World Browser Market Share - January 2011

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
So with the first month of the year gone, leaving me clueless as to where it went, lets have a look at how the Internet browser market is fairing. The big news would be that Chrome has finally broken the double digit barrier at 10.7% market share, up from 9.98% in December. This is largely due to taking chunks out of IE, which has hit an all time low of 56% (makes it sound worse than it is when you put it that way).

browserwars_jan2011_020211.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
thank God ppl are starting to move away from IE!!

The biggest shift will be when businesses, corporations, universities, government agencies, and any other large organizations finally migrate away from Windows XP... IE6 market share will almost vanish in such case, although that might mean IE8 will be sticking around for quite a long time...

For example my Alma mater still used XP and IE6 across all campus and lab systems, which is well north of the thousand PC's mark, and not all systems allowed people to use browsers other than IE6.

I can't wait until some browser develops sidebar tab stacking placement as I'll migrate on the spot... I am getting tired of Opera's inconsistencies and incessant quirky bugs that are never fixed.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Did a bit of digging, found this for firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-sidebar/

Not the most elegant solution, even with previews turned off, each side-tab is still quite large... too many oversized buttons clogging up the interface.

firefox_sidebar-tabs.png

Think Firefox 4 will be able to do something similar in the future, waiting for the final version atm. The tab grouping system works well enough, though it is a bit cumbersome.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Tharic-Nar, thanks for the digging! That appears to be a new (or very, very updated version) plug-in... the last time I tried a Firefox plug-in that enabled Opera-like customization and tab-functionality the results were less than pretty. And very crash prone.

As you said that doesn't exactly look elegant, but it's a start. I'll keep an eye on it as I bet they will eventually refine it down... again thanks for the link & image. :)

Here's my current tab stacking setup for comparison:

Opera 11 also has tab grouping just like Firefox, so I could theoretically group dozens of tabs under one or two single tabs. But I simply open a second window and flip between windows to access various groups of tabs just because it's easy, quick, and faster than any sort of tab scrolling or grouping system I've tried to date. With so much horizontal space left unused I've never met a website I needed to scroll sideways, so putting the tabs there is just a no-brainer. :)