Wood Computer

Muddy

Obliviot
Ok yesterday i decided to build a wood case to fit the computer in my specs. Yesterday I went to Home Depot and bought a couple pieces of wood. I just finished cutting out the two side panels for it.

This case is going to be as simple as I can make it. There will be 2 fans (intake and outtake) Outtake will be on the top and the intake will be on the side panel. I also bought wood finish so I wont get any splinters when its done. Its going to be awsome. I just need some ideas for the on switch :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You should post some pics of your progress!

As for an on switch, if you are not using your old case, you could rip the PCB and cables out and put it in your new case. I wish I knew of a better way, haha. I'm sure someone else does.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
First, I'd suggest more fans. Unlike metal, wood will just insulate the heat inside. It would probably be better to put at least 2 in the front one in the top and one in the side. That would probably be a little overkill but it's better than trapping the heat.
The button? You can probably pick up a small plunger button/switch from a good electronics store. A surface mount one would work. Or you could hide a switch somewhere in the back of the case to keep the face looking clean.
Good luck with the project, and keep us posted!

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Aside from the issue of wood have thermal insulating properties...another thing to consider is that wood has absolutely no conductive properties. By that i mean, you can not ground yor electrical through wood.

The way it typically works...

Your motherboard is attatched to a mounting tray that is part of the case. And your case directly contacts your powersupply casing, where it routed to the ground pin on your power cable, and then through your homes electrical system.

So, if your doing a wood case right...you will need to scavenge a motherboard tray from a throw away case. Once youve done that, you should run some wire to the motherboard tray to the power supply to ground it properly. 13aug wire, should work fine. You can solder it to the mobo tray, and then put a i-hole crimp on the other end. Then run the i-hole on one of the power supply mounting screws.

Wood as a tendency to build up and hold static electricity. So you should REALLY take the time and the effort to properly ground your hardware.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I've seen other models made of wood and most start with the innards of an existing steel case. They use the metal for mounting the internal hardware. If you can scrounge up an old Gateway it would be helpful. Just strip all the excess off and use the mounting hardware from it as a start. You wouldn't have to keep the entire frame but having the motherboard tray, the 5 1/4 and 3.5 bays for mounting would sure help. Just throwing some ideas your way. Best of luck!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
WOW! best of luck man.

Are you going to stain it?

You should also look into specialty woods. There is this one type that ill look up the name for you later that you can find in hobby shops that breaths a lil easier that you could use on the front for bay drives and such.

It would be pimp if you could build the thing with little-no outside metal parts from other cases.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I was talking to my electronics professor today about building a custom computer case and asked him if he knew of a good place to pick a plunger or pushbutton switch up. Well he dug around some extra parts and gave me a plunger switch. the button itself sits inside of a round metal casing and the casing, by design, would sit on the mounting surface. It would protrude about a half inch above the surface, unless mounted deeper within the material. The button is black and the metal looks to me to be an unpolished aluminum. The button and casing are about an inch wide, but the force needed to push it would seem a bit much for a pc. If mounted on a thicker surface it'd work just fine. I'll post a pic of the included paperwork shortly.

Kilamon

E.M.I.
Like Jakal said, it's easiest to start with a frame and build up. It's almost necessary for the motherboard tray and PCI slots. Someone on PimpRig did a case of wood and they posted a worklog but I could not find it. I think tigerdirect has some cheap pressed steel cases for less than $20. It would be a good place to start.

Muddy

Obliviot
ok i tored apart the old dell case and took all the plastic off now i am left with some metal. I put the computer in the metal and I am posting off of it right now. Probably sometime this weekend I am going to go to radio shack and pick up a button of some sort, they usually have a good selection. Thanks for the help guys!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Jakal: That wood pc case you posted was more or less the kind of wood case i had in mind

I guess one of the bonuses to making a wooden case is that there really is no limitations to size fo shape... you can literally carve/mold/cut anything or shape you desire as long as you leave some breathing and cooling room.

Kilamon

E.M.I.
here's some links to stuff you may find interesting for inspiration...

Wireless Remote Power:
http://www.dansdata.com/jremote.htm

Wood Inlay:
http://www.inlays.com/

An AWESOME OMFG SO COOL fan:
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5665

Someone else's wood case:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article237-page1.html

Xoxide has some other cool products that might help like their Lubic kit or the OneTouch kit (which would make your PC's power work like a touch lamp).

Good luck on this. Maybe you can do some nice inlays, a little burnishing, some creative use of stains and paints, and a little carving along with some nice joinery like the old woodie cars and boats.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I like the wood case you posted about kilamon. The only thing I would do differently is buydifferent wood... and cut out all the other extra crap he threw in...

Seriously, if you design this thing with a decent layout noise shouldnt eb a problem.