nicely with a little bit of The Oregon trail for the Macintosh. Nothing beats The Oregon Trail.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Orbit said:
My gaming withdrawals are satisfied nicely with a little bit of The Oregon trail for the Macintosh. Nothing beats The Oregon Trail.

Haha! Classic.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
There's always a chance that the guy was simply out of his mind...
I suppose Microsoft would be able to sell these OS bundled with a new system, but that system would also be hardcore, price-wise. If an Alienware clone could be built by oneself for a substantially lower prise, then I wonder what will happen with the DDR3 systems...

In any case, anything would run well in a hardcore system...Might as well say that an act by God will make the computer run the Vista best. We don't need to hear maximum requirements (that are concievable).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ok, this was actually clarified, and I forgot to update the thread. The guy who made those speculations ended up taking them back, stating that they would only be the 'hardcore' setup and will not be required for Vista.

Thank god.

Blumen

Coastermaker
I would, but again, only depending on what else it would do.

I really could care less about how it would look, which i think is where the 256mb gpu thing is going. If it's more powerful, and required DDR3, then yeah, i might go there. But production isn't going to be helped by making it look pretty.

'Course... this should all be taken with a grain of salt, as i'm still on Socket A, baby.

Clarence

Obliviot
I basically did, my old computer couldn't handle anything over Windows 98, so I just decided to get a whole new one. I won't upgrade again unless my current operating system gets so out of date I can't do anythign with it.

Word.

E.M.I.
Does it wash

I'd buy a whole new PC if the new OS would let me play games AND wash my dishes a the same time ALONG with maybe scratch my arse for me also? LOL :D

madmat

Soup Nazi
No, I'm happy with XP and I'm not going to shell out for a whole new pc (the case will likely need to be BTX by then) just to run a new OS, that's just insane.

Heck, I'd like to try a 7800 but I'm not dumping my AGP rig just to do it, it's got plenty of life left in it and until it's too slow to do anything I'm hanging onto it.

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
Personally, I think that if some of the requirements that M$ is saying will be the standard for the new OS are crap. With that off my chest, I think that most of us will have already upgraded to something really close to what the OS is required. IF M$ does come out and say that you have to have hardware thats just that freaking brand new there will be plenty of ppl buying brand new systems just so they can have the new OS. I remember when XP came out and the huge buying of new systems just to be able to use XP.

Depending on when vista(?) comes out and where I am in my life at that time, will determine if I go out and buy a new system just for the OS. It seems to me that M$ will only make those requirements if hardware sales are lower then expected, just to make sure ppl buy the hardware. DAMN WHOREs

please excuse my ramblings I just woke up and its 5:30 in the morning.